Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAQ: Axle Replacement Tutorial With PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:20 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: FAQ: Axle Replacement Tutorial With PICS!

3 foot crow bar. Get it in there with a dead blow mallet. Pry it out.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks so much for this tutorial. I didn't manage to break the ball joint loose by banging on it, but It did pop off with a cheap ball joint tool from princess auto.

Good tip on filling up the tranny from up top.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Plan on changing right axle this weekend and this tutorial is excellent. TYVM

Only have one question. When refilling the tranny fluid why can't you just do it the usual way by adding it where the dip stick goes in ?

Thanks in advance,
MP.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Use dipstick hole for auto trans.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm no mechanic, learning.

Why are they using the speed sensor hole ?

I'm so confused lmao.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MP1975
Why are they using the speed sensor hole ?
Some members with manual transmissions use the VSS hole. I personally disagree with the choice because you don't know if the trans is filled with MTF to the proper level.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GOT IT !!! Difference being auto / man tranny.

Can't thank you enough.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I didn't drain mine, it bleed a little down the transaxle but nothing significant. I didn't even need to top up after I was done, just clean up the transaxle case. I also torqued my axle nuts to spec which this write up doesn't even mention, they say make it snug which I don't agree with.

I also don't beat on the lower control arm to pop the lower ball joints, nor do I use the pickle fork. I learned another way that doesn't damage anything and works like a champ.

You can find the trick here:

Clicking noise on turns, some what on straigts, HELP - Honda-Tech
I really like the idea of this trick, but I am unclear as to what/how the wrenches are seperating the ball joint from the LCA? Are you locking the wrenches on something in the subframe? And then when you lower the jack the coil over assembly is popping the LCA off the ball joint?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
I really like the idea of this trick, but I am unclear as to what/how the wrenches are seperating the ball joint from the LCA? Are you locking the wrenches on something in the subframe? And then when you lower the jack the coil over assembly is popping the LCA off the ball joint?

Thanks!
I now use a ball joint separator (not the pickle fork) but for that trick, when you jack up the control arm the gap between the knuckle and the LCA widens. You slide a couple of wrenches in between right next to the ball joint and when you lower the jack the strut spring pressed the assembly down. The space tries to shrink but the wrenches prevent it and ultimately pop the ball joint free as the pressure builds while lowering the arm/knuckle assembly.

This is what I use now:
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6297-Ball.../dp/B0015PN010

This video shows the trick I did before I got the separator. I just found you will bend metal so I stacked two wrenches together to have solid metal. A socket will bend as will the box end of a wrench. Notice how he is using the handle of his ratchet as it's solid metal to stick into the space while it's jacked up:

Old 08-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

I now use a ball joint separator (not the pickle fork) but for that trick, when you jack up the control arm the gap between the knuckle and the LCA widens. You slide a couple of wrenches in between right next to the ball joint and when you lower the jack the strut spring pressed the assembly down. The space tries to shrink but the wrenches prevent it and ultimately pop the ball joint free as the pressure builds while lowering the arm/knuckle assembly.

This is what I use now:

This video shows the trick I did before I got the separator. I just found you will bend metal so I stacked two wrenches together to have solid metal. A socket will bend as will the box end of a wrench. Notice how he is using the handle of his ratchet as it's solid metal to stick into the space while it's jacked up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ
Senor Tom Cat - that trick is $!!! Thank you...
Old 08-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tomcat - I bought the same type of tool at Harbor Freight. When I had to replace my upper ball joints, I used the tool, and even with a nut left on to try to protect the threads, the threads ended up getting a little messed up where I had problems trying to get the nut off. The race shop that I go to just uses a hammer to hit the side of the joint to get them to separate, and I know that some of the ball joints or tie rod ends are smaller, and separate easier. Anyway, do you use the above tool for all three joints (upper and lower ball joints plus steering tie rod end), and do you have any problems with the threads getting messed up? Thanks!! - Jim
Old 08-28-2016, 07:04 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid
Tomcat - I bought the same type of tool at Harbor Freight. When I had to replace my upper ball joints, I used the tool, and even with a nut left on to try to protect the threads, the threads ended up getting a little messed up where I had problems trying to get the nut off. The race shop that I go to just uses a hammer to hit the side of the joint to get them to separate, and I know that some of the ball joints or tie rod ends are smaller, and separate easier. Anyway, do you use the above tool for all three joints (upper and lower ball joints plus steering tie rod end), and do you have any problems with the threads getting messed up? Thanks!! - Jim
I just used it on all three as I had to replace the knuckles on my car a couple of weekends ago. Didn't have any issue on uppers, lowers or tie rods.

If I recall I used the smaller setting for the uppers and the tie rods as it keeps the lower jaw more level with the post. The large setting was only used on the lowers if I recall.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just used it on all three as I had to replace the knuckles on my car a couple of weekends ago. Didn't have any issue on uppers, lowers or tie rods.

If I recall I used the smaller setting for the uppers and the tie rods as it keeps the lower jaw more level with the post. The large setting was only used on the lowers if I recall.
Tomcat Thanks for the info...
- Jim
Old 11-15-2016, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

This is what I use now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ
I used this trick - and this thread over the weekend to pull my driveshafts - thank you!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Unreal that people are still using this to swap axles! I'm glad it's helped so many. The right axle in my wagon just started clicking, LOL!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ
Some members with manual transmissions use the VSS hole. I personally disagree with the choice because you don't know if the trans is filled with MTF to the proper level.
You can still take the fill plug out to check the level while you're filling through the VSS hole. I have a funnel permanently attached to a 3' piece of 1/2EMT I used to fill Honda transmissions. It's great, I just drop it down the VSS hole and it supports itself.

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
Unreal that people are still using this to swap axles! I'm glad it's helped so many.
No need to improve on perfection
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write up!
One thing is I couldn't get my ball joint loose, no matter how much I banged it. Any other way I can remove the axle without removing the lower ball joint? Thanks!

Whoops, sorry just saw the wrench in the ball joint space trick.

Last edited by graevz; 07-11-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Found info
Old 07-11-2017, 06:03 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Have always had to use a pickle fork to pop mine out. I just bought one for like $10.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Have always had to use a pickle fork to pop mine out. I just bought one for like $10.
I was told I could use that but it would rip my ball joint. My ball joint is only a couple months old. It'll work with out fking up my ball joint? If so, I'll try that too. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by graevz
I was told I could use that but it would rip my ball joint. My ball joint is only a couple months old. It'll work with out fking up my ball joint? If so, I'll try that too. Thanks!
Should not hurt the joint, no. But it might tear the dust boot. Get an extra set of boots for around $3 each and you'll be set.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:48 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh! Got the pictures working again...

Old 08-02-2021, 05:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe

Heh! Got the pictures working again...
LOfuckingL!!!

What a blast from the past! This was like a YT video help wise, beofre YT was a thing.

Speaking of axles...