Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

it freeway stalled/wont start, now it does for no reason/solid CEL... help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it freeway stalled/wont start, now it does for no reason/solid CEL... help?

bottom line, i'm afraid to drive and really need to. can you guys help out? Here's the back story:

- car = 94 civic Si HB all stock mechanics except AEM CAI. no ship stock ECU p28
- engine died 9PM in fast lane at about 80mph after about 15 min of driving - commute...lucky to have construction area to stop in.
- Tach went to 0 with no foot pedal response. Battery power good (new battery 1 month ago due to bad cold weather starting) dash lights worked speedo / tach, headlights etc...
- while coasting, clutch in...no CEL light or other blinking dash feedback lights. (as far as i can remember since i was in shock)
- on the shoulder, Engine wouldn't start back up or even crank. (no main relay clicks, no engine turn over, usually the case with a bad spark)
- next morning the same thing. PO'd - I left after turning ignition switch to position 3 several times only to discover alarm chirp (disable the "auto arming feature"). (could starter kill malfunction cause a rolling stall?) Clifford alarm, this crossed my mind since i don't understand how that feature works.
- pulled dist cap and looked for loose rotor. no such deal. the thing looks brand new, no odd smells or oil. Placed cap back on without tightening screws all the way. left overnight. * thought: Since the engine didn't turn over, I guess it really couldn't be the Dizzy although with my past bad ignitor history it was still a suspect. unless the Starter was mysteriously acting up at the same time as it has done on me once before but only when extra hot.

- next morning read about jumping 2pin connector then did it.
- CEL light comes on but does not flash. its a solid light. waited for a minute...still no blinking. turned ignition back off.
* what does this mean? Searches on forum/various opinions but nothing definitive. Any help here on a solid CEL/key to "on"(no engine)

- listening for the Main relay clicks and Fuel pump hum. All accounted for but not on the evening it stalled...(i dont recall anyhow)

- OK Here's what REALLY stumps me. After messing with the CEL/2 pin Jump, i turn the key and the car starts! ran well, even with loose Dizzy cap. Turned off engine, secured cap. Car starts every time now but i'm afraid to drive it of course. Timing was checked before all this and it was set correctly.
-rechecked the CEL/engine off. Still solid/non blinking.

* Someone mentioned Safe Mode for the ECU, is this a feature on a P28, how does this work? Perhaps a likely reason my car starts and runs? what do you guys think?

...typical behavior?

Because the car started/idles and revs and doesn't give a specific CEL code, im puzzled about what to do from here. I must track down the source of the random stall and have no idea where to begin. Presuming the coil went bad temporarily im starting with trading the Distributor under a 1yr warranty... Thing is i still have no feed back to the issue except a solid CEL.

anyhow im not sure where to test/go from here...im gonna replace the Dizzy like I said, to rule out bad coil and ignitor/intermittent behavior. Please help, cant afford to put too more $$ into the car.