Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

distributor cause bad ecm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor cause bad ecm?

So just wondering if someone can tell me if a distributor problem could cause an ecm to go bad?. Klein honda in Everett Wa, told my friend this is what happened. They told us they swapped ecm and the car still had no spark. However we towed it to my house where I found a bad capacitor in the ecm and replaced it. The car started and runs good with no c.e.l. I called them to ask why this fixed it when they said they had already tried this. All they would say is that the distributor signal wire caused this would not answer my question. They also lost the screw that holds the rotor in the distributor cap, causing the tach to be erratic. Can someone please tell me if these guys have any idea what they are talking about???
Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: distributor cause bad ecm?

ttt. seems like if this was a possible problem I would have found other cases on the internet, which I have not? Guess I should just be happy that what the dealer said would cost 1200 my friend who is an electrical engineer and I fixed for less than a dollar. Forgot to say car is a 92 civic lx 1.5 160,000
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright I just find this funny that in two days on a tech forum almost no technical advice has reared its head on this site in my question or nearly anyone elses. It seems like all that happens here is people post what there cars look like, and then flame each other for it. Its funny the difference I can go lurk on the f150 forums and be intrigued for as long as I let myself by peoples knowledge here at best people know what a thermostat is and how to lower your car. Tech forum??? hah
Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No pictures of the damage to ECU. Hm.

Crappy Honda techs lying about work they did not perform? Perhaps. Wouldn't be the first time.

Posting up an already fixed issue and speculating? Pointless.

You on a schedule? Are you PAYING for tech support here? NOPE! Insulting the community will not get you help. People will answer if they have the answer. People VOLUNTEER to assist other members of this forum. Maybe you should stick with domestics then. They break down so often that there is probably TONS of tech info to browse to your heart's content.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 12-01-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ boom!! he said it all

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android