Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del sol/eg conversion with pics sloooowwwww process, be patient

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Del sol/eg conversion with pics sloooowwwww process, be patient

Yes I know this topic has been covered many many times because I have been searching it for 2 weeks trying to find my answer. I am talking about an eg front conversion on a del sol. I have a 93 sol that got smashed up pretty bad in the front. I love my del sol dearly so no I dont wanna sell it and buy an eg but I do love the eg fronts. I work for honda and lets face it del sol parts are HIGH AS $#!TT. I have been given a salvaged eg hatch by one of techs that work for me so free is free to me. My question is not how to do the conversion but it is directed about the hood and hinges only. My car is currently in our dealerships body shop and we are trying to figure out the best way to mount the hood. The previous del sol hinges that mounts to the car has an offset bolt pattern and the holes are father apart than the hinges off a civic. If anyone has done this conversion can you advise me on the hinges ONLY. I really dont want this thread to become an argument I just need advise on this minor issue. Thanks

Last edited by ccarey; 02-27-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Del sol/eg conversion help

drill some new holes
Old 02-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well we thought about that but because the holes in the car have the threaded bushings in that one spot , if you drill new holes you would be drilling just through sheet metal so the bolts would not have any thread to hold them
Old 02-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nobody has done this conversion?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an idea, but what about using the hinges off the EG hatch? Would that possibly work? I was actually thinking it would be cool to put a Del Sol front on a hatch, just to be different.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well those were the hinges we were using and they sit up higher then the del sol hinges so where the hood and the cowl meet the hood is up to high.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have the hinges infront of me so I'm only throwing thins out there but can you take the hinges apart and use the part of the hinge that attaches to the del from the del and the eg from the eg? maybe a cut and weld deal?

or maybey you need to swap the cowl? if you use lower hinges fro the hood would the hood still line up with the fenders
Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ol Dusty
I don't have the hinges infront of me so I'm only throwing thins out there but can you take the hinges apart and use the part of the hinge that attaches to the del from the del and the eg from the eg? maybe a cut and weld deal?

or maybey you need to swap the cowl? if you use lower hinges fro the hood would the hood still line up with the fenders
yeah you can do that and thats what we may end up doing. There is a slight problem with that as well. the upper half of the del sol hinge is longer that the upper half of an eg hinge so even if you use the base of the del sol hinge and connect the eg hinge to it, that shorter half bring the hood up way to far over the cowl, almost to the windshield.

This has been the most frustrating part so far. Everyone talks about how the swap is so easy accept for the fenders, but so far the hood hinges have been the most difficult part and NOBODY that has done the swap will answer any questions
Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

been a member @ teamsolcal.com some guy did it try to check it out....
Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well I certainly appreciate all of the help, this is the most response I have gotten on this topic. I will be posting pictures soon of how everything is going so please stay in touch. All of the techs here at Honda have gotten involved in this project so I hope it turns out great.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep us updated on the build. Im also curious how this is going to look when finished...
Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I sure will. I will try to post some pictures either tomorrow night or saturday. we will be busy working on the measurements thursday and friday. but in the mean time if anyone see's an answer to my question by all means let me know. I am trying to do this right so maybe I am being to picky about this hood but I would much rather it look great and prove to people with patience and planning a conversion can look great.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok and the build has begun let me tell you where we are so far and what all you will need to do. I will post pictures as I go.
Things you will need:
1. civic hood
2. civic fenders
3. civic bumper
4. civic core support
5. civic hood latch ( del sol is too short since it is reversed from a civic )
6. civic headlights
7. del sol fenders ( I will be using the back half from the middle back, some use the back half just past the back side of the wheel well but that takes more welding and you run the risk of a warped fender easier I have found)
8. del sol hood hinges ( these will have to be modified and I will show you how as I go)
9. Welder ( obviously)
10. PATIENTS PATIENTS PATIENTS. THIS IS NOT JUST A BOLT ON PROJECT I PROMISE YOU.
10. A flat screwdriver with long handle and a cut off wheel
11. grinder
12. bumper bar off a civic if you want one, the del sol wont work.

Ok here we go.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol/eg conversion step by step with pics

bump for viewing
Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is where we have gotten so far. We removed the hood, fenders, headlights, motor and everything else we needed to to get ready for removing the core support
Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep in mind you do not have to remove as much as we did meaning the motor and all but this car is also being prepped for a swap and engine bay paint so it was better for us to do it this way
Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol/eg conversion with pics

bump for an eg conversion build done right
Old 02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't mean to be a jerk or disrespectful, but why are you bumping the thread without posting up progress info or pictures? A parts list for any conversion (del sol with civic front end, civic with del sol front end, civic with integra front end, del sol with integra front end, etc), has been pretty much documented already, and there are plenty of pics around of what a Del Sol or Civic look like without the front body panels. I mean a lot of people (including myself) would be interested in seeing a well documented build. Right now there isn't a whole lot of info or pics in here to draw people's attention. Believe me, when you get more stuff in this thread, you won't even need to bump it other than to post more stuff, because people will be drawn in to see the progress.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well this started off being a question thread rather than a build thread. it just turned over to a build thread last night but working on the car and posting pictures cannot be done at the same time so there for the car is coming before all of the pictures. I do realize there are not alot of pictures but they will come soon. I have searched just about every thread from civicclub.com, teamsolcal.com honda-tech.com you name it I have searched it and every write up seems to be just some questions and answers from people who think they know what is envolved but no step by step pictures and detailed lists, there for I will probably delete this thread and start over with it next week anyway. To anyone is their own so view and comment if you please. No offense is taken
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok as you can see the hinges are no longer in stock form. The outside edge has to be cut out. We used a side grinder and then polished them down. There ready for the holes to be redrilled but we are not ready for that step yet.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol/eg conversion with pics sloooowwwww process, be patient

Looks good so far. i went through a similar proess but had to redo all the front end metals cross member, rad support and so on. So if u have questions shoot me a pm
Old 02-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tallhamer88
Looks good so far. i went through a similar proess but had to redo all the front end metals cross member, rad support and so on. So if u have questions shoot me a pm
appreciate that very much, why did you have to redo all the front end metals cross member and rad support. Just curious because your problems may keep us from making a mistake
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the car was involved in a accident due to my brake master cyclinder went so i really had a issue making a stop when a car pulled out in front of me.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got cha. Yeah this car was in a front end collision pretty bad at one point and was repaired but not very good. The passenger front apron is wrinkled a little so we are in the process of making sure there was no frame damage before we start. we measured it off by hand and it doesn't appear to be but I would rather make sure

Quick Reply: Del sol/eg conversion with pics sloooowwwww process, be patient