Old 02-05-2004, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can

Ok, every one asked for it so i wrote it all up last night:

Here is an easy way to make your own catch can:

Time: 1-4 hours aprox.

Parts list:
3' hose (I used Aeroquip RS hose)
4 hose clamps (again Aeroquip pro clamps)
2 90 degree barbed elbows (pipe fittings)(I used more Aeroquip fittings)
1 wet location utility box (steel)
1 cover plate (steel)
1 drain **** (made for radiators)

Other materials:
Teflon tape
RTV silicone or similar sealant
One of those lufas (you can find this in any chicks shower)
Basic tools

NOTE: you will need to figure out what sizes of what you need for your set up. I used –08 hoses and fittings. Also youĂ‚Â’re going to need to have a little imagination to tweak and make yours fit your car just right.

1st off if you don’t know how this works its simple. This can catches oil and/or oil vapor in your car and keeps it from going back into your engine to be burnt or build up as sludge. Cleaner engine = better performance = happy you.

I started by finding a good location to mount my box. You will need access to the bottom to drain it now and again so give your self a few inches from the bottom. Also try to stay away from any thing the might get hot.

If you found the box I did there will be 3 holes in it. There should be two or three threaded plugs with it. Put RTV silicone (or equivalent) on them and thread in. (note: mine only came with two plugs: so…buy one extra) Next: Drill two holes in the top plate for your 90* elbows to go into. I made mine a little smaller then my fittings so I could thread them in. next drill your hole in the bottom for the drain. Thread fittings with RTV silicone into appropriate spots. Make sure you plan ahead. (ex. Drain plug on the correct side, or pointing your fitting in the correct direction)

Tape off and paint w/e color you like.

Now tear apart that lovely lufa and cut yourself a small section (pink thing in pic). Stuff it into your box; it just needs to lie in there not stick out the top. This will act as a baffle. Then run a bead of RTV silicone around the edge of the box where it will touch the top plate. Put top plate on. RTV the screws and tighten the plate to the box. !!! Make sure the box is air tight!!! A good way to test this is by letting every thing dry and then putting one finger on a fitting and sucking on the other to see if it will hold a vacume. If it does not reseal it.

Next: build your hoses. The distance from your box to your throttle body will determine the length of your hose. In the picture your can see the one-way valve my Honda had. Attach one end of the hose to the barbed fitting and the other end to the one-way valve. (Read below to find the valve) Do the same with the other hose but this time no valve (Note: use Teflon tape on threads) It does not matter witch hose goes on witch fitting right now, but make sure they wont cross or look stupid when they are installed.

Next I mounted my box by bending a piece of 1/8-inch aluminum around it. I drilled a hole on one end and used a 10 mm bolt to fasten it to the spot I pre-selected.

To install your hosing you will need to remover the stock hose. It will be a hose on the front right of your throttle body. There will be two hoses next to each other one is small one is a little bit bigger. You want the bigger one. Fallow it downward toward your engine. It shouldn’t be much longer then about 6– 12 inches ending with a 90* plastic like elbow. (This is that one-way valve I was talking about: pictured above) if you didnĂ‚Â’t take it out yet do so now. Also, remove the hose that connects it to the throttle body. If you already connected the valve to your hose put the valve back into its spot. Disregard the stock hose you just removed. Run the new hose from the other fitting to the throttle body. Make sure that you tighten all bolts, clamps, screws, drains, and fittings, etc. youĂ‚Â’re done

Now step back and enjoy.

If any one has a question or need help finding parts let me know. If you cant find them ask, or i can send seperate parts to you. Also if you would like me to make you the same one I have with the Aeroquip hose and fitting I can do that too. PM me for details.

