Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EJ6 Streetlegal Racecar - suspension and engine swap questions

Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ6 Streetlegal Racecar - