Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Error code P1457 - HELP!! (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Extended emissions warranty for 1998 Civic?

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Not really.
I don't recall anywhere that there was only a set number of ways a car was allowed to breakdown.
Yea, but for Christs sake, electronics should be built with protected circuits, but I understand engineered obsolesce and making these as cheap as possible or I guess just a plain old design flaw... at the very least with all the articles on P1457 errors, you would think Honda would have addressed this...
Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Or, you know, an isolated incident. I've very rarely seen a Honda ECU go bad.

Btw, if you think that's bad dodge used to put the voltage regulator for the alternator in the ECU. When it died (and they did, we had it happen on a '91 Dakota) you had to replace the ECU, or wire in an external regulator (what we did, but it still left us with a CEL for the bad voltage regulator) It was otherwise a great truck though, one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever seen.

Sorry for the offtopic rambling.

Yea, I guess. Another member sent me some other diagnostics to look at, may give it a try...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ the OP
A good used ECU isn't that expensive if you DO have to get a new one, so don't fret too much
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?Model...p3286.c0.m1539

Heck, I got mine for my mini-me swap a while back for $20 + shipping and it's running just fine a year later
Just gotta shop around
^^
Old 02-18-2012, 03:35 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
Yea, but for Christs sake, electronics should be built with protected circuits, but I understand engineered obsolesce and making these as cheap as possible or I guess just a plain old design flaw... at the very least with all the articles on P1457 errors, you would think Honda would have addressed this...
Wow. Totally unrealistic. Electronics fail. Nothing can possibly be built to last forever. You honestly think Honda is supposed to warranty everything it manufactures for the rest of eternity?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Wow. Totally unrealistic. Electronics fail. Nothing can possibly be built to last forever. You honestly think Honda is supposed to warranty everything it manufactures for the rest of eternity?
Exactly. Although I do remember now when I worked at Honda the oldest tech there mentioned this code to me. It was common when those cars were fairly new and it took the ECU out every time. I'd kind of forgotten about that. Still at this point, it's your car problems and all.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I was wrong. The extended warranty appears to cover 95-97 Civics:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...N2MWeERIsFwtog

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...amerhonda.html

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...4-years-74562/

Last edited by Former User; 02-20-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the car is 12 years old. suck it up.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 97 hx was covered. The warranty is good for 14yr/150k miles on emissions and only on select models. The dealer replaced my primary o2 sensor, free tune up & oil change, cleaned egr ports, and replaced the ecu all under that warranty.

Which model do you have so we can try and help you fix it.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on diagnosing a P1457 EVAP system problem

Thanks Ron for your help. I replaced the old ECU with a virgin one. I looked at the insides of the old ECU and did not see any burnt traces, which does not mean a whole lot... Anyways, I installed the unit and no CEL.... but it did come on two days later, but now I have code P1456. Gas cap was tight, but I tightened it a little more. I know the tank was almost out of gas. Could the CEL have been thrown due to the issues I had with the P1457 code, and a low gas tank? Maybe a pressure issue that should resolve when I cycle a full tank? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

FYI - as related in this post all components/solenoids around the tank have been replaced with OEM parts...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP!!!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok, if anyone can chime in that would be great!! I am reading some posts that the CEl P1457 can actually short out the ECU. Is this true?
Yes. I remember when I worked at Honda one of the older techs mentioned that to me. Apparently it always takes out the ECU, he told me they replaced a ton of them under warranty when those cars were new. Sorry I know this is kind of past the point now, but I just thought I'd put it in here anyway.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about the P1456 CEL I got after installing the ECU? Thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default P1457 CEL light came back on

Or someone else... I had a long thread about the problem, and ended up getting a virgin ECU. I noticed that as soon as I installed the new ECU that the tank was empty and I got a P1456 CEL. I cleared that and now today, with the tank almost empty a CEL came back on. The CEL is P1457. Does that mean that the ECU I bought is burned????? I don't know where to go from here. I replaced all the solenoids and valves that are by the rear gas tank. The only items I have not replaced is the solenoid (not sure of name) by the fuel injector rail and the evap canister and valves. Does anyone know where to start with this????????????? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

1998 Honda Civic Ex w/vtec

other thread...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3023295
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: RonJ@HT - P1457 CEL light came back on

theres a tsb regarding this. if your a regular honda customer you could ask for a goodwill

as for the ecu--not knowing your story---it means you didnt fix the problem. The ecu is most likely fine. Then again...I have no idea of your post/backstory

1456/57 is for the vapor canister...
as far as I know theres 3 valves associated with it...how many did you change? are you in the rust belt? Usually people replace all 3 valves and the canister because they usually fall like dominos. Being in the northeast, this is much more common.

As for solenoids/valves...you might want to say what you did, for the people that dont know like me or anyone else reading this. That or just PM ron.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
theres a tsb regarding this.

