Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dome Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light Issues

Hey I just have a quick question about my malfunctioning domelight... it works just fine when it's in the full on position, but when I open my door and it's on the "half" setting it doesn't turn on like it should.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Dome Light Issues (dRuNkEnMoNkEy97)

sounds like the wiring for or the door ajar sensor are either shot...
put your key in the ignition with the door open or turn on your headlights with it open so its supposed to beep.... if its not beeping with the door open than youve got a bad door ajar sensor if it does beep and stops when you press in the little black rubber boot in the door jam than it sounds like one of the wires for your domelight to the sensors are shot
Old 09-27-2006, 07:58 PM

well it does beep when my headlights are open and door is ajar... so it's pretty obviously one of the wires... any ideas on fixing this? i don't wanna tear apart my headliner, but it would be nice to have a light on when i open my door
Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dRuNkEnMoNkEy97)

If you dont have a factory radio its not going to work like its supposed to.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (noz79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noz79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you dont have a factory radio its not going to work like its supposed to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there's no way that's correct
Old 09-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noz79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you dont have a factory radio its not going to work like its supposed to.</TD></TR></TABLE>
actually this is correct for 96-98. you have to put a jumper wire from lt green/red to lt. green/black wires in the green plug that went to the oem radio. this will make your dome light work like normal. in case you havent noticed theres a red search feature up in the top right corner, this has been covered alot.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92slowcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92slowcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

there's no way that's correct</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea man I know it sounds stupid but unfortunately its true.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yikes, i had no idea.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSPECSIR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually this is correct for 96-98. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 92, never had to deal with it.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: (92slowcivic)

sorry to say but this is a buch of bull **** since i have a aftermarket radio and my domelight hasnt had a prob since the day i got the car dont listen to that crap the only way your going to be able to rerun the wires is
A: remove the headliner and rerun the wire
B: use a snake and run another wiring just leaving the existing one there
its the wire to the sensor its prob a bad connection just replae the power wire coming from your door ajar sensor and if it doesnt work come back...
Old 10-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jhonny Ricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jhonny Ricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to say but this is a buch of bull **** since i have a aftermarket radio and my domelight hasnt had a prob since the day i got the car dont listen to that crap the only way your going to be able to rerun the wires is
A: remove the headliner and rerun the wire
B: use a snake and run another wiring just leaving the existing one there
its the wire to the sensor its prob a bad connection just replae the power wire coming from your door ajar sensor and if it doesnt work come back...</TD></TR></TABLE>
i dont know what rock you live under, but in 96-98 civics the dome light circuit from the door pinswitch runs through the radio's green harness. if the radio is unplugged from this harness the domelight will not turn on from the door unless the jumper wire is installed. if you your going to come in here with your useless **** stay under your rock.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem after modifiying my dome light. The switch isn't the best, mine as a little twitchy. Before you tear apart your headliner you may which to see if the dome light module is the cause. A mulitimeter will quickly determine this. You can also try pushing on the switch or hitting the damned thing to see if the light flickers or anything.

Cheers.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Re: (old man neri)

This is true.

-Shane
Old 10-01-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (nighttrain33)

Um my dome light works fine (beyond the switch unit itself having issues) and my car has an aftermarket deck. When I installed the new deck in the lower pocket and removed the old aftermarket deck from the oe hole I saw no cable with a green connector on it, nor do I have a loose wire loom in my hvac/stereo area in my dash at all. I have a feeling that IF you have the harness with the green plug on it than you MUST do the jumper trick BUT if you don't have it I'd venture a guess it's the switch that's failing and should be first to be replaced.
I've read alot of post and most say the OE alarm (keyless entry) will not work with out the oe stereo, but in this case the owner is asking about the dome light which can easily be fixed.
Also the idea of just "pulling the headliner down" is alot harder than it seems (I know I did it to install my cf headliner) and I'd say try a new domelight unit before tearing the car appart to take out the headliner.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (CarbonizedDX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CarbonizedDX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Um my dome light works fine (beyond the switch unit itself having issues) and my car has an aftermarket deck. When I installed the new deck in the lower pocket and removed the old aftermarket deck from the oe hole I saw no cable with a green connector on it, nor do I have a loose wire loom in my hvac/stereo area in my dash at all. I have a feeling that IF you have the harness with the green plug on it than you MUST do the jumper trick BUT if you don't have it I'd venture a guess it's the switch that's failing and should be first to be replaced.
I've read alot of post and most say the OE alarm (keyless entry) will not work with out the oe stereo, but in this case the owner is asking about the dome light which can easily be fixed.
Also the idea of just "pulling the headliner down" is alot harder than it seems (I know I did it to install my cf headliner) and I'd say try a new domelight unit before tearing the car appart to take out the headliner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The domelight and the keyless entry are both wired in through the stock radio.

-Shane
Old 10-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nighttrain33)

for some reason none of my crap works...headlight sound, domelight (only when i turn the button) and there is no noise when i open my door..wtf!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:49 PM

Default Re: (thizzed_out_civic)

96-98 civics that have the stock keyless entry system have the dome light run through the stereo. The keyless entry system is inside the stereo.

Not all 96-98, just keyless entry equipped civics.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSPECSIR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
actually this is correct for 96-98. you have to put a jumper wire from lt green/red to lt. green/black wires in the green plug that went to the oem radio. this will make your dome light work like normal. in case you havent noticed theres a red search feature up in the top right corner, this has been covered alot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct

&gt;&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM

off topic, but does anyone know where can I get a green harness to plug into my 05 S2000 deck?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Dome Light Issues

JSPECSIR is da man! I installed an aftermarket radio in my 1997 Honda Civic and the dome light would not illuminate with the doors open. I installed the jumper wire and it now works. It sucked getting into a dark car at night. Thanks!