Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK driver window hard to crank up/down

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK driver window hard to crank up/down

the driver side window in my 99 hatch is very hard to roll up and down and sometimes even comes off track and doesn't line up correctly. any ideas how to fix this? thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (Danethomp)

mine's the same way
I searched and a lot of people said spray silicon lube...did that, worked awesome for 2 weeks, but the problem came back
Old 01-22-2006, 09:53 PM
RTI

Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (Leb_CRX)

I have the same problem. I think the only solution is to buy a new window regulator.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (RTI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the same problem. I think the only solution is to buy a new window regulator.</TD></TR></TABLE>

May help a little, but not much. My pass. side regulator went, and even after I replaced it, I still had the same problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Leb_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine's the same way. I searched and a lot of people said spray silicon lube...did that, worked awesome for 2 weeks, but the problem came back. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have heard this as well, but I've never tried it.

-Shane
Old 01-22-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (nighttrain33)

Sometimes its the rubber molding that guides the window. Changed it in my EK when I had one and it took care of the problem.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (sirshan)

oh wow lots of people have this problem? mine do it too but only like half the time. other half they role up nice and easy
Old 01-22-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (PurpleEKHatch)

Yup...the rubber molding Im talking about lines your entire door/window. Its from inside the panel all the way to the top of the window.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had power windows but same problem window was going up slow. so i sprayed some rain x on the sides of the windows where it rubs on. the rain x has a lubrication in it and that fixed the problem up and down real easy. anything that will lube it up will work though
Old 01-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a problem with my window regulator until it gave out when the crank part just free spinned without the window moving. Prior to it finally breaking, I had a hard time rolling the window down. I replaced the window regulator and it fixed the problem.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (BlueIntegraBoy)

I had the same problem with my 98 hatch, I replaced the window regulator and the run channel and it works like a dream now. If you go through a dealer you'll get ripped for 300 bones. i got the regulator from a junked ride at the yard. and i ordered the run channel from the dealership for like 110 or so i cant remeber its been a while since i did it.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (ctrld-kaos)

mine has the same problem. i went over a speed bump and the widow fell of track and ever since it wont roll up right. it creases the window channel halfway up. i think im just gonna do a power window conversion, do you think this will solve the problem?
Old 01-23-2006, 02:42 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (97spooncivic)

I used to have the same problem. The thing with manual Honda window regulators is they are flimsy. You bend them a little once, and you will have trouble getting the window up and down. Check the rubber track molding first and see if its ok. If it isn't replace that at the same time that you replace the regluator.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (JDM_Ej)

i had that problem to, still do and i got it fixed from honda after i tried myself but came back again and honda charged me over 400 canadian (bloody expensive...don't recommend that at all!). I noticed that in the summer my windows work fine but during winter, it comes back again and now i can't even roll down my passanger window 5 inches down. Guess the tracks are expanding and contracting who knows.... so i guess it has to do something with the climate as well but dont' take my word for it, just my personal experience.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (Top-Fuel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Top-Fuel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had that problem to, still do and i got it fixed from honda after i tried myself but came back again and honda charged me over 400 canadian (bloody expensive...don't recommend that at all!). I noticed that in the summer my windows work fine but during winter, it comes back again and now i can't even roll down my passanger window 5 inches down. Guess the tracks are expanding and contracting who knows.... so i guess it has to do something with the climate as well but dont' take my word for it, just my personal experience.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im having the same problem. since its been cold theres been no hope of rolling the window down although in the summer time it is hit and miss as to whether or not it will go up/down. i really dont wanna spend big money to fix this
Old 01-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My 98 Hatch does exactly the same thing. What a pain in the ***!

Take off the door panel, make sure the bolts for the glass guide(not sure of actual name) are tight, but you also might want to loosen them and bring the guide in a little closer to prevent the window from coming off the track. I did that last time it came off and it hasn't come off since.

As for the hard to crank, yeah. that sucks. I put some silicone spray down the tracks and it freed it up for a while, however started again. I guess other than replacing **** the cheapest fix is to get a can of silicone spray and spray it down the tracks when it starts to get hard to crank. Sorry for the rambling and i hope my info is useful. Good luck
Old 01-23-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Re: (ek gripper)

very useful, but will a power window conversion get rid of this problem?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To try and answer your question, i'm thinking it depends on what you change out when you do the conversion. if you use the same tracks then the problem will most likely continue. The track problem is easily eliminated... its the cranking problem i cant get past.

but im not exactly sure what causes the problems, and whether putting in power windows would change anything. I think that the cranking problem is the rubber in the guides for the glass, because when i send silicone down the tracks the problem goes away. I also notice that when i try to roll the window and it gets difficult, i have to go the other way for a second so it doesnt totally get stuck.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 PM

Default Re: (ek gripper)

i let my channel guides for my widow sit in the hot sun in cali when it was in proper position. it went back to the proper shape. but then i rolled my widow down and up and it creased the channel and riped it in the center. i need to do what you said and fix that.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

know what i just thought of? what im starting to think might happen is that the rubber liner in the glass guide, upon rolling the window up, starts to (cant think of the right word) i guess bunch up, and thats why if you roll it down just a bit and continue to roll up it works. maybe gluing that liner to the metal rail could keep it in place, and just some silicone spray would keep it in place. i have to take a look at whats actually going on in there, that was just a spur of the moment idea. but if you ripped that, you'll definatly need to replace it cause its just gonna be even more of a hassle.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:56 PM

i rolled my window down for the first time all winter the other day and i guess it came off track because i couldn't roll it up. it went half way up then stopped. i removed the door panel and attempted to fix the problem. i got the window to go up all the way but it will not roll down now. god what a pain in the ***!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:01 PM

when your winding your window up look at the weather stripping by the side mirrors, if its off the track you will see it. i had the same problem and the window stopped. Took the door pannels appart took the window of the sliders and put it back on once i got the window back onto the track.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Cliche_EK)

having the same issue. door panel is off and i cant get the window on the rear track. its really pissing me off.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pearl)

this is a bigger problem that i thought, i also have the same problem, does anyone know how to take the window off, i have to get in there and fix this crap, im beginning to loose my patience!!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: (spooner)

here's a little pic of how the window works

I my window came off the track so i had to fix it. What happened was that the little black roller wheel had broke in two and the window regulator's arm had fallen off. After so many years things break and need to be replaced. The arm just pops into the roller wheel. Ther eare only 6 bolts that hold the regulator in place. There are also 2 bolts that secure the window to the longer guide channel.

If you window wont roll up/down or gets really crooked, your regulator arm prob fell off the guide channel. Pull off the door panel and try and take a peek. Honda put holes in the metal door face at key locations so you can take the window bolts out/put in with ease. You will have to remove your whole regulator if the roller wheels broke for new replacements. Hope these pictures i help.

*** My MS Paint skillz owns joo! ***
Old 02-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EK driver window hard to crank up/down (sirshan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sirshan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sometimes its the rubber molding that guides the window. Changed it in my EK when I had one and it took care of the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that becomes loose and makes the window go off track. You just need someone to hold that piece in tact while holding the window as well and then tighten up the bolts. One is at the bottem near where the speaker would go, and the other one is right behind the mirror cover.

I did this and now my window goes up and down smoothly!

Quick Reply: EK driver window hard to crank up/down