Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front End Knock, Out of ideas, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Icon2 Front End Knock, Out of ideas, Anyone?

Ok guy's car is a 1999 Civic Si, It has a knock/pop noise in the front end that NO ONE can seem to figure out, It's on the drivers side and only happens with the wheel is slightly turned and sometimes just backing up in reverse, it's not all the time, Just randomly. So far EVERYTHING in the suspension has been replaced, all new ball joints, New upper control arms, new sway bar bushings and endlinks, All new Tokico struts, All new Neuspeed springs, All new axles on both sides. The noise has been there since before I put the new springs/struts on, Weird thing is the noise doesnt happen as much since I put the lowering springs/new struts on, it is still there though . The only things left to replace would be the lower control arm bushings and tie rods but they look to all be in great shape. Does anyone have any ideas? A buddy thinks maybe its in the crossmember or a spot weld came off somewhere . There is nothing wrong that anyone can see, we have spent hours under the car trying to find whats going on.

Any help/ideas would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Front End Knock, Out of ideas, Anyone?

I had the same problem not too long ago and the problem was the lower ball joint.But you already have new ball joints so it may be the tie rod or steering knuckle.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HOMEMADEPOWER
I had the same problem not too long ago and the problem was the lower ball joint.But you already have new ball joints so it may be the tie rod or steering knuckle.
Yeah im lost right now, Tie rods and lower control arm bushings are the only thing left to replace but they look to be in great condition and dont need replacing.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hows does the back of the front brake pads look? are they dry? sometimes when the ear tabs on the brake pads are dry you will get a clicking/poping sound when you reverse, go forward and brake..worth a try to lube up the brake pads backing plate and ears
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekb16
hows does the back of the front brake pads look? are they dry? sometimes when the ear tabs on the brake pads are dry you will get a clicking/poping sound when you reverse, go forward and brake..worth a try to lube up the brake pads backing plate and ears
i agree. take your front brakes apart, clean and lube the sliders and pads, install and try again
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekb16
Wow, never even thought about brakes, I did have slotted rotors installed and noticed the calipers and pads looked kinda rusty, The thing is though it sometimes does it when im NOT using the brakes, Could that still cause a noise? or only when the brakes are pressed?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93grayeg
Wow, never even thought about brakes, I did have slotted rotors installed and noticed the calipers and pads looked kinda rusty
Did you notice the noise after or around the same time you replaced your rotors?

Originally Posted by 93grayeg
The thing is though it sometimes does it when im NOT using the brakes, Could that still cause a noise? or only when the brakes are pressed?
Ehhh, yes they could I guess if they're bad enough.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 93 civic ex with the same prob. i swaped my upper control arms with new ball joints, but im assuming innner tie rod or a "beginning to wear cv joint" i could be wrong but thats my best bet. a possibility that it mite be the lower ball joint starting to go as well.