Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Buying a 97 EX, wondering about a couple hoses...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 97 EX, wondering about a couple hoses...

So I am picking up a 97 Civic EX 4dr tomorrow for $700. good shape, didnt think it was V-Tech until I saw the solenoid on the back of the head for it. Car has a blown Head Gasket though. gonna get the parts from the local Honda dealer in the morning for that, both gaskets and new bolts...

My question is about one of the coolant hoses off the back of the head and intake... the Hose seems to go back tot he firewall, then bend 180degrees (And kink) and then come back to the intake... I might have the locations wrong, but i did snap a couple pics of it... Can someone tell me what this SHOULD look like? Im guessing a simple "C" shaped hose. also what is it called so I can grab it at the dealership tomorrow with the gaskets..

here is where it is attached...

and the kink....

and because everyone likes to see cars....

Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Buying a 97 EX, wondering about a couple hoses...

I'm assuming that kinked hose is your heater core hose. It was bypassed and looped back to the block. You probably have no heat
Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking something like that too, but I thougt I saw heater hoses coming out of the firewall and hooked up back there... I will look at it more tomorrow when I pick it up.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The C shaped hose looks right. It goes from the thermostat to the intake manifold I think. I really can't remember lol but that's besides the point. It is how it's supposed to be. As for that kinked hose. Who knows really. My first thought was also the heater core. Maybe you have the hoses coming out of the from the heater still but it's just hanging loose not connected. And the other is looped to where it's supposed to connect
Old 09-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah your not going to have heat , one hose is like 12 dollars and the other is 14, I just replaced these on my coupe.....also it may be overheating due to that sweet *** kink in the line, also when they looped it I can almost guarantee they didn't bleed the cooling system.....yeah I know I'm profiling a little bit but judging by the lack of care that was taken of that car there is probably lots of other buck Rodgers **** hiding within
Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got the car home today and got the head and intake pulled off. those hoses are NOT the heater hoses... heater hoses are still hooked up. and of course I forgot to snap a pic....
Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no wonder it had a blown headgasket lol. that hose is kinked. good luck with the new car!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got the headgasket changed out today. all in all it wasnt to bad of a job. new bolts and gaskets throughout. as to my mystery hose... I went to Honda and had them look it up. it is a bypass hose and it costs 14 bucks. Should be here tomorrow.

and yes, I checked the head and it wasnt warped. but during teardown I did find two head bolts that were a little loose.

Put the old kinked hose on and the car started right up. granted I only let it run for about 5 seconds. still have to flush the coolant and oil as well as put the proper hose on it. But it seems like it is good now.