Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

draining freon

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 PM
dso
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default draining freon

how should i go about uninstalling my a/c and draining the freon. i have the haynes manual and it says to take extreme caution with the freon part, but my shop said just to drain it out, what's the best way to do it?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:53 PM

Default Re: draining freon (dso)

You could either take it to an A/C shop and they will siphon it out or just carefully undo one of the lines and run away when it starts to shoot out.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:04 AM
dso
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: draining freon (F20Cteg)

yea idk i'll just have the shop do it, i was gonna just let it leak out all over the place, but karma always bites me in the ***.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can do it like me, just say expletive it and undo the big line with a wrench then have it blow up in your mouth/eyes/face etc. then stand there in shock like wtf do i do, then run in the house and pour water over your face for 30 minutes and think youre going blind, and everything tastes like freon for a couple of days.

OR, you can drain it from the fill holes, by pushing down the little pin just like a tire.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:07 PM
dso
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: draining freon (jadugartir)

how long would it take to drain from those holes? sorry bout you accident
Old 12-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how long would it take to drain from those holes? sorry bout you accident</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like 5 minutes. It's not so bad.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: draining freon (Ricey McRicerton)

or u can just ruin the environment Do it correct empty it out into a canister or something
Old 12-01-2006, 01:45 PM
dso
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: draining freon (CRX-Fluffy)

do you really think that lettin out a bit of freon does more damage than all the catless turbo setups on H-T i think not, though this is just my perspective.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you really think that lettin out a bit of freon does more damage than all the catless turbo setups on H-T i think not, though this is just my perspective.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And it's a poor perspective. "Other people are polluting, so what difference will my pollution make?" Very enlightened.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: draining freon (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And it's a poor perspective. "Other people are polluting, so what difference will my pollution make?" Very enlightened. </TD></TR></TABLE>
thats how our whole society looks at it, why not join them?
oh well...in a couple of years are environment will be so fukced that we will be forced to stop polluting.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
dso
Honda-Tech Member

ok so yea i just drained all the freon, **** went mad crazy anf filled up my garage with smoke, good thing it's breezy out side. well any way thanks to all for the suggestions, and sorry if i hurt any tree huggers feelings cause i try to be one too, but when it comes to saving fifty bucks i opted for the fifty.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Darth ModerVader

Congrats, you should be proud. That $50 will go a long way...
Old 12-01-2006, 02:37 PM
dso
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: draining freon (Padawan)

yea yea well you guys got your wish in a round about way, i wasn't able to disconnect the hoses from the pulley thing due to a bad angle and stripping the bolt while in the process i gashed my finger open. so yea i say we're even
Old 12-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i recently removed my ac.. i just slowly loosened the bolt at the compressor and once i heard the gas escaping i let it alone, this is all outside.... and i lossened it more a little later, and more gas came out and then this green **** started sputtering out, and viloa... done, disssconected the rest....
Old 12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (OVNI_CIVIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by F20Cteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You could either take it to an A/C shop and they will siphon it out or just carefully undo one of the lines and run away when it starts to shoot out.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I do when pulling an engine outta a fucked up car....just undo the line and walk away while it all drains out...give it 15 or 20 to drain out completely, then go at it...
Old 12-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Crowbar into the condensor works too. Just kidding.
Get it professionally recovered
Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97civicdx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97civicdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Crowbar into the condensor works too. Just kidding.
Get it professionally recovered</TD></TR></TABLE>

That costs unnecessary money.

Let it spew into the atmosphere, do your part to global warming. F uck paying a shop to do it.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:35 PM

BTW, R-134a is not very bad for the atmosphere. That was the reason for implementing it and why it is available for anyone to buy.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That costs unnecessary money.

Let it spew into the atmosphere, do your part to global warming. F uck paying a shop to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

every car i do i push it out side and let it float free...
Old 12-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDMej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> every car i do i push it out side and let it float free...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks dood
Old 12-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you know if someone takes the time to turn you in for this, you pay a $15k fine, and they get a $10k reward?

i mean, its not gauranteed but its possible.

draining refrigerant into the atmosphere is a big deal.

also, freon is a brand name, do you call all car ford?
Old 12-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://inventors.about.com/lib...n.htm

Side Note: The trade name Freon ® is a registered trademark belonging to E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company (DuPont).

Because Freon is non-toxic, it eliminated the danger posed by refrigerator leaks. In just a few years, compressor refrigerators using Freon would become the standard for almost all home kitchens. In 1930, Thomas Midgley held a demonstration of the physical properties of Freon for the American Chemical Society by inhaling a lung-full of the new wonder gas and breathing it out onto a candle flame, which was extinguished, thus showing the gas's non-toxicity and non-flammable properties. Only decades later did people realize that such chlorofluorocarbons endangered the ozone layer of the entire planet.

Side Note: CFCs, or Freon, are now infamous for greatly adding to the depletion of the earth's ozone shield. Leaded gasoline is also a major pollutant, and Thomas Midgley secretly suffered from lead poisoning because of his invention, a fact he kept hidden from the public.

im bad

Modified by OVNI_CIVIC at 12:03 AM 12/3/2006
Old 12-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OVNI_CIVIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OVNI_CIVIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://inventors.about.com/lib...n.htm

Side Note: The trade name Freon ® is a registered trademark belonging to E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company (DuPont).

Because Freon is non-toxic, it eliminated the danger posed by refrigerator leaks. In just a few years, compressor refrigerators using Freon would become the standard for almost all home kitchens. In 1930, Thomas Midgley held a demonstration of the physical properties of Freon for the American Chemical Society by inhaling a lung-full of the new wonder gas and breathing it out onto a candle flame, which was extinguished, thus showing the gas's non-toxicity and non-flammable properties. Only decades later did people realize that such chlorofluorocarbons endangered the ozone layer of the entire planet.

Side Note: CFCs, or Freon, are now infamous for greatly adding to the depletion of the earth's ozone shield. Leaded gasoline is also a major pollutant, and Thomas Midgley secretly suffered from lead poisoning because of his invention, a fact he kept hidden from the public.

im bad </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can't you reuse this crap? I think so, I bet the shop will do it for free if you let them keep it. :shrugs:
Old 12-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats funny ****.

before modern refrigerents they used amonia which was very dangerous.

also, while refregerent isnt flamable, when it burns it turns into phosgene(spelling) gas, which takes the place of oxygen and will kill you.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cambopheonix56)

it can be recycled, but generally its not just reused.

r134a is cheap enought to just go buy a couple cans and charge it up.

r12, which works a lot better, is no longer legal for manufacture, but you can buy old stock, or recycled. both of which are real expensive.

Quick Reply: draining freon