1456/57 is for the vapor canister...
as far as I know theres 3 valves associated with it...how many did you change? are you in the rust belt? Usually people replace all 3 valves and the canister because they usually fall like dominos.
Thanks! I replaced these:

04101-P2P-A00 SENSOR ASSY., VENT PRESSURE
17351-S02-L00 TUBE A, FUEL VENT
17352-S02-L00 TUBE B, FUEL VENT
17371-S02-L01 VALVE (TWO-WAY)
17012-S84-A01 VALVE SET, SOLENOID (MADE IN JAPAN)

I do not live in a salt road state - live out west...

So, what else needs replacement? These parts ain't cheap...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you pump gas...when the pump stops, do you? or do you round it up?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you pump gas...when the pump stops, do you? or do you round it up?
For the longest time I would round up, until I was told not to do that anymore, which I don't AFTER having these problems. For years I would round up...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just read your post/backstory---makes alot more sense now. It would make sense that the ECU went out.

If you did all the troubleshooting tests and tested the solenoids/valves, and it pointed to the ECU, chances are you might have gotten a bad one. That or your going to have to recheck your work. Here in the rust belt, these solenoids go bad more frequently. In the honda TSB it states, more affected in snow areas, funny that your out west.

If the car has 86k like you said, Id call up various honda shops in the area, and explain the situation. Bitch a little to honda north america or district managers helps, being a good customer at the dealership though helps more. Buying parts at majestic honda and working on your car yourself...not so much-

From the last post, Id re do the service manual instructions to trouble shoot. I remember that using all autozone parts for solenoids/valves was about $300, so its cheaper to troubleshoot then it is to replace parts.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the longest time I would round up, until I was told not to do that anymore, which I don't AFTER having these problems. For years I would round up...
Rounding up takes out canisters. *its where that extra gas heads to when we round up*

I used to work for a dealer...I **** you not, at least 60% of the cars we worked on, all overfilled with gas. where I live, its mostly for us full serve, and they round up (for the sale)--not that the gas station attendants care.

No joke..we did so many canisters/solenoids/02 sensors/ecu's that we had 50 in stock at all times. Every single one would come up on the computer as canister malfunction at 0 mph. Or in other words...stupid broad rounding up the gas. We'd ask the customer, did you stop when the pump stopped or did you round up? Everyone stopped....or so they said. They also left 1500 bucks with us for new canisters etc.

One customer did it 3x in the course of a 2 month span. Guess he didnt believe us. 1x we did a goodwill on it...2nd and 3rd time he paid. The 3rd time he only agreed because his tags were up---no inspection with a CEL. Dumb old man, spent a fortune because he wanted that extra 75cents of fuel in there.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have not done any troubleshooting yet. I think something else is going on. This is freaking pissing me off!!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rounding up takes out canisters. *its where that extra gas heads to when we round up*

I used to work for a dealer...I **** you not, at least 60% of the cars we worked on, all overfilled with gas. where I live, its mostly for us full serve, and they round up (for the sale)--not that the gas station attendants care.

No joke..we did so many canisters/solenoids/02 sensors/ecu's that we had 50 in stock at all times. Every single one would come up on the computer as canister malfunction at 0 mph. Or in other words...stupid broad rounding up the gas. We'd ask the customer, did you stop when the pump stopped or did you round up? Everyone stopped....or so they said. They also left 1500 bucks with us for new canisters etc.

One customer did it 3x in the course of a 2 month span. Guess he didnt believe us. 1x we did a goodwill on it...2nd and 3rd time he paid. The 3rd time he only agreed because his tags were up---no inspection with a CEL. Dumb old man, spent a fortune because he wanted that extra 75cents of fuel in there.

Thanks. So what are you basically saying? Do I need to get another ECU? Or is this a canister issue alone or the solenoids?? Etc???? Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My scanner said that this failed at 45 miles per hour and evap system closed. Not sure if that means anything..
Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: P1457 CEL light came back on

Bump... really need some help... thanks.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

was this ever resolved? i have a 96 civic ex and its had the CEL light on ever since i bought it..pretty much a yr or so and its my DD and it goes away if i reset the ecu..but comes back in a week or so..and i make sure my gas cap is tight..anyways the code mine throws is P1457: Evaporative Emission (EVAP) control system leak detected (EVAP control canister system)...and now its nice out when i drive with my moonroof open i can smell gas under acceleration not sure if its due to the P1457 code or not...
Old 03-17-2012, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ no....I just read from the OP he changed the ECU and was still having a problem. I mentioned that I used to work at a dealership and we would change charcoal canisters like we'd do oil changes.

If you click on OP's name--- you can search all posts by him. Check it out.

Quick Reply: Error code P1457 - HELP!! (solved)