Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: Patching holes on trunk???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Patching holes on trunk???

I am planning on taking my spoiler off and want to patch the holes myself. What steps do I need to take to patch the holes? What are the materials that I need?

here is a pic of my car with the spoiler:

Old 02-12-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: DIY: Patching holes on trunk??? (dawrenn)

some tape on inside of trunk and putty,tiger hair, or fiberglass filler, and touch up paint
Old 02-12-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: DIY: Patching holes on trunk??? (civictildeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some tape on inside of trunk and putty,tiger hair, or fiberglass filler, and touch up paint </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why tape on the inside of trunk? Someone told me to weld the holes shut then grind it down smooth and then put bondo on it.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:25 PM

well you can do that but if you dont have a welder then you put the tape there so you dont get bondo all over you trunk interior
Old 02-12-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: DIY: Patching holes on trunk??? (civictildeath)

It depends on whether the holes go all the way through your truck or not...
Old 02-12-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: DIY: Patching holes on trunk??? (EXCoupe03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EXCoupe03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It depends on whether the holes go all the way through your truck or not...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The holes do go all the way through the trunk, they are the stock spoiler location. What should I do? Weld the holes shut or just use bondo?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jusr use bondo welding would be a pain in the ***
Old 02-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

welding would be the correct method, if you wanted to do it right and had the time and extra money.

Using filler is a bad idea because during the summer the heat expands it. causing the paint to crack and the filled spot to pop. It happens all the time, just takes a little moisture and some heat.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: DIY: Patching holes on trunk??? (skater5067)

Ok. I just want to fix it right now. When I get the money I am getting my whole car repainted.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: Patching holes on trunk??? (skater5067)

you cant just use bondo, because it will crack.

welding would be the best solution.

next would be plumbers putty, its a metal in a puddy compound. after that hardens sand it level with a top coat of body filler to make it smooth.

your other option would be jbweld and metal squares, same concept as welding except its jb welding. and just for less confusion the metal square goes underneath the bumper not on the top. it is to give the hole a surface to apply body filler with out cracking and falling out.

after you decide how to fill the holes go to a paint supplier and get a pint of color match paint via door sills color code (that is if its factory paint) and if you dont have access to a paint gun or air brush, buy a small jar and an airasole cansite that screws to the top and fill it with your paint. if you dont know what im talking about go to a paint shop and ask for the desposable airasole painting system.

a quick painting tip for blending the paint...take a piece of rope or weather stripping and out line the area to be painted leaving about 1-2 inches of good paint. tac it down with double sided tape and mask the outside area off. when you paint the rope will cause the paint to fade out to the edge instead of leaving a defined line. after painting all you have to do is a light wet sand and some rubbing compound to completey blend the area into the existing paint job.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: DIY: Patching holes on trunk??? (Syner-G-Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syner-G-Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you cant just use bondo, because it will crack.

welding would be the best solution.

next would be plumbers putty, its a metal in a puddy compound. after that hardens sand it level with a top coat of body filler to make it smooth.

your other option would be jbweld and metal squares, same concept as welding except its jb welding. and just for less confusion the metal square goes underneath the bumper not on the top. it is to give the hole a surface to apply body filler with out cracking and falling out.

after you decide how to fill the holes go to a paint supplier and get a pint of color match paint via door sills color code (that is if its factory paint) and if you dont have access to a paint gun or air brush, buy a small jar and an airasole cansite that screws to the top and fill it with your paint. if you dont know what im talking about go to a paint shop and ask for the desposable airasole painting system.

a quick painting tip for blending the paint...take a piece of rope or weather stripping and out line the area to be painted leaving about 1-2 inches of good paint. tac it down with double sided tape and mask the outside area off. when you paint the rope will cause the paint to fade out to the edge instead of leaving a defined line. after painting all you have to do is a light wet sand and some rubbing compound to completey blend the area into the existing paint job. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What is JBweld?

