Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Flat tow 98 civic?

Old 03-01-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tow 98 civic?

Hey all, I am trying to figure out if I can flat tow a 98 Civic DX manual. I'm moving from CA to AK, but all I can find is a service bulletin saying no more than 35 mph and/or 50 total miles at a time (that would take a little too long for my liking). I can use a dolly, but the price to rent one is the same as buying the flat tow hookup, and is 600lbs lighter, and weight is an issue (need to stay under 4000 lbs total weight - car, towing gear, stuff and driver/passenger).

Is it OK to flat tow it? Should I use the dolly instead? Any advice would be good, thanks!

-Marisha
Old 03-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flat tow 98 civic? (wolfheartak)

as long as the car is not lowered to much your best bet is dolly.you could destroy the transmission.which can cost more than the 75 -100 dollars to rent one from uhaul. make sure you put the front of the car on dolly.some people try to tow cars backwards and it will go all over if you go over 40mph.good luck
Old 03-01-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Flat tow 98 civic? (SCIVIC94)

It's totally stock. I've dollied it before, so I'm comfortable with that. I am trying to get all my options on the table, but I don't know much about flat towing a non-4wd vehicle.

Thanks!

-Marisha
Old 03-01-2005, 07:52 PM
New User

Default Re: Flat tow 98 civic? (wolfheartak)

how do u dolly it?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Flat tow 98 civic? (SCIVIC94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SCIVIC94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as long as the car is not lowered to much your best bet is dolly.you could destroy the transmission.which can cost more than the 75 -100 dollars to rent one from uhaul. make sure you put the front of the car on dolly.some people try to tow cars backwards and it will go all over if you go over 40mph.good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

towing the front is the only option you have with front whjeel drive anyway. unless you plan on removing axles. towing any vehicle with the drive wheels on the ground, can screw up the tranny.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flat tow 98 civic?

This is the owners manual page online saying it is possible only for short distances at low speed after proper preparations. Still strongly not recommended.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/CI9898/CI9898O00227A.pdf

Quote:

There are three popular types of professional towing equipment.
Flat-bed Equipment
- The operator loads your vehicle on the back of a truck. This is the best way to transport your Honda.
Wheel-Lift Equipment
- The tow truck uses two pivoting arms that go under the tires (front or rear) and lift them off the ground. The other two tires remain on the ground. This is an acceptable way to tow your Honda.
Sling-type Equipment
- The tow truck uses metal cables with hooks on the ends. These hooks go around parts of the frame or suspension and the cables lift that end of the vehicle off the ground. Your vehicle's suspension and body can be seriously damaged. This method of towing is unacceptable.

If your Honda cannot be transported by flat-bed, it should be towed by wheel-lift equipment with the front wheels off the ground.

If, due to damage, your vehicle must be towed with the front wheels on the ground, do the following.

5-speed Manual Transmission
  1. Release the parking brake.
  2. Shift the transmission to Neutral.
Automatic Transmission
  1. Release the parking brake.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. Shift to D4, then to N.
  4. Turn off the engine.
NOTICE
Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or
start the engine (automatic transmission), your vehicle must be transported with the front wheels off the ground.

With the front wheels on the ground, it is best to tow the vehicle no farther than 50 miles (80 km), and keep the speed below 35 mph (55 km/h).

If you decide to tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground, make sure you use a properly-designed and attached tow bar. Prepare the vehicle for towing as described above, and leave the ignition switch in Accessory (I) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power socket are turned off so they do not run down the battery.

NOTICE
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Leave the ignition switch in Accessory (I), and make sure the steering wheel turns freely before you begin towing.

NOTICE
Trying to lift or tow your vehicle by the bumpers will cause serious damage. The bumpers are not designed to support the vehicle's weight.