Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You shouldn't....if you have a SRS light on the dash, just pull the light bulb out. I went for a sound check, and the guy (the officials rookie sidekick) made a comment that the SRS light was on, but that it had a no air-bag steering wheel. The official said it didn't matter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you think this would apply to all ref stations? interesting...
Old 07-23-2004, 06:27 PM

i was reading this and i was like shittt.. i can put everything to us spec ike engine etc.. but the steeringwheel would be a prob.
cause i dont have the srs or the sensors or anything.
ps.. sory i didnt realize this was no questions.. feel free to delete my posts
Old 10-22-2004, 03:50 PM
jasperl33

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (degooser)

did they move the carpet and check out your ecu or they just hook up some wire to their computer and check if it is obd1 or obd2?
Old 10-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (jasperl33)

<FONT SIZE="20">you are all a bunch of ******* idiots who don't know how to use the PM feature. READING FUCKN OWNS YOU</FONT>
Old 11-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (slammed_93_hatch)

1. 3300 College drive, San Bruno CA 94066 at Skyline college

2.1989 CRX with 94 B18C1 GSR motor. Mods were Akimoto Intake, DC 4-2-1 header, Spoon HG, MSD box with external coil. All internals stock (for now)

3.The ref was very cool but business like, I failed first 2 times, had to fix cam timing as I somehow was off a tooth on both cams, fix IAB wiring, replace O2 sensor as 1st one was a used one and was probably lazy. 3rd visit I left with sticker on my door jamb!

Did not not need paperwork for ECU verification, visual check of ECU only

overall experienc was good, Bay Area Refs know there **** don't BS them

BAR'D 10/13/04

Modified by APEX CRX at 10:00 AM 11/12/2004
Old 12-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.) Southwestern College - Chula Vista (San Diego) California

2.) 1990 CRX DX with 1995 USDM B18C1. Mods included: USDM P73 ITR pistons (10.8:1 comp), Skunk2 Intake Manifold, Stock CRX intake box & stock 90 teg intake arm with vacuum bungs run together to close them off, 2.5" exhaust.

Also had a 1990 spec LS integra exhaust manifold. (Placed the o2 sensor up closer to the head instead of down by the cat. They were cool with this.)

3.) Very easy going but they knew their stuff. They didnt bust out any books, but I think that is because they deal with a LOT of modified hondas.

No paperwork required for ECU or engine, although I had a bill of sale. They pulled up the carpet and just glanced at the ECU. He knew it was a skunk2 manifold and didnt look twice at it.

All in all, they spent about 5 minutes looking under the hood, glanced under the car to make sure I had a cat, and they drove it up onto the rollers. The only thing they asked me was where I got my stainless braided line for my oil pressure gauge sender.

Failed the first time because of high HC's at 25mph. Got a new air filter, gapped plugs to .039", and took 3% fuel out of the low-rpm, partial-throttle maps w/ Uberdata. Went back my second time and passed with flying colors.

Don't BS them. Be honest. They want you to pass and will tell you what you need to do. I have a feeling they treat people better when they come in to get their car REF'd on their own account, as opposed to those coming in with a ticket from SDPD.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (Mr_CRX)

removed.

Modified by Wes V at 8:29 AM 12/13/2004
Old 12-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (Wes V)

1. Rio Hondo College in Whittier, CA

2. 89 Civic hatchback DX with 1992 B17A1. Converted to obd-1, CARB legal DC header, low mileage Carsound cat, greddy SP cat back, JDM EF9 air box and pipe.

3. Everything went super smooth. There were 2 guys there (one main guy, one assistant) and both were friendly and informative.

