Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG with a SERPENTINE BELT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG with a SERPENTINE BELT? - High pitched whine.

Hey guys,

I'll be looking at a 93 Civic Hatch tonight. The guy said it has a high pitched whine coming from the serpentine belt at some times. Said the guy that replaced it before him probably didn't tighten it down correctly. I asked if he meant alternator belt or timing belt, and he confirmed that he said serpentine/accessory belt, and meant it. He said it is the belt that runs the alternator AND a/c compressor. I'm confused by this because I owned a 94 hatch at one time, and I thought I remembered each accessory had it's own belt. One belt for alternator, one for compressor, one for power steering if it has it, and a timing belt. My thoughts are that they have a big belt on there running the compressor and alternator and that's why there's a whine. I'm I crazy in thinking this? Would this cause any damage to either component? I'll be checking it out tonight to know for sure, but it's a decent deal and if I can just swap out for two belts, I'd be a happy camper.

Thoughts?>
Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG with a SERPENTINE BELT? - High pitched whine. (Its me DUB)

the seller is confused. just push on the accessory belts to see if they are too tight. if they are OK, then the noise is prob from the timing belt = replace asap!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG with a SERPENTINE BELT? - High pitched whine. (teal_dx)

yea it doesnt have a serpentine belt but does have multi groove belts for the accesories.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EG with a SERPENTINE BELT? - High pitched whine. (teal_dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teal_dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the seller is confused. just push on the accessory belts to see if they are too tight. if they are OK, then the noise is prob from the timing belt = replace asap!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean alternator belt? and if they are loose not tight.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Its me DUB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys,

I'll be looking at a 93 Civic Hatch tonight. The guy said it has a high pitched whine coming from the serpentine belt at some times. Said the guy that replaced it before him probably didn't tighten it down correctly. I asked if he meant alternator belt or timing belt, and he confirmed that he said serpentine/accessory belt, and meant it. He said it is the belt that runs the alternator AND a/c compressor. I'm confused by this because I owned a 94 hatch at one time, and I thought I remembered each accessory had it's own belt. One belt for alternator, one for compressor, one for power steering if it has it, and a timing belt. My thoughts are that they have a big belt on there running the compressor and alternator and that's why there's a whine. I'm I crazy in thinking this? Would this cause any damage to either component? I'll be checking it out tonight to know for sure, but it's a decent deal and if I can just swap out for two belts, I'd be a happy camper.

Thoughts?&gt;</TD></TR></TABLE>

civics don't have serpentine belts. if the belt is too loose, then it needs adjusting or replacing.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG with a SERPENTINE BELT? - High pitched whine. (philosofy1)

He must own an American car lmao
Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG with a SERPENTINE BELT? - High pitched whine. (Its me DUB)

Cool, thanks for the confirmation guys. I'll check it out tonight...and make sure it's not an American pos.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG with a SERPENTINE BELT? - High pitched whine. (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

civics don't have serpentine belts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is half flase and half correct. Civic's do not have traditional, one belt that drives multiple peripheral devices like most muscle cars, serpentine belts but each belt is still referred to as a serpentine belt. A lot of times people just refer to them as "alternator belt," "power steering belt," or "A/C belt." By definition, the word serpentine means to follow a winding course; the belts follow a course designated by the pulleys.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Lots of people call any belt like that a serpentine belt. I work in auto parts and hear it all the time.

"I need serpentine belts."

"Okay sir, which one do you need? (Lists them off.)"
Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

That's what I figured...he was calling x belt a serpentine belt. He stated in fact that this 'serpentine/accessory belt' is operating the alternator AND the a/c compressor. The questions really wasn't about what word to use for what. I just didn't think the alternator and the compressor used the same belt. I guess I'm trying to find out if this jerry-rigged or if it's actually right that there's one belt that operates both.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

No, that shouldn't be operating both. Looking at my Y8, I can't even see how they could. It's really tight. While the two belts are close together and it looks sort of confusing (especially with power steering too), I can't see how he could put on only one belt.

So he probably thinks it's one belt, but it's not.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

Cool...thanks for checking it out for me. That's what I hope the case is, and that the belt just needs tightened. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, but who knows. I'll find out for sure tonight...