Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

dumb question... jacking up car + fitting jackstand.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dumb question... jacking up car + fitting jackstand.

hey guys

i usually change my oil by rolling my car up a ramp, but since i dont have it available to me, i have to resort to my jack and jackstands.

i am fully aware that there is a jack point offset to the drivers side on my 96 civic, and then there are jacking tabs behind the front wheels.

my question is, how do i jack up the car, and fit jackstands under there at the same time. theres only enough room for either a jackstand or a jack. i cannot jack the car up, then slide the jackstand in.

if i jack it up front, the car is lopsided due to the offset location. is there something im missng?

thanks

ek.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: dumb question... jacking up car + fitting jackstand. (ekcivic9)

do one side at a time bud.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: dumb question... jacking up car + fitting jackstand. (ekcivic9)

Use the jack point on the radiator support (the offset one), then put the jackstands at the jack points behind the front wheels. It will be a little lopsided, but it works. This is how I have always done it.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about jacking on the lower control arm, then placing the jack under the tab?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would never jack my car up from the lca.

why do you feel the need for jack stands?
you can jack the car up enough to reach the drain bolt and get the filter from above.

thats how i handle it, unless you just feel the need to crawl under your car for some sort of sick auto-intimacy, you sicksick person.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
why do you feel the need for jack stands?
you can jack the car up enough to reach the drain bolt and get the filter from above.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are your arms 5 feet long? Even if I could reach, I wouldn't want a jack falling while my arm is under the car.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (k e v i n)

if your jack has a large enough pad (around 3.5-4''), you can just jack up anywhere on the pinch rail that is underneath the side skirt.

Look at the lift point. Go about 7-8'' towards the back of the car with the jack. Lift it there. Once its up, put the jackstand underneath the jacking tab.

Been doing it like this on my cars for years. Always lifted my 93 hatch, my 99 hatch, and my 99 GSR like this. Lift my friend's 97 coupe like that, and my friend's old 94 Del Sol like that. Lifted my friends 97 prelude like that. Lifted a 97 Accord like that. That's even how they roll at the dealership. As long as you have a LARGE jacking pad, you'll be fine.

If you're scared, you can also put the jack on the jack tab, and the jackstand on the double lapped part of the frame rail underneath the car. Or just behind the front wheels, there's a reinforced part of frame...like right next to the mud flaps.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

5 feet long?
the drain plug is no more then 2 feet from the front of the car.

the filter can be reached from the engine bay.

what happens if a jack falls with your arm under the car?
is your car on the ground?

i'm just trying to help, but i've never felt the need to crawl under the car to reach the drain plug.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

whats so hard about it? jack the car up at the jack point at the front..the car will go up lopsided set the jack stands at the same height, set them at the jack points on the side of teh car and lower jack, car will sit even on jack stands, i've always done this for years and years. this was always easiest to me then jacking one side at a time, besides jacking from the sides, not on the jack points will put a lump on your floor board! dont do it!
Old 12-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (VRD^don)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VRD^don &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">, not on the jack points will put a lump on your floor board! dont do it!</TD></TR></TABLE>

No it wont put a lump on your floorboards. The pinch rail follows from one lift point to the other.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No it wont put a lump on your floorboards. The pinch rail follows from one lift point to the other. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yup that works for me too. i had a hatch once and i think the front core support was replaced with a cheap *** one cause i was used to jacking from the front but on this hatch it just bent the **** out of it so i always go on the sides now. unless its an ef.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess my problem is, my jack doesnt go high enough when i jack the car up from the front.

as for just jacking one side up and just draining the oil from there, i rather not risk having the car come down on me and getting stuck
Old 12-27-2007, 05:52 PM

Never EVER do anything under your car w/ just a floor jack. That is the stupidest thing you could ever do. Why Risk your life? or major injuries! Always use jack stands!
Just jack up on the seem under the car next to where the jack point is. It may bend that piece of metal there. Just the seam lip part may bend a little? Mine have not bent. Then again I have factory rocker panel moldings so you cant see it anyways.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:03 PM

I use to change my oil every week. From every day beating
My car isnt slammed, so I i drive it up a curb on one side. Turn the steering wheel, and unloose the drain bolt. Wait for it to drain all out, drink a few beers 5 minut break. Dont for get the oil filter, 1 minuts unless you are slow.
Takes about 8 minuts to change oil on my civic
Old 12-27-2007, 09:53 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you feel the need for jack stands?
you can jack the car up enough to reach the drain bolt and get the filter from above..</TD></TR></TABLE>

<FONT COLOR="red"><FONT SIZE="5">DANGER! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!</FONT></FONT>
Old 12-28-2007, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Eran)

i used to put a 6 in by 6 in board on top of my scissor jack and put it under behind the jack point to lift it. then the jackstand under the jack point. worked great, didnt bend anything
Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you're scared, you can also put the jack on the jack tab, and the jackstand on the double lapped part of the frame rail underneath the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats where I put the jackstands, right where the frame rail is seamed/doubled. Never seems to hurt anything much more than maybe removing a little of the undercoating. I have seen the frame rails dented in where they aren't doubled though on other hondas.