Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dim turn signal lights on cluster

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dim turn signal lights on cluster

So I am having this problem since around 2 weeks. Car is civic eg8 with Sir cluster.

Now let me explain the problem in the best way I can...

1. When car is running without any headlights or a/c turned on, the turn signal lights on the cluster are rather dimmish, but clearly visible. Left signal is more dimmer than right signal.

Why I say dimmish? Because I have compared with the hazards, and when the hazards are switched on, they both light up nice and bright on cluster.

2. When car is running with headlights turned on, no a/c, the turn signal lights on the cluster get more dim, like half the brightness. Again, left signal is more dimmer than right signal.

In this case as well, both lights on cluster turn on nice and bright when hazard is switched on.

3. When car is running with headlights turned on, and a/c as well, the turn signal lights on the cluster get even further dim (almost dead), and on lower rpms (like 800 to 1500) it totally blacks out.

In this case as well, both lights on cluster turn on nice and bright when hazard is switched on.

Now something else to note, is that the rpm needle bounces with the turn signal tick-ticks on low rpms (800). I feel its like proper voltage is not reaching the cluster when using turn signals.

Even though I am sure the problem is not in the cluster since lights are turning on just fine with the hazards, I still took out the cluster to have a look and found it in order. Jiggled the wires a little to see any change, but none.

I also tested this: Turned on left turn signal with headlights and a/c on, and the turn light on cluster was very dim (almost dead). Simultaneously, I turned on the hazards and both turn signals were full bright.

I also unplugged and replugged the hazard switch (which was a normal procedure when taking off the a/c grill to reach the cluster).

Need suggestions as to what I should check; I have no clue right now.

The external turn lights are lighting up regardless.

Edit: I just realized I wrote a story book :p
Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dim turn signal lights on cluster

I bet your alternator is going. Just a guess from a guy who never replaced one on a civic but I think I'm right none the less. Any shop can check how much power it is generating in a few minutes.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Grant12978
I bet your alternator is going. Just a guess from a guy who never replaced one on a civic but I think I'm right none the less. Any shop can check how much power it is generating in a few minutes.
Had that been the alternator, dont you think other lights in the cluster, or any other light on the dashboard or on body would have been affected as well?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i switched the turn signal / hazard relay from an EK into my car. Still the same problem.

Its so confusing as the turn signal and hazards both use same wires to indicators (green/blue and green/yellow), but on turn signals the problem exists and not on hazards :/

Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Voltage test fuse 15, as well as the Yel wire in the connector for hazard lights switch. Post the voltage measurements.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting around 13+ without load, and around 11.5 to 12v with load (headlights and a/c) on both (fuse 15 and yel wire).

With the turn signal turned on, the voltage on Yel wire gradually goes down to under 10v (within 30 seconds); only when the turn signal blinks of course.

With hazards are turned on, just slight change in voltage (drop of around 0.1v to 0.3v).

So whats the culprit here?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I just replaced the alternator in my civic. It is measuring 14.5volts without load. The ELD (electrical load detector) will vary the voltage depending on the load. I've talked with master honda techs and they've all agreed that the civic runs a slightly higher voltage, normally. Also, if you check the FSM (factory service manual) it will also tell you that under 15v is normal.. 11.5 volts with load is way too low, the battery is not being charged at anything below 12.3-12.5 volts! You're draining your battery instead. so....

You need to get the alternator tested before wasting your time guessing. you could be here all year wondering what it is.. get it tested, simple answer, simple solution. Plus you need to also test out fuse 15, it's wiring harness was known for wearing and causing issues.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oneheadlight
I just replaced the alternator in my civic. It is measuring 14.5volts without load. The ELD (electrical load detector) will vary the voltage depending on the load. I've talked with master honda techs and they've all agreed that the civic runs a slightly higher voltage, normally. Also, if you check the FSM (factory service manual) it will also tell you that under 15v is normal.. 11.5 volts with load is way too low, the battery is not being charged at anything below 12.3-12.5 volts! You're draining your battery instead. so....

You need to get the alternator tested before wasting your time guessing. you could be here all year wondering what it is.. get it tested, simple answer, simple solution. Plus you need to also test out fuse 15, it's wiring harness was known for wearing and causing issues.
ok lets assume the alternator is not performing up to its mark (maybe because my fusebox doesnt have any ELD; it was a carb d15b swapped to efi d15b with wiring harness and ecu. Fusebox is same old one).

Even then, hazards should also be dimming the same way if we make the alternator responsible.

Nevertheless, I will have the alternator checked out.

I will also test voltage on the external lights. They light up fine so I am assuming they are getting enough voltage, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maverickiz3d
Getting around 13+ without load, and around 11.5 to 12v with load (headlights and a/c) on both (fuse 15 and yel wire).
These readings look fine.

With the turn signal turned on, the voltage on Yel wire gradually goes down to under 10v (within 30 seconds); only when the turn signal blinks of course.

With hazards are turned on, just slight change in voltage (drop of around 0.1v to 0.3v).
Where are you measuring voltage for ^these two tests?

Old 09-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
These readings look fine.

Where are you measuring voltage for ^these two tests?
For those tests, measuring at the yellow wire going into the hazard switch.

I also just tested the green/blue wire coming out of the hazard switch (engine off, ignition on), and its giving out around a weird voltage starting from 8.5v to gradually dropping to almost 0v, and then coming increasing back to around 8.5v and gradually dropping again; although no such affect on the lights they still are turning on at same brightness (slight dim for turn signal and full bright for hazards). This is the case with both hazard and turn signals.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maverickiz3d
For those tests, measuring at the yellow wire going into the hazard switch.
Do the same voltage test but on the Wht/Grn wire in the switch with and without the hazard lights on. Do the readings differ from your turn signal test?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Do the same voltage test but on the Wht/Grn wire in the switch with and without the hazard lights on. Do the readings differ from your turn signal test?
12.5v with load of headlights and a/c

When hazards turned on, 11.5v