Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Hatch Broken Door Handle...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EG Hatch Broken Door Handle...

Originally Posted by BryanM.
Not too clear on exactly how you are trying to remove these, and it's been years for me, so here it goes...

Remove both of the 10mm bolts holding the door handle. Now you can pull it out away from the door, and reach the back of the plastic "bush" holding the rod. Pinch this side with needle nose and pull the rod out.

IIRC now you can turn/twist the handle and pop the other rod out of it's holder.

If you really want to keep this car for years, consider replacing those old brittle plastic holders. They are very cheap from Majestic.
Also, I have ordered small parts like this from my local dealership before, asked them to mail them to me and they have done so with NO CHARGE on a few occasions. This saved me money on shipping from Majestic.

This was years ago but it is worth asking. Majestic can nail you on shipping.
Thanks, Bryan!

Although it has been years for you, it is making sense to me already. I had no idea that squeezing the back of the rod that goes into the bushing, with a needle nose pliers, would allow me to pull it out. I had tried taking off the two 10mm bolts previously but it did not give me any more leverage, because I still trying to pry the rod out of the bushing to no avail. This way, I should now be able to take the cylinder lock rod pretty easily by just rotating the handle. I will try it tonight!

Regarinding majestic, you are absolutely right. I have done the same thing and local dealers can often be nice for a change!

By the way, I am planning on keeping the car long but I going to try out one of those cheap aftermarket handles (~$8 on ebay) which come with new bushings (not OEM of course). The reason is because the new OEM handles are discontinued (see the link you below at Majestic), and a used OEM one will cost me $30 with the risk of the center pivot bushing breaking in less than a year (used parts are about 25 years old now).
Old 03-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: EG Hatch Broken Door Handle...

What I have ALWAYS done is unbolt the latch from the door, this allows a lot of slack to pull the outer door handle completely away from the door. Then I just twirl the door handle off the threaded rod. No pinching of the bushing which ALWAYS gets mangled to bits.