Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Extremely low warm idle - Yes i've searched.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Extremely low warm idle - Yes i've searched.

First off, car is a 93 civic SI with a OBD1 B16A.

Ok, gonna give every detail so you guys dont just think im a idiot who hasnt looked into it before this post and such.

Started out car would idle ridiculous high when cold, and then idle normal 800 when warm. I checked the FITV and it was all the way loose, screwed it in and it was perfect. Idled perfect all around.

Few weeks later, starts idling fine when cold, but when warmed up it would idle at <500, almost setting on the needle stop on the cluster like, really damn low.

So I thought somehow me screwing the FITV all the way in would maybe have a effect on it. So i removed the FITV and ran the coolant line from the IM straight to the IACV, and used a alumnium plate with a gasket maker sheet between it to bolt up where the fitv was. Started the car up, idled normal cold, but still low when warmed up.

So i remove the IACV, and see a clogged screen. I say, sure thats got to be it. So i clean the **** out of it, dry it out thoroughly, hook it back up. Idles fine cold, but still really low when warm.

Keep in mind, i changed the TB gasket while i was at it, I pulled the idle screw and cleaned all gunk out from all passages on the TB and everything, so its nothing that needs to be cleaned at this point.

After all of the above was done, i warmed it up, removed plug from IACV, tryed to adjust idle by the screw, and I notice that when I adjust it, it will raise the idle slightly but then drop back down no matter how much I adjust it out. I havent adjusted it too far out, most i went was a little past flush with the throttle body itself.

So basically, after checking and cleaning and messing with everything possible and eliminating the FITV all together, I still have a 200-300 RPM warm idle and a idle adjustment screw that doesnt effect the base idle at all.

I read a thread on here that someone said "When your idle screw makes no effect then the IACV is bad but I cant remember where I read that" thats just a random opinion so i wasnt just gonna jump on that solution.

Oh and no check engine lights or nothing like that.

Any insight would be very appreciated.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Extremely low warm idle - Yes i've searched.

I know this is an old thread. Did you figure out out the problem
Old 06-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Extremely low warm idle - Yes i've searched.