Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Did a search and found that yellow headlights are illegal in Cali. But the LuminicsBulbs.com people

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did a search and found that yellow headlights are illegal in Cali. But the LuminicsBulbs.com people

This website clearly states that they are illegal: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

But the LuminicsBulbs website says they are legal. When I emailed them about this, here's what they had to say:

Comments: Are the jdm yellow bulbs realy streetlegal? Because in Cali. I'm pretty sure they are not. I'm interested in purchasing some if they are legal. Thanx.

If you live in CA. These lights are legit. All you have to do is go to this Gov. website: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25950.htm

Here's what the Vehicle code states:
"VC 25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:

(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:

(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.

(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow."

Thank You,

Scott Brown
http://WWW.LuminicsBulbs.com
Old 11-16-2005, 10:20 AM

"This pamphlet is intended as a guide only. Contact your nearest CHP office for any questions or interpretations." I'd say contact CHP and ask them. It says that they are illegal under Vehcle Code 24011 but nothing I can find refers to light color. Personally I don't get why you'd want to see any worse with yellow bulbs but whatever....
Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Did a search and found that yellow headlights are illegal in Cali. But the LuminicsBulbs.com peo

yellow headlights

yellow foglights
Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 AM

THIS IS WHY, no oneshould have or want yellow head lights, (very poor visability white or blue work best for best visability) they want the yellow fog lights , yellow fog lights are legal on the front of any car in the state of california with 1 exception , ( they cannot be brighter than your headlights) also they must be adjusted correctly

Modified by onegreedy at 11:52 AM 11/16/2005
Old 11-16-2005, 11:02 AM

imo, yellow fogs are just as stupid. What, is it JDM now or something?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (Dave421)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sockvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yellow headlights

yellow foglights </TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave421 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">imo, yellow fogs are just as stupid. What, is it JDM now or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>
obviously you have never driven in the rain on blacktop, or in snow with "white" bulbs.
the yellow reflects better in adverse conditions. but is downright annoying to others on the road under normal conditions.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

agreed

obviously you have never driven in the rain on blacktop, or in snow with "white" bulbs.
the yellow reflects better in adverse conditions. but is downright annoying to others on the road under normal conditions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually, I often do but don't really have a problem with it. Main reason I don't like them is the color. I kinda find it ugly. Although, something tells me that more people want them for the look than how useful they are in rain/snow. Interesting idea though, thanks for the info.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (onegreedy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onegreedy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THIS IS WHY, no oneshould have or want yellow head lights, (very poor visability white or blue work best for best visability)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really at all. Yellow for fogs, good for adverse conditions
Yellow does much better than white or blue light in adverse conditions, anything closer to red is better because it doesnt refract as badly.

Yellow headlights though, they'll strain your eyes and make other people mad at you
Old 11-16-2005, 08:39 PM

JDM is da shiet yoo...yeahh homes...ya feel me..i feel so proud...ooh wahh..i got yellow headlights...my car is so JDM...JDM is the ****...JDM is better than a Ferrari or Z06..oh yea... JDM 4 LiFE!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: Did a search and found that yellow headlights are illegal in Cali. But the LuminicsBulbs.com peo

Selective yellow headlights used to be compulsory in France, but there wasn't any real scientific data proving that selective yellow headlights were better in inclement weather than normal headlights.

Yellow tends to be subjectively better to most people in inclement weather as there is less perceived "whitewalling" from light being reflected back to the driver by rain/fog/snow droplets. It's the same reason that most people equate whiteness with brightness...that is, they think a whiter light may be brighter than a normal white.

It's my understanding that headlights are legal as long as they meet the lumens output set forth by FMVSS108 and the SAE's definition of a white light (SAE J578).

I'll have to find the email address for Richard Van Iderstine, a top NHSTA official and one of the men responsible for Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard #108. (hence Mr. Van Iderstine's nickname of 'Mr. 108')
Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I can't find Mr. 108's email right now, but people at NHSTA usually have an email address as the first initial of the first name followed by the whole last name. Try emailing "rvaniderstine@nhsta.dot.gov". I do have his FAX number...you can fax your question to

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Safety Performance Standards
Attention: Rich Van Iderstine
Fax: (202) 366-4329

Or contact Michael Cole of the NHSTA.

Michael Cole
Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Washington, DC 20590

mcole@nhtsa.dot.gov

Here's a good site to visit: http://faqlight.carpassion.info/