Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what to do with d16y8

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do with d16y8

hey guys i got a next to brand new d16y8 with only 40k miles on it. its in a 1999 honda civic ex.. so i jus want it to be a nice looking daily driver.. what basic bolt ons could i do to up the hp a little ? and i would like to get a nice suspension and rims setup thanks guys.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to do with d16y8 (blade0314)

Don't waste money on bolt-ons. If you want performance, you can do three things: Boost, Nitrous, or motor swap.

I would go with Ground Control Coilovers on Koni Yellow Struts/shocks && as for wheels I'd go with a 16 inch wheel on 205 or 215/45/R16 size tires, either BF Goodrich or Falken Ziex.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to do with d16y8 (ke98248)

im not looking to be spending that kind of serious money im a poor college student so i dont got that kind of money. i just want the basic bolt ons and suspension upgrades
Old 04-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For basic-bolt on price -- you can buy a used nitrous kit that will give you far more HP than I/H/E. I've done bolt-ons to my car and it's a waste of money. D-series motors just don't respond well to bolt-ons. However, the K and H series do respond quite well. I'm also a broke college student and I saved up for a pieced together $3,000 turbo kit and it's WELL WORTH IT.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless you are going to completely build the engine don't waste your money on performance parts, the gains are not worth the cost.

As far as looks, it's really subjective, most on this forum like the stock/JDM look.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1181688

Most will say Ground Control and Koni setup is the best bang for your buck when it comes to lowering your car. Rota rims are nice and reasonable; most people will flame you for getting them but I would recommend saving the cash for more important things other than rims.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to do with d16y8 (mechanix619)

im realli not that interested in spending that much cash guys .. i was realli thinking of putting a good header and exhaust on it.. any1 kno of a realli good brand? and also what a bout a good suspension upgrade and rims?

if any1 else knos of any other bolt ons that are easy let me kno thanks guys
Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blade0314 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im realli not that interested in spending that much cash guys .. i was realli thinking of putting a good header and exhaust on it.. any1 kno of a realli good brand? and also what a bout a good suspension upgrade and rims?

if any1 else knos of any other bolt ons that are easy let me kno thanks guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure I covered all this for you in my previous post. If you don't want to spend a lot of money then don't waste your hard earned cash on headers and an exhaust system. Like said before, D series engines do not respond very well to bolt on parts. You can go to almost any muffler shop and have them build you a mandrel bent cat back exhaust; don't go larger than 2.25inch in diameter. You can even use your stock muffler. Most people would agree that GC and Koni is your best bet for a suspension upgrade; I would recommend getting the GC upper mounts as well.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blade0314 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im realli not that interested in spending that much cash guys .. i was realli thinking of putting a good header and exhaust on it.. any1 kno of a realli good brand? and also what a bout a good suspension upgrade and rims?

if any1 else knos of any other bolt ons that are easy let me kno thanks guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

What mechanix619 is trying to tell you is that there is no "good" header and exhaust that will give you more hp. If you are already willing to spend money on a header and exhaust, put that cash towards a nitrous kit with your stock header, intake, and exhaust setup. That will give you more hp as opposed to any type of bolt-ons or combination thereof.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Default Re: what to do with d16y8 (B18CivicEJ8)

You have already been told the best suspension setup to use,Koni Yellows and Ground Control coilovers are very popular on here and perform well.Get yourself a nice set of 16 inch rims and tires and your set for exterior.

As said before, Rota rims are pretty light and quite a few people use them although they are knockoffs they dont look that bad.

As for boltons,thats been covered too..dont waste your money on I/H/E on a D-series,it just isnt worth it,if anything you'll probably get less power with them than without.The only time it would be worth putting boltons on a D would be if your already turbo, and even then it doesnt do that much.

Your best answer??save the money and go to school,research and learn about your car so when you do have the money you'll know what is worth doing without asking a question thats already been asked a million times
Old 04-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you keep insisting on wasting money on headers and exhaust. Why? Do you REALLY just need the sound that bad? Because its not gonna be performance. Put it this way, whatever hundreds amount of dollars you invest in bolt ons won't even give u + 10 whp. So insisting upon these silly mods would be solely because of. . . I guess sounding fast will being slow? I would suggest putting your money into making her entirely fully functional. maintenance, suspension is nice, rims, window tint? I don't know, just don't ruin a beautiful stock car with noisy garbage.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to do with d16y8 (mechanix619)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mechanix619 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rota rims are nice and reasonable; most people will flame you for getting them but I would recommend saving the cash for more important things other than rims.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rota makes some good quality rims at a low price. So they got really popular and then the trend swung back the other way. Good thing I couldn't care less what the Honda crowd thinks of my car. A car is just a car. It doesn't compensate for your insecurities.

This guy just wants to have "cool" parts and a loud car with rims. Get yourself some glow face gauges and some ebay JDM stickers.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM

If your looking for a little bit of an upgrade just do a 5zigen or skunk 2 exhaust system, it will still sound good and flow a little better, stock exhaust mani. upgrade to a high flow cat and she will respond a little better. but probably the best upgrade you could do would be a fidanza 7.5lbs flywheel its a night and day difference from stock. that should be enough to have a little fun with but like every one else said your not going to get a high performance honda out of a D series with out a good amount of cash to drop on a build or turbo.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to do with d16y8 (baller status)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baller status &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Rota makes some good quality rims at a low price. So they got really popular and then the trend swung back the other way. Good thing I couldn't care less what the Honda crowd thinks of my car. A car is just a car. It doesn't compensate for your insecurities.

This guy just wants to have "cool" parts and a loud car with rims. Get yourself some glow face gauges and some ebay JDM stickers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rota Grid $
Volk TE37 $$$$$

Volk's are nice but not worth the price. Some little crack ***** punk is just going to steal them anyway.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to do with d16y8

Go Ebay man for E/I/H. These guys are right about the d series motors, they aint much but if you want a sexy little sound and maybe that little extra pull (Im a college strudent too and i feel the same way), the price of Ebay stuff is worth it. The suspension though, I'd go with a good brand because that's money well spent right there, no matter what car you have. With good suspension, the little power that the d series motor makes will at least go straight to the wheels, and give you a more solid ride
Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah, $200 bucks on ebay with get you a complete exaust system including 4-2-1 headers, high flow cat and the rest of the cat back with a shiney new muffler
Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spend the money on brakes and suspension. forget the exhaust and header and such. it's not going to benefit you enough with a D series. And it's just not cost effective to build a D series. They just....don't perform.

These cars are getting old and the stock suspension bushings are rotting away. Freshening all of that up will get you a lot more pleasant of a ride than the little bit of power i/h/e will give you.

Just trust me, going from stock suspension to some koni shocks, eibach springs, a thick rear sway bar, it makes it feel like a gokart.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Old and dead thread.