They did check my ECU code and did jump my "CEL connector" to see if the CEL would actually come on. I passed my first time. I recommend running through a full tank with GM fuel system cleaner/decarbonizer prior to test.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (fourthgenhatchB17)

sup guys, I was wondering if any one in San Diego still has one the phone numbers of the Ref Station that you guys went that was easy in SAN DIEGO. Its now the time that I have to take my car to Ref because later on I have to bring it to the HIGH WAY PARTROL POLICE. Reason 2nd vin.# sticker missing. thanks.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:38 AM

Do you have the main cross street of the woodland hills ref station? Thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 06:26 AM

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (dayaftertomorrow)

removed

Modified by Wes V at 8:29 AM 12/13/2004
Old 12-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><FONT SIZE="20">you are all a bunch of ******* idiots who don't know how to use the PM feature. READING FUCKN OWNS YOU read the first post i gave the 1800 number they do all the opointments</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-13-2004, 07:27 AM

removed

Modified by Wes V at 8:09 AM 12/14/2004
Old 12-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP for more chill places to go to. Keep them coming guys!!
Old 03-19-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (APEX CRX)

going to fullerton jc on tuesday to get my car BARed. wish me luck guys

i took a pre-test n these were my readings. wat do u guys think

95 jdm b18c all stock

15mph

hc----87
co%---.3
co2%--14.8
no ppm--742
o2%.2

25mph

hc---31
co%--.1
co2%--14.9
no ppm-- 88
o2%---0.0

what do u guys thinks about this reading??? u guys think my jdm gsr will pass the ref's??? its a 92 civic hb.

ill update when i come back from the ref

went to the ref today. bad news guys, the fu&*n ref didnt pass me cuz i didnt have the vaccum line on my throttle body connected. i have a jdm b18c
they dont have a nipple for the vaccum like usdm on the throttle.

i passed the visual n the smog test good new but he came up w/this bull!!!!

trying to get a usdm gsr throttle to go back, planning on going this friday.

oh by the way..... this guy at fullerton jc knows his **** so gots to go clean. heads up. ill update it when i go the second time....

oh does anybody know if an ITR throttle body fit a GSR minifold????

Modified by 92hatchy_7 at 6:04 AM 3/23/2005
Old 03-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (92hatchy_7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92hatchy_7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">going to fullerton jc on tuesday to get my car BARed. wish me luck guys

i took a pre-test n these were my readings. wat do u guys think

95 jdm b18c all stock

15mph

hc----87
co%---.3
co2%--14.8
no ppm--742
o2%.2

25mph

hc---31
co%--.1
co2%--14.9
no ppm-- 88
o2%---0.0

what do u guys thinks about this reading??? u guys think my jdm gsr will pass the ref's??? its a 92 civic hb.

ill update when i come back from the ref</TD></TR></TABLE>

Remove your thread

ok this was brought up in another thread and i thought it was a good idea, first off call 1800-622-7733 then come here and look for a review

RULES FOR POSTING YOUR REVIEW
1. post the location of the ref station (ie the addres, and county it is located)
2. post what year your car is and the motor setup and any mods to the motor if you had them
3. post your experince with the people working there, IE were they freindly, easy going strict, you get the idea

1. 3560 Business drive, suite 108 sacramento CA ( right off of power inn)
2. 1993 honda civic VX, with a 1994 acura integra ls motor. I had a comptech ice box for a 99civicSI and a SAFC hooked up but hidden, with a comptech exahaust and i passed
3. the people there were very nice, not ******** at all. very nice i failed the first time because i had CEL's stored in the ecu (NOTICE YOU MUST CLEAR YOUR ECU OF ALL CEL's EVEN IF THE LIGHT ISN'T ON ANYMORE). and he even gave me complements on my car. as stated above i had the comptech icebox from a 99 civic SI and they said NOTHING about it. overall i suggest any one in the area to go there. EDIT: i did not supple and was not asked for an ECU veravication print out.

