Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol window issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol window issue

Grr. This is driving me crazy. So I bought a '96 Del Sol S a year and a half ago. The previous owner had high ambition for the car, but lacked the skill. So when I got it, a lot of it was apart or not correct. (the fenders only had 2 bolts each holding them on) Anyway. He had the vertical door kit on it which required the wire harness from the cabin to the door to be extended. When I got the car, the door panel was off, the switch was missing, and the window was stuck half way down.

I took it to an auto electrician, who besides charging $100 an hour, diagnosed it as a bad motor and regulator. So he replaced those. I refused to pay $300 for a switch, so I got a used one from eBay for $20. The window worked for about 6 months. I took it back to the electrician who said I must have gotten a faulty motor. Luckily the one I got had a warranty. But he still charged $100 to install it. It worked for a few months, then it would kind of work but not always. I'm tired of paying the electrician, so I took it to my uncle who is great with electronics. He noticed that the harness connectors that go from the door to the cabin was loose because it was missing one of the tabs that locked it into place. So he pushed it back into place and taped it up, and it worked... for a while.

It stopped working AGAIN. But it was weird. I could control the passenger window from the driver side switch. The master switch worked. I couldn't control the driver side window or the rear window. I looked at the harness again, and it was still in place but the "lengthening" that the previous owner had done was a mess. Wires were out of their pins and one wire wasn't even connected to anything. I got a used harness off of eBay. Installed that with solder.

When I tested it, nothing had changed. Passenger window worked, driver and rear did not. I took the switch apart. The circuit board had gunk on it. I cleaned that off with a rag. While at it, two of the white plastic pieces with the 3 gold prongs that complete the circuit fell out. So I put them back in. I must have gotten them in the wrong place, because now the rear window worked, but the passenger window didn't.

Ah ha! My hypothesis was that some of the gold prongs were not connecting. So I thought, since I don't use the rear window much and can always control the passenger window from the passenger switch, why not move the white plastic thingie that I know works to the driver switch. Well, the rear window stopped working, as expected, but the driver window still doesn't work.

I don't hear the motor click. I do, however, hear a faint clicking sound behind the glove box. Perhaps it's the relay? But wouldn't that affect all windows? The other thing I was thinking was the Power Window Control Unit behind the stereo.

Any ideas? What can I check next? I have literally spent $800 plus so many hours working on this, taking the panel off and on and off and on. I had thought about getting a new door, but I've already replaced just about everything in the door as it is.

Thank you so much. I'm sorry this was so long, but I wanted to give as much information as I could.

Last edited by lordoftheview; 06-08-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol window issue

Bump?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If I were you, I'd be sourcing intact door harnesses.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah. Fun times. Thanks. Could it be the Power Window Control Unit? I checked the Relay, and that works.