Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG TURBO overheating NEED HELP

Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG TURBO overheating NEED HELP

Hello everybody,,,Well let me start with this,D16Z6,,,10K on new motor and lsd trans,,t25greddy turbo,,6psi,,chipped and socketed P28 ECU running on A BASE TUNE,,,my car was leaking oil and getting hot but I never let the temp gauge go over 3/4,,,,well I found out one of the problems was a leaking head gasket got that done,,,,, not only the head gasket but the full set including all 16 Valve Stem Seals,grommets,cam seal,Thermostat,exe,,,,,I also had the head flushed for any leaks,,,,I did the proper valve lash and slammed the head back on,,,got everything set up right at the TDC,,,,drained the old coolant,,add new one + bleed,,,,,also changed the thermostat when I did all the seals and gaskets,,did a compression test,,and now for the real problem,,,car runs fine at first but,,when I hit over 2500rmp or go into low boost 6psi it starts to overheat,,,,IS THAT BECAUSE THE CAR ONLY is only running a base tune,,,,,,,but I dont think so,,,,,,the radiator seems to work but,,,should I get another one out of my friends car see if that could be the problem,,checked all the hoses for any leaks,,,and nothing,,,,I AM LOST,,,,,

ANY SUGGESTIONS
Attached Images   
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EG TURBO overheating NEED HELP

Fan working?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^what he said... And does your car smoke alot?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you use stock head bolts? Might be getting head lift since you said it only does it when you start hitting boost...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes I did use stock head bolts,,,but really on 6psi,,,,,are the bolts that weak???? would I have to re thread the holes,,,because I don't want to take off the head again,,,,,
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes fan works fine,,,I have a heat wrap around the pipe,,,,,can move the radiator about 1/2 inch the the right but,,,doubt that will do much
Old 06-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I also have the same problem and mine's a lot worse considering I run from 18psi-23 psi of boost (depending on how I feel that day). But I've been told a better radiator, with a a good fan shroud, and a racing thermostat( i saw one that opens at 66 degree's). I'm in the process of getting all those and I'll let you know how it goes, and I feel your pain going into boost is addicting especially when a fart can civic past you, and u boost past em. But the over heating takes all the fun out of it. The most I can suggest for the time being is roll down all ur window's and kick up the heat to full blast, intill u get some of the stuff above. You can get all of those from Mishimoto ($250 for the rad, $185 for the fan shroud, and $60 for the race thermo)
Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks a lot for the respond,,,,let me know how it works out for you,,,,so u think its not the bolts like the other guy said above???? I have mine actually torqued to 60lb and not 53lb like in the manual,,,because i knew boost will kick in,,,,
Old 06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive seen this problem before and it was cause the radiator was 2 small. Try running an integra radiator. I would trade u my full koyo but ur 2 far.

Nice setup BTW. Boost is so hella addicting.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try flushing the radiator thats waht i did??
Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your running a very similar radiator to mine and im running a bit more boost and no problems with overheating... are you loosing coolant? check the radiator for leaks and then pressure check the coolant system
Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What type of thermostat did you buy? And 6 psi shouldnt be enough to get head lift, especially since u torqued them down more than usual. Trying getting a bigger fan or a fan shroud, aim the fan shroud so it'll blow the hot air away out of the engine. So one fan is blowing cold air in and is blowing hot air out. You already have the heat wrap, check for coolant leak's. And idk but I had my car tuned to have Overheat protection, so once my get's 3/4 of the way up my engine start's to fuel cut to prevent any damage to my motor. If u cant figure out the problem soon try getting overheat protection because its hard to drive and have fun and keep an eye on that heat. What helps mine is that i have a huge intercooler in the front. Take ur car on the highway and boost around a lot. Tell me if it over heat's then. It shouldnt on the highway since u have a front mount, i can fully boost around on highway's no problem. In the city and town is when i have a problem.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I think the stock headbolts are designed to stretch, and this would be your issue. Since you reused stock bolts there is no reason they are not stretched as is, and no reason they won't stretch again under boost.

I'd get the head off(again) and get it milled and put some arp head studs on it.

Nate
Old 06-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a basic Stant or OEM thermostat,,,I dont even know,,,I think $7 is what I payed,,,ok I will let you know,,,
Old 06-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no I am not loosing any coolant,,,not one leak from the car,,,,also is your downpipe right next to the fan like mine is????
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A big *** radiator will really help on a boosted car. It didn't come from the factory w/ the turbo on it. I ran a big *** radiator in my boosted b18 and had no overheating problems.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ what he said a stock thermo, and a OEM rad arn't going to help any. You need a thicker radiator with a bigger fan, and a thermostat that open's allowing coolant to flow at lower temp's so compenstate for the amount of heat the turbo is creating when your boosting around. I havn't gotten time or the money to order my bigger rad, and new thermo, and my new fan shroud, but i garantuee it will lower your temps by a lot. A thicker radiator will help a lot along with a big *** fan with good CFM. Oh and I tried to leave some room between the downpipe and the radiator, but unlike ur's everything is covered in heat wrap mine isnt lol
Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NO the thermostat is cheap but radiator is not that bad,,,,,its a HONDA CIVIC 60MM RACING RADIATOR,,lighter than the stock one and a little bigger in size but not much,,,but way smaller than that big *** KOYO or Mishimoto,,,,,,,,
Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm experiencing a similar overheating problem on my boosted b16 and just got done ordering a Mishimoto performance thermostat and fan switch from inlinefour.com for about $104 3-day shipping UPS. I'm installing those before I throw down on new Radiator. I'll be sure to post up results in this thread when I'm done to see if I can help any.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have stock fan, stock thermostat, stock switches and an ebay dual core, half, full aluminum radiator running a Mitsu 16G turbo and I've never had a problem with temp... Also, I had head lift on 7psi from a 14b when I changed my headgasket the first time. I even used brand new bolts. Just saying...
Old 06-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran a stock rad and thermostat before i built my motor and never had a problem on 8psi.

I've also seen boosted single cams with stock head bolts on 10.5psi out of a 14b with no head lift and have a buddy who ran 15psi out of a 17c turbo on a b18b, but for the price of arp studs, it's definetely worth it

Also are you sure you don't have an air pocket in the cooling system? Try running a jumper wire in the fan switch plug which will allow the fan to run constantly as long as the key is on.........this is what i do for the summer months, i also run a 170 degree superstat plus i run an oil cooler also
Old 06-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: EG TURBO overheating NEED HELP

stock radiator stock thermostate never had over heating problems maybe check your head one more time it might be a hair line crack and did u get it decked for a flat surface befor u put it togather
Old 06-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am running a jumper wire in my fan switch,,It never shuts off lol,,,,but I think I know where I ****ed up,,,see cause I got the Fel Pro triple layer gasket,,,well this gasket goes right on with no gasket seals or **** like that,,,,notice im my 3rd picture the old head gasket **** is still on my block,,,,and its not suppose to be there,,I forgot to clean in and I put the new gasket on it,,,,,****kkkk,,,,,,dude would that fix the problem,,,should I take the head off again and clean that **** off,,,
Old 06-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes I did,,not a single crack on the head,,,,,
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PROBLEM SOLVED,,,,I am running 80%water to 20%coolant and its fine now,,,,have to remember in the winter to go back to 50/50,,,,,