Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

distributor wire broken at splice

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor wire broken at splice

My 1997 Civic CX KA5 MT D16y7 began to have slow starts, as if the battery were low. Then it began to stall at red lights. Now it starts sporadically but will die somewhere along my short trips to the store. I put in new sparkplugs, a new IACV, a new coil, a new battery, and a refurbished ECU. It cranks but won't turn over.
Below are pictures of the distributor connector. I found the yellow-green wire broken and the dark reddish plastic splice is to a blue wire that runs from the yellow-green wire to the ecu. How can I fix the yellow-green broken wire and splice so that they will function correctly? I don't have access to an electrical outlet - I'm in an apt. parking lot.
This stalling seems to be a major problem with this particular model. It's very dangerous. I need to get it fixed.
Thank you for your attention.
yellow-green broken wire

the splice
Old 08-06-2022, 03:45 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: distributor wire broken at splice

The Yel/Grn wire from the Ignition Control Module (ICM) wire is supposed to go to the ECM at Connector A, pin no. 20.

Seems like someone added the tap and blue wire to fix a wiring issue.

If that is where the red tap connector with the blue wire went to (Connector A, pin 20), then reconnect the tap connector with the used connector or a new one to the Yel/Grn wire. If the blue wire didn't go to Connector A, pin 20, then reconnect the broken Yel/Grn wire with a butt connector and see if that fixes it.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-06-2022, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Scotch Locks (the red clip in your photos) are a TERRIBLE design and typically do damage to the wiring it is connected to. I suggest you reconnect the two yellow/green wires at the distributor plug by either crimping and shrink-wrapping or soldering them together. If the blue wire that was previously attached to this junction, and you NEED it for some function (direct signal to gauge cluster tach OR aftermarket tach... or maybe some electronic supporting device), join it with one of the two yellow/green wires that you are repairing.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! I truly appreciate your generosity in providing the info and recommendations!