I am kinda confused about the painting tip?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to an auto store and just ask for JB weld. its a two part bonding silicone. its just as strong as welding if done properly (and with in reason)

what dont you understand about the painting tip?
Old 02-12-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: DIY: Patching holes on trunk??? (Syner-G-Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syner-G-Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to an auto store and just ask for JB weld. its a two part bonding silicone. its just as strong as welding if done properly (and with in reason)

what dont you understand about the painting tip?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am confused on where to put the rope/weather stripping? I also dont get how it works.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh, and are you going to sell that wing? If so, how much?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the rope only allows a varying amount of paint to shade the edge instead of having a defined line of paint at the edge of the masked area. make any sense?

the area you would tape off around the patch is where you would put the rope. the only point of the rope is to create a blending effect.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, and are you going to sell that wing? If so, how much?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would sell it but its cracked.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syner-G-Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the rope only allows a varying amount of paint to shade the edge instead of having a defined line of paint at the edge of the masked area. make any sense?

the area you would tape off around the patch is where you would put the rope. the only point of the rope is to create a blending effect.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kinda makes sense.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:46 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (dawrenn)

go to a Honda dealer. Tell them what your doing, and ask for Hondabond (Honda flavored bondo).
Old 02-13-2005, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to a Honda dealer. Tell them what your doing, and ask for Hondabond (Honda flavored bondo). </TD></TR></TABLE>

looks like all my replys this early morning will be dickheaded ones... but jeez, ppl need to read and learn. WTF DOES HE NEED HONDABOND FOR?!?! IT DOESN'T CURE DISEASES! ESPECIALLY NOT STUPIDITY!

do you even know what hondabond is? just because it says BOND on it does not mean it bondOOOOOOOOOO. it's used as a secondary gasket/sealer. not for body repair/paint prep.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Advan06)

Preach on brotha! One thing that always bothers me is people calling body filler bondo...bondo is a manufacturer of body filler. or channel locks. etc. i even do it myself some times.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Re: (Redline96LX)

hahahaha.. thats funny

get it welded.. grind the excess.. use body filler.. preferrably polyurethane compound.. sand 80 grit, -&gt; 180 grit-&gt; primer -&gt; wetsand 600 grit -&gt; sealer -&gt; paint - &gt; done.. or pay someone to do it..

tip: dont use 3m sandpaper.. it sucks.. look for the eagle brand..
Old 02-13-2005, 02:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Syner-G-Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to a Honda dealer. Tell them what your doing, and ask for Hondabond (Honda flavored bondo). </TD></TR></TABLE>
hahaha

ROFLO.... me and my roommates just got a good kick from this one. Anyways.. bro welding would be fine, but it's just a bit overkill. I use jb weld, heres's a pic, take some thin sheet metal, thinner the better(cheaper) and cut out little squares, mix your jb weld, and cover the sides, then let it hardern come back and apply a layer over the entire surfuce, just make sure to sand the paint on the BACK so the jb weld will ahere properly. I've done this a few times and it holds moister out, creates a firm panel for the body filler to lay in. The rest.. i dunno..
Old 02-13-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Re: (Tanmt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tanmt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahahaha.. thats funny

get it welded.. grind the excess.. use body filler.. preferrably polyurethane compound.. sand 80 grit, -&gt; 180 grit-&gt; primer -&gt; wetsand 600 grit -&gt; sealer -&gt; paint - &gt; done.. or pay someone to do it..

tip: dont use 3m sandpaper.. it sucks.. look for the eagle brand.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What sucks about 3m sandpaper? My dad uses it all the time and how no problems with it.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:19 AM

it wears out real fast..
Old 02-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Banned

Step 1 Take the spoiler off.
Step 2 Sand down the paint around the holes(with paint the welder cant get a ground)
Step 3 Take it to your local muffler shop, have them plug weld the holes for 5$
Step 4 Take it home sand the area smooth use a little finishing glaze, sand.
Step 5 take it to a body shop and have them sand and repaint the trunklid.
Step 6 Be glad you didnt use fiberglass filler on metal like some people on this thread said to.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: DIY: Patching holes on trunk??? (JakeIsCool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JakeIsCool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Step 1 Take the spoiler off.
Step 2 Sand down the paint around the holes(with paint the welder cant get a ground)
Step 3 Take it to your local muffler shop, have them plug weld the holes for 5$
Step 4 Take it home sand the area smooth use a little finishing glaze, sand.
Step 5 take it to a body shop and have them sand and repaint the trunklid.
Step 6 Be glad you didnt use fiberglass filler on metal like some people on this thread said to. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont need to take it to a muffler shop, My dad has a welder. I was planning on using Bondo Body Filler.

Quick Reply: DIY: Patching holes on trunk???