Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fried somthing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried somthing?

Ok, to start of this is a 92 civic lx 4 door. Well I have a Fog lamp from walmart on as my dome light. its all connected to the orignal wires on the dome light in the roof. it works great. but after a week of having it it made a pop noise from i think under my dash. this was when the switch on the dome light was in the middle so it comes on when the doors are open only. well i had my door open 30 minutes and it poped. i checked the fuse and it blew i put a bigger fuse in and it worked from then on. but then again it made a pop noise and the light went out. i checked and replaced the fuse again and it worked but just the sensor for the drivers side door does not work anymore. even with my alarm armed i can open my other 3 doors and the alarm goes off and the dome light comes on but the drivers side door i can open it and the light wont come on and alarm will not go off. i can tell when the dome light is on the on position it is much brighter then in the middle when the doors open.

So what did i mess up?
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fried somthing?

the fuses are rated at a certain amp for a reason, your not supposed to use larger just becasue the smaller one pops, it pops becasue its telling you somethign isnt right, not saying you should put a larger in
Old 05-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the tough part about using stock wiring to do stuff. Electronics are integrated and sometimes there is a fuse for a few electrical items at once. The best thing to do is run your own wires and put a fuse appropriate for what you're doing. The dome light you put it probably draws more current and thus popped the fuse (which is not enough to handle your aftermarket light). The thing with putting a larger fuse is that if there's another circuit running off of the same fuse, it might be damaged like you experienced. That's the reason it's best to run your own circuit off the battery with your own fuse which is appropriate for the current draw of your gadget.

Also, it's not a good idea to run a fog light as a dome light as that will drain your battery really quickly and you might get stranded if you're not careful--but who wants to think about things like that all the time.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i only use it when the car is on. I usually keep it off position. anyways so what could i look into for the drivers side door sensor? does anyone know how it runs and works?