EDIT: please don't post quesitons in here i would like this to stay a good FAQ use the PM feture to ask people questions if you have them, this also includes random posts

HOLLY **** READ THIS BEFOR YOU POST ALL OF YOU THAT POSTED USELESS **** ITS GOING TO BE DELETED. THIS IS MENT TO BE A REFERENCE THREAD NOT, I SAID NOT A DISCUSION THREAD THAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SCROLL THREW 30 PAGES OF BS TO GET ANY INFO
Old 03-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (sleeperciv)

1. Los Positas College State Ref, Livermore CA
2. 1990 CRX Si with a 1990 B18A *completely stock*
3. Extremely knowledgeable guys. They checked the numbers on my ECU, ,my block, my head, and also required the VIN numbers from the car that the engine came from. They were friendly.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (CRX_1.8T)

1. 5885 Haven Ave, Chaffey College, Rancho Cucamunga
2. 1993 Ex coupe with a 1995 B18c1 USDM *completely stock*
3. Heard rumors that most state ref's are dix, but these guys are easy going and didnt give me no hard time at all. Didnt check my ECU, or ask no questions on where I got the motor from or nothing. Started my dyno runs w/in 5 mins of my arrival. Their was 2 guys, 1 main guy and 1 assistant, both very cool people to deal with. Didnt give me no BS or nothing. Said I had a nice paint job and very clean engine bay. Even though I faild they told me to just repair the problem and they'll be more than happy to smog my car again.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (Mr_CRX)

I know this is an old thread but I experienced two ref stations not mentioned yet.

1st time around(FAIL)
1/Pierce comm. College:
2/92 civic hatch (CX) w/JDM b16a
3/ The guy was an absolute ***! He revved my engine into VTEC just pulling it in to get on the dyno. told me he hated these "rice rockets" (my car is zero rice!) Took the ECU completely out of the car to look at it. Told me it was a JDM ECU but would continue anyways(why...I don't know whay as it's an automatic fail) did the sniffer test and told his assistant (who was some what cool) to get this car out of here. He then told me to go to the desk. he told me it was a very clean install then handed me the paperwork and told me better luck next time, not even how/why I failed and what I could do to pass. Also told me he was being "nice" by not giving me a ticket for my exhaust!(N1 style)

2nd time around:
Oxnard Comm. College
same setup, with USDM P30, new cat, new o2 Sensor, new...quieter exhaust(looks/sounds like RSR exmag)
Guys were great. Very cool, let me see what they were doing/how they were doing it. The assistant has a bitchin MKIV supra TT. Barely passed, but I left with my sticker on the driverside front shock tower. Wierd thing was though that they left the comment line blank where most others have the engine code, oh well at least it has the #s.
to being legit, and suprising cops when they see that ****!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (broketuner-egb16a)

1. Victorville community college, Victorville Ca
2. 97 Civic DX w/97 b18b1 Stock everything and black hoses
3. These guys were cool. They had a binder full of info including pics of different motors and vaccum diagrams. They thought my factory manifold was a skunk2 mani. I had to explain it to them that it wasn't. They also looked at the engine serial number and at the ECU. They did the visual and the sniffer and put on the sticker in about an hour.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (dat_flip)

24th and Florin Road. Sacramento, CA.

1998 Civic Coupe Ex
2000 GSR
99-00 SI Harness but used conversion harness OBD2B to OBD2A
Boomslang OBD2B TO OBD2A harness
Bosch Universal 02 Sensor
Greddy SP Catback
ATS 4.9 final drive
Quiafe LSD
Fluidyne Radiator

First off, I know there are plenty of people who are reluctant to get BAR'ed with a OBD2B GSR into a civic. I failed the first time because my engine was a 2000 GSR with a 99 ecu.

Found out later that i couldn't use 2000 gsr ecu because of immobilizer. Called John Bapazar (sp?) who was regional manager of BAR association and told him about the situation. I told him the 99 and 00 ecu's were the same except the 00 had the immobilizer.

Then I went to the test center to speak with George (my referree). Awesome fella who was very polite and helpful. I told him if it was ok for me to run a conversion harness. He gave me the "OK" as long as i brought in a print out from the dealership of the obd2b ecu and obd2a ecu. One week later, I got retested by George and payed $8.25 for my sticker.

