Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ECU Throwing Code 41, Car Dies at Low RPM When Driving, HELP! (98 Civic)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Throwing Code 41, Car Dies at Low RPM When Driving, HELP! (98 Civic)

PLEASE HELP! I've tried searching, but to no avail...

I drive a 1998 Civic DX Hatch, manual. My buddy helped my hack my ECU and we found it was throwing a code 41, which is a Primary Oxygen Sensor Heater malfunction.

Some background:
I have been driving this car for less than a year and it has been running great. The other day my CEL came on and my car died when I came to a stop on the road. It doesn't die every time, more like 20% of the time I come to a stop now.

Question #1 - Does a primary oxygen sensor malfunction normally cause the car to idle low when stopped and cause it to die?
Question #2 - Is the root of my problem something else, like a vacuum leak or maybe a fried ECU perhaps? Can moisture under the hood cause this (there's been alot of rain)?
Question #3 - If I do replace my O2 sensor, I've read I should avoid aftermarket and go straight for OEM. What brands are suggested/need to be avoided?

Thanks again for all your help, I LOVE HONDA-TECH!

Modified by TC21 at 7:17 AM 7/23/2007
Old 07-23-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: ECU Throwing Code 41, Car Dies at Low RPM When Driving, HELP! (TC21)

Please help me guys!!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ECU Throwing Code 41, Car Dies at Low RPM When Driving, HELP! (TC21)

PM Frank_2.0L - he sells Denso (good company for O2 sensors) O2 sensors for 62 shipped for one that plugs into the harness, or 31 shipped for the universal (you have to crimp/solder it to the harness and chop off the plug).

I say get the plug, but you can save ~60 bux by going universal.

He has catalytic converter O2's (secondary) and header O2's (primary).

https://honda-tech.com/zerouser...47058

I just had the same exact code and at a different point I threw a 45.

It was the O2 sensor - I replaced both - no problem after ~1000 miles at least.

#1: It doesn't NORMALLY, but I HAVE seen it happen.
#2: No, a vacuum leak is annoying and will give you a high idle, but it won't make you throw an O2 sensor heater code.
#3: Replace it - take it from there.

EDIT:
Actually, pull fuse 15 and make sure it's not blown. If it's not blown - get a new primary O2 - I was shopping around for awhile for an O2 for my '97 EX - Frank_2.0L has the best deal at 62 shipped for a plug in one.

Fuse 15 on the underdash fusebox:
Second Row Down
Fifth Column From the Left - 7.5a fuse.

Don't forget to count the "spare fuse" as #1 - it's the one that says "alternator sp fuse"

If that's not blown - new O2 sensor. Your speedometer won't work if it's blown, but better safe than sorry.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:19 AM
ru7

My car didnt start and put code 41 also. It was the fuse (blown).
Old 07-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ru7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ru7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car didnt start and put code 41 also. It was the fuse (blown). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, okay. Blah.

Okay, your battery is probably dead.

Reason being:
That fuse controls:
- Primary O2 sensor heater
- Secondary O2 sensor heater
- Evap Purge System
- Vehicle Speed Sensor
- Alternator Switch

So if there's a short in that fuse it'll stop all those things - BUT - it would throw a code: 20 - ELD (electronic load detector) - and according to you it's not - which is VERY weird to have an electrical surge and the ELD not read it.

Replace the fuse and jump it. Don't jump it with a booster pack, jump it with a running vehicle, then leave it on there for like ~5 or 10 minutes. Remove the jumper cables and let it idle for a bit and rev it a bit - keep the RPM up a bit.

If the alternator and switch are functioning properly it will continue to charge - if it dies out after revving it a bit - the alternator isn't charging. If it pops that fuse again, and there's still no code 20, it's possible your fuse box (the ELD) is bad - if it pops again AND it throws a code 20, then you have a short - most likely in the secondary O2 or VSS wiring - the alternator wiring is also a possibility, but seeing as you threw a code 41, I'd replace BOTH O2 sensors first - and see where you are from there.

Once that fuse blows the alternator switch won't kick on - so the alternator won't charge the battery, so the reason for it not starting is probably just a dead battery.

EDIT:
PS: To check your codes w/o going to autozone or starting your car go here:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 PM
ru7

Not true in my case...

We were puting ITR cluster in EK4. We forgot to unplug the battery so we made a short circuit. We didnt know the fuses has gone...

After we put it together we coudnt start the car (Engine check). The code was #41. We started to check fuses and after changing alternator fuse (7,5 amp), the car started right up...

Wierd... The battery was fine.