Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods?

i am replacing my hub assembly and when putting the tie rod and ball joint nuts back on, is it manditory i put a cotter pin through them, or can i just tighten the nuts down?
Old 06-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (mOuse)

they are used to stop the nut from backing off... you SHOULD use them however don't NEED to... if you don't have any just get some and put them on when you get a chance...
Old 06-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (NonovUrbizniz)

Run them. Dont make it an option, Honda didnt.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (Migs)

I didnt have any cotter pins around so i used a small nail, stuck it through and bent it around so it wont come out.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (tracebuzta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tracebuzta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt have any cotter pins around so i used a small nail, stuck it through and bent it around so it wont come out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its only a couple bucks for a pack of them at any hardware store. save yourself some trouble and just buy some.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (civicdxtyper)

does the nut usually back out?

i knew i forgot something...
Old 06-07-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its only a couple bucks for a pack of them at any hardware store. save yourself some trouble and just buy some.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes they are very cheap...not worth ur ball joint nut coming off because of a cotter pin not installed...
Old 06-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (degooser)

Yeah my tie rod came off the only time i didn't use one. I'd def make it a point to put them in.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (CXHatchback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CXHatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah my tie rod came off the only time i didn't use one. I'd def make it a point to put them in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, better safe than sorry. wouldn't want your suspension to fall apart on the freeway.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they are used to stop the nut from backing off... you SHOULD use them however don't NEED to... if you don't have any just get some and put them on when you get a chance... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't listen to this guy.

You NEED to use the cotter pins. Your suspension take SUCH a beating..and with added wheel hop, stiffer suspension, etc, the not is WAY more likely to back off.

Happened to a good friend of mine. He "didn't think" he needed one....well, his lower control arm came loose and the wheel just collapsed.....cause lots of damage to the car also, as well as his ego
Old 06-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (Emerika)

i used these think 'hair pins' i got at the autoparts store (they look like the ones used in hood pins but smaller), they work pretty good. i havent had one fall out or a nut back off yet. plus there easily reusable and not a bitch to remove...
Old 06-07-2003, 10:29 PM

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (Emerika)

Do you guys actually think that a thin peice of metal that i can bend with my fingers is gonna keep a bolt from coming off that has that much pressure on it??? I dont think so. The peoples that backed off didnt torque them to spec. I just add a dab of lock tite and torque them. Never had a problem in the last 5 years. Just stated my personal experience so do whatever you makes you happy.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (degooser)

I think your playing with your life by messing around and not using capable cotter pins. Some kid sold a toyota truck to another guy and the kid moved away , the buyer of the truck ended up dying as the suspension assembly came apart and locked up goin 60 mph due to innapropriate installation
Old 06-08-2003, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (turbocivic4)

take from me
I was lucky, I was doing a 10 mph turn

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=528043
Old 06-08-2003, 01:23 AM

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (jDmDxTuRd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDmDxTuRd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you guys actually think that a thin peice of metal that i can bend with my fingers is gonna keep a bolt from coming off that has that much pressure on it??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Install a cotter pin in a bolt and try shearing it with the nut. Believe me Ive tried many times trying to get corroded parts apart thinking it would be a short cut. Usally I would end up ruining the hardware and working harder trying back the nut off.
Use cotter pins! They are just like safetywire. A back-up for torque if that fails.

The pubs even dictate how they are installed on the aircraft I work on. Bent up over the bolt and not to extend more than half way accross the bolt end and down the face of the nut but not touching the washer. The reason why they specify the length is because if they are too long or stick out something could catch on it and have enough leverage to bend it easier.

Modified by nosepkr at 10:44 PM 6/8/2003
Old 06-08-2003, 01:30 AM

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (nosepkr)

i dont really cotter pin too much. but its not cause i dont think they are needed. i am just a wire junkie. i wire everything. just comes from the old race car days i guess
Old 06-08-2003, 04:54 AM

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (DJ KrunchyKracker)

Aircraft mechanic.
Everything is torqued and either safetywired, shearwired, cotterpinned, slip marked, sealed, has some type of bracket or retaining device attached to it.

We use alot of high tolerance self retaining bolts that have 2 ball bearings that protrude out of the sides. In addition to that and of course the correct torque cotterpinning, and slip marking are required to see if the bolt is rotating or loose. hehe some of the titanium bolts cost over 500.00 each.

Old 06-08-2003, 05:57 AM

Default Re: do i need cotter pins for ball joints and tie rods? (jDmDxTuRd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDmDxTuRd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you guys actually think that a thin peice of metal that i can bend with my fingers is gonna keep a bolt from coming off that has that much pressure on it??? I dont think so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. It will. As stated above, I'll bet you can't remove the nut with hand tools with a cotter pin installed.

Safety, safety, safety. Especially cheap and easy safety. People who cheap out or who are too lazy to use $1.25 cotter pins are stupid.

Shawn