Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Flywheel Myths?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flywheel Myths?

Can somone clear up these lightwieght flywheel myths?

-Car stalls easier and when downshifting.

-Harder to get going from a stand still.

-You lose torque.

-Is 8.5lb. to light for daily driving?

-Revs drop to fast when shifting, causing the car to bog.

-When at a stand still with the clutch in, the car will stall.

That is all the ones that people say different thing on. Some people say yes, others say no. People that actually have a lightened flywheel please post your wieght and opinions. I am going to run a 8.3lb. chromoly flywheel with exedy stage 1 clutch kit.

Oh and I have read all the lightweight flywheel threads on H-T (in every section too).
Old 05-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Flywheel Myths? (Bond)

1 Won't stall easier, just the revs will drop quicker.

2 Yes, because of the reduced inertia, you will have to rev the engine more to move.

3 Yes, you lose torque "feel". However, I don't think you actually lose torque.

4 Probably not in an EG, since the car is so light.

5 Not bog, but can and will drop out of powerband unless you shift faster or powershift.

6 No.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:00 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

true for some, some have all. The torque loss makes sense but im not sure on that one. Most problems are intermittent and drive people crazy. I'm against them, I've seen the stress they cause. IMO the power gain isnt worth the extra $ with the expected driveability issues.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:03 PM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can somone clear up these lightwieght flywheel myths?

-Car stalls easier and when downshifting.

-You lose torque.

-Is 8.5lb. to light for daily driving?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) No unless you completely suck *** at downshifting it probably will not happen. I rev-match all the time.

2) From a stand still, its only a little difficult at first because it revs a little easier and if you panic and let off the gas completely, the revs drop pretty quick which may cause you to stall out, but once you get used to it, its fine.

3) I think if anything you gain torque, not positive though.

4) Mines 8.5lbs and I commute to college everyday in heavy traffic, which sucks.

5) Revs dont drop significantly. Sometimes I forget I even have a lightened flywheel.

6) Car will not stall at least mine doesn't

This is on an Exedy 8.5lbs Flywheel which I've had for about 6months.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know about that. With the lighter rotating mass, if anything was wrong (IACV, vac leak) it would make it that much easier to stall. More like making a problem more evident than causing a problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-Car stalls easier and when downshifting.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The flywheel is rotating mass that keeps the engine rotating. A lighter flywheel will cause the engine to spin up faster (less mass to accelerate), but at the same time, it will also allow the engine to decelerate faster becasue there is less mass to keep it rotating. So in a way, those points above could be true. The revs will drop faster when the clutch is in.

In an indirect way, it could cause the car to stall easier (the revs will drop suddenly, instead of having mass that would slow so you could catch it before it stalls) or harder to get going (requires a more delicate modulation of the throttle). Light flywheels suck for daily driving if there is stop and go or city driving involved for these reasons.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel Myths? (JohnnyWash1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnnyWash1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1 Won't stall easier, just the revs will drop quicker.

2 Yes, because of the reduced inertia, you will have to rev the engine more to move.

3 Yes, you lose torque "feel". However, I don't think you actually lose torque.

4 Probably not in an EG, since the car is so light.

5 Not bog, but can and will drop out of powerband unless you shift faster or powershift.

6 No.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I think your right. Anyone else have any opinions or personal experience?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO when racing on the highway, say 70 mph u have less mass moving the car and i think u have less of an edge on people without them. i can tell from my own experiences, i have fidanza 8lb and i think its great for scooting around town but when u are on the highway the engine has less momentum keeping it going. just my 2 cents if theyre worth anything
Old 05-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbosnatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosnatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO when racing on the highway, say 70 mph u have less mass moving the car and i think u have less of an edge on people without them. i can tell from my own experiences, i have fidanza 8lb and i think its great for scooting around town but when u are on the highway the engine has less momentum keeping it going. just my 2 cents if theyre worth anything</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's odd. You seem to have it backward. Here is how it goes. Because of the extra mass, more hp is required to move a heavier flywheel. Once it is moving, this mass is translated into easy driveability, due to the inertia of a heavier mass spinning. Look at it this way. If you have a rope tied to a 20lb weight and tried to spin it above your head, it would take awhile. But if it were attached to no weight, it would quickly spin, but also quickly slow down if you stopped applying pressure. On the highway is where you would benefit the most from the lighter flywheel, not around town.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JohnnyWash1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnnyWash1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's odd. You seem to have it backward. Here is how it goes. Because of the extra mass, more hp is required to move a heavier flywheel. Once it is moving, this mass is translated into easy driveability, due to the inertia of a heavier mass spinning. Look at it this way. If you have a rope tied to a 20lb weight and tried to spin it above your head, it would take awhile. But if it were attached to no weight, it would quickly spin, but also quickly slow down if you stopped applying pressure. On the highway is where you would benefit the most from the lighter flywheel, not around town.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that makes way more sense. Another myth is that people say when your going up a hill the car is slower than with a heavier flywheel. Is this true? I really doubt it. Also is it easier to burnout with a lighter flywheel? I don't think it would be, but people say you loose traction. Can someone put these myths to rest?

Old 05-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, that makes way more sense. Another myth is that people say when your going up a hill the car is slower than with a heavier flywheel. Is this true? I really doubt it. Also is it easier to burnout with a lighter flywheel? I don't think it would be, but people say you loose traction. Can someone put these myths to rest?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bump. Lets keep this at the top . I wanna cover and end all myths on lightweight flywheels.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bond)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, going up a hill will not change noticeably. Doing a burnout would really depend on engine type. My guess is, considering the lofty powerbands of Hondas, doing a burnout would be at least as easy as it would be with a heavier flywheel, if not easier.