Modified by delsol8694 at 6:18 PM 2/5/2004

Modified by delsol8694 at 10:04 PM 2/5/2004
Old 02-05-2004, 01:50 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (delsol8694)

Haha, that's awesome!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:59 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (clm)

looks like your motor is stock , how will you benifit from a catch can?
Old 02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (Hella_JDM)

but it is clean
Old 02-05-2004, 02:09 PM
opi
Honda-Tech Member

great DIY, thanks for sharing w/ everybody
Old 02-05-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (H22A EG6)

sweet i might do that this weekend thanks for the post
Old 02-05-2004, 02:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks like your motor is stock , how will you benifit from a catch can?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ANY motor will benfit by getting all that **** out of there. or it cant hurt as long as you do it right.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks like your motor is stock , how will you benifit from a catch can?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont you see the invisible intake on there? thats some hig power **** hehehe
Old 02-05-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (b16si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dont you see the invisible intake on there? thats some hig power **** hehehe</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA yea one-of-a-kind!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:09 PM
OG triple OG

im not knocking it , its very cool. but im just saying .....
Old 02-05-2004, 06:49 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not knocking it , its very cool. but im just saying .....</TD></TR></TABLE>

what are you saying? that its worthless on a stock motor? youre wrong. do you even know what an oil catch can is? you tell me why he wont benefit from it and then ill tell you why he will....
Old 02-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it appears that you have stainless steel line over your ground wire running from the valve cover. i think it looks tacky sorry
Old 02-05-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (lohatch)

nice write-up. got any more pics of it?
Old 02-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice write-up ! love your avatar! GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:12 PM

sweet, thanks a lot man!
Old 02-06-2004, 04:01 AM

Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what are you saying? that its worthless on a stock motor? youre wrong. do you even know what an oil catch can is? you tell me why he wont benefit from it and then ill tell you why he will....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats right

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice write-up. got any more pics of it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not of the install, sorry

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it appears that you have stainless steel line over your ground wire running from the valve cover. i think it looks tacky sorry</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, but i build my car for me...not you. sorry you dont like it man.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent!!
Old 02-06-2004, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the DIY
Old 02-06-2004, 08:08 AM

What is that Oil Catch Can for?
looks neat!
Old 02-06-2004, 09:02 AM

Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (EG6[B16A1])

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6[B16A1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]What is that Oil Catch Can for?
looks neat!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your car has a crankcase breathing system known as the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system.
The purpose of this is to vent oily gases from your engine, these gases are usually fed back into your intake manifold and back into your engine but this has the effect of lowering your fuels' octane level slightly and leaves a black sludge inside your intake manifold. Put your fingers through the throttle body and you will see what I mean.

The purpose of the catch can is to trap the oil while letting the clean air continue to the engine, once the can is full you can tip it out somewhere safe.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:11 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what are you saying? that its worthless on a stock motor? youre wrong. do you even know what an oil catch can is? you tell me why he wont benefit from it and then ill tell you why he will....</TD></TR></TABLE>

post the dyno differences and if you get more hp from a catch can on a bone stock motor , ill give you the keys to my car.

i know it will help keep blowby out of hte intake , but stock motors come like that right , so i dont think its really a big deal on a stock motor
Old 02-06-2004, 09:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

post the dyno differences and if you get more hp from a catch can on a bone stock motor , ill give you the keys to my car.

i know it will help keep blowby out of hte intake , but stock motors come like that right , so i dont think its really a big deal on a stock motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks
Old 02-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Props to you and your DIY.

Hella_JDM
Who cares if the motor is stock. Did he anywhere say it was to give him more power? It's people like you that keep people from posting DIY threads. If you don't like it or are just jealous b/c you did not think of it or could not DIY keep your comments to yourself.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can (underpressure02)

The purpose of the oil catch can give's you the same benefits fo having a breather filter at the same time properly filtering out your "****" oil.

Its not to add hp to the engine but to keep "****" oil out of your intake manifold which eventually when it builds up will rob you of horsepower, or could even worse help you fail emissions when you have to get your **** checked.

So for an innovative diy mod that will add to the longevity of your engine.

and to an environment friendly mod.

and to the people who question what someone else wants to do to their car. Not for the purpose to educate themselves but to make others feel stupid.

Modified by 137 at 1:07 PM 2/6/2004
Old 02-06-2004, 10:26 AM

I am still a little confused about this oil can, althought I sorta know what it is for. So where does the oil vapour go for Honda stock motor? Say a D16Y7?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - How To build your own Oil Catch Can