**Conversion harness is "OK!!"
Old 02-24-2006, 09:57 AM

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (SupaMien)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SupaMien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">24th and Florin Road. Sacramento, CA.

1998 Civic Coupe Ex
2000 GSR
99-00 SI Harness but used conversion harness OBD2B to OBD2A
Boomslang OBD2B TO OBD2A harness
Bosch Universal 02 Sensor
Greddy SP Catback
ATS 4.9 final drive
Quiafe LSD
Fluidyne Radiator

First off, I know there are plenty of people who are reluctant to get BAR'ed with a OBD2B GSR into a civic. I failed the first time because my engine was a 2000 GSR with a 99 ecu.

Found out later that i couldn't use 2000 gsr ecu because of immobilizer. Called John Bapazar (sp?) who was regional manager of BAR association and told him about the situation. I told him the 99 and 00 ecu's were the same except the 00 had the immobilizer.

Then I went to the test center to speak with George (my referree). Awesome fella who was very polite and helpful. I told him if it was ok for me to run a conversion harness. He gave me the "OK" as long as i brought in a print out from the dealership of the obd2b ecu and obd2a ecu. One week later, I got retested by George and payed $8.25 for my sticker.

**Conversion harness is "OK!!" </TD></TR></TABLE>

nice to know that conversion harnesses are ok!!! gave me some hope for my Ref Appt.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (Superdragr45)

1)Butte Comunity College Oroville, Ca Sept. 20, 2005

2)92 civic hatch w/ 92 jdm b16a, gsr exhaust manifold, del sol p30 intake box and pipe, 94 del sol p30 ecu, aftermarket cat, 2.5 exhaust. Car was previously ref'd with a gsr motor but the last owner took off the bar sticker, and replaced the motor with a single cam.

3)March 10, 2005/ the ref was cool, failed the first time because my car was a gross polluter and i failed the visual (vacuum routing, jdm b16 intake manifolds dont have little vacuum nipple on the back of the manifold) and wrong ecu (he was mixed upped because of all data, which stated that i needed a p28 when really it was a p30, which i had) and timing was slightly off by 2 degrees i believe. Payed $30, and the next visit was free.

4)I decided to take the car into a shop and see what was causing my car to fail, and i got 2 outcomes. It was either the 02 sensor or the cat causing me to fail. So I opted to change out my 02 sensor.

5)March 24, 2005/ next visit, i came with a printout from honda stating that the correct ecu was the p30 ecu and not the p28. Taped a vacuum nipple into the manifold and rerouted the vacuum lines and set timing to 16 degrees @ btdc. Changed out 02 sensors and still managed to fail. High HCs and C0.

6)March 30, 2005/ came back a week later trying different tricks in the book like, changing the oil, running lower octane, changing spark plugs and wires, and the infamous ISO Heet also known as GTP (guarantee to pass). All of that, and nothing, no noticeable change. Coughed up $30 and back to square one.

7)August 9, 2005/ Came back with more confidence because the last time I came i thought maybe my cat was just loose and wasnt warming up enough. Threw in some ISO Heet and ran the car for a good 2 hours before i came in. I still mangaged to fail, but the ref stopped everything half way through because we both could tell that i wasnt going to pass. He really wanted me to pass and he didnt want me to waste anymore money going back and forth to him, so he waived this session and allowed me to come back another time for free.

8)So I came to my senses and finally changed out the Cat because that was the only thing i didnt touch. went to a smog shop and had them run the car real quick to see of it would actually pass. And you know what, it did.

9)Sept. 20, 2005/ I finally passed smog! It took me 6 months when it could have only been a week if i wasnt so stupid and just changed out cats back when the shop had told me it was either the cat or the 02 sensor causing me to fail. Stupid me. O'well at least i got my Bar sticker

sorry for the long rant, its just my experience and i hope everyone can learn from it and not make the same mistakes as i did.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (AnDThEnWuT)

Anyone in california ever BAR'd LSVTEC?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

~

Last edited by JeffBro; 11-19-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW