Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

distributor lkeaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor lkeaking oil

ok i just put a new o-ring on my distributor and it didn't help the oil leak. i pulled the distributor cap off and oil it's leaking from the inside of the distributor. is there any way to fix this? also it's a z6 distributor and i have a spare cx distributor if i can use any of the parts. thanks for any help.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Bad cam seal.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:57 PM

Default Re: distributor lkeaking oil (FMIDRC Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FMIDRC Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i just put a new o-ring on my distributor and it didn't help the oil leak. i pulled the distributor cap off and oil it's leaking from the inside of the distributor. is there any way to fix this? also it's a z6 distributor and i have a spare cx distributor if i can use any of the parts. thanks for any help. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You will need to replace the distributor sub assembly to stop that leak. There is a seal in the bottom of the distributor that is leaking ... and unfortunately ... you can not get that seperate. You could try to get one from a junk yard ... but you may get one that is no better then what you have now.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:58 PM

Default Re: (FrozenSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FrozenSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bad cam seal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is definately NOT your cam seal ... since the cam seal is on the opposite end of the cam. It is located behind the cam gear that drives the timing belt.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwkirchner)

what is the seal made of? i remeber hearing something about a bearing? can i use the seal from my cx distributor and put it on the z6 one? or is it maybe a o-ring that i could just pick up from a store? or is it a bearing? i really need to fix this, and i preferre to fix it without having to buy another distributor. thanks for the reply.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwkirchner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is definately NOT your cam seal ... since the cam seal is on the opposite end of the cam. It is located behind the cam gear that drives the timing belt. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you're not talking about the same thing he is. You probably have the right name although I thouht this was called the cam cap seal or something. This is the STR piece. It's the red thing is this picture. It's very prone to leaking as OEM is plastic. That's why STR came out with a billet one.

for the original poster, this could very well be where your leak is coming from also.

Hope that helps.

s
Old 10-22-2003, 06:27 PM

Default Re: (stevel)

Maybe I am reading the thread wrong ... but I am pretty sure that the person having this issue with the oil leak said that "there was oil leaking inside the distributor". Would you mind telling me how oil will leak inside the distributor if the "red" seal in your picture happened to leak?

Just curious.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwkirchner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe I am reading the thread wrong ... but I am pretty sure that the person having this issue with the oil leak said that "there was oil leaking inside the distributor". Would you mind telling me how oil will leak inside the distributor if the "red" seal in your picture happened to leak?

Just curious.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, chill out. I'm just presenting another option. This is a very common leak and is cheap and easy to fix. I just thought I'd share.

s
Old 10-22-2003, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (stevel)

I am NOT getting smart OR trying to get you pissed. I was just ASKING a question.

I understand that the seal you are showing in your picture will indeed leak after a while due to getting hard. The question I was addressing though was the oil leak he was experiencing "inside the distributor". I normally try to address the issue in a particular thread ... not give information on other things that can happen on a particular engine.

I could understand you putting that information in here had the individual asked if someone might have any ideas where oil might be leaking on the passenger side of the engine ... then ... YES ... that would have been appropriate.

Not here to fight or argue with you. Just letting you know why I asked what I did when you posted in the thread.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you guys could both be right. anyways my friend had a leak around the stock "seal", the one that is where the red one is in the pic and to fix it he put silicone all around the seal and it stoped it.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl
Default Re: (CivicFerioSiR)

lets stop all the fighting 1st its not a cam seal because its a sohc motor hes talking about and to answer your ? just get a used dissy its a lot of work to rip apart a dissy
Old 10-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicFerioSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicFerioSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the one that is where the red one is in the pic and to fix it he put silicone all around the seal and it stoped it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I can read right.. he said it is leaking inside his Dizzy.. it could be residual from the time his dizzy gasket leaked or the shaft seal in the dizzy went out.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BatuKing)

ok, lets do thjis again. to start with it's a d16z6 head. i don't have a cam seal like the red one pictured. when i take the motor to higher rpm's the oill pretty much pours out from the inside of the distributor. so it sounds like it's the shaft seal for the distributor. can anyone tell me what that is made of? also can i take the guts from my cx one and put them inside the z6 one? or can i just use the seal? i don't have the time to buy another distributor cause i need this fixed by saturday. thanks for all the replies so far.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FMIDRC Racer)

You must replace the dizzy housing to fix this leak. You cant remove one from another dizzy with out ruining the seal and they dont sell them separately. I've been looking for the seals from a "non-honda" part dealer but no luck yet.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (realblag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by realblag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You must replace the dizzy housing to fix this leak. You cant remove one from another dizzy with out ruining the seal and they dont sell them separately. I've been looking for the seals from a "non-honda" part dealer but no luck yet. </TD></TR></TABLE>

really? i just removed mine today from old cx distributor and put it in my z6 distributor and the leak is no more. it was very easy as well. just remove the round metal ring that holds the end shaft connector to the main shaft. then push the pin out and take that off and the shims. then take the dizzy cap off and the rotor and the plastic cover. you will see 3 screws that hold the distibutor shaft down. pill that out and then you will be able to see the seal. inmy case mine just poped out and rode up the shaft, but i replaced it anyways. go back to the ouside of the casewhere you pulled the end shaft off and you will see a metal spacer i guess. it sits between the center of the seal and the dizzy case. just use a 11mm sock and tap that once with a hammer and it pops the seal right out. then just install the new one. it's really just that easy. oh yeah and make sure that you mark the end of the shaft and the peice that connects to it so that way you don't put it on 180 deg off.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FMIDRC Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FMIDRC Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i just removed mine today from old cx distributor and put it in my z6 distributor and the leak is no more.so </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool!! I killed mine trying to get it out. It was pressed in really tight. Maybe I'll get one off a bad dizzy so I can show some of the guys at the parts houses. If the seal could be purchased (new), it would save people alot of money cause dizzy housings ain't cheap.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (realblag)

did you try to knock it out with the socket? mine was tight as well. i tried to get it out with a pick and i hurt it a little so figured that i should stop. then i used the socket and it popped right out. and yeah, they could make allot of miney on those damn seals. ther has to be something out there that would work. maybe if i called mitsuba or mitsubitshi (whoever makes them), that might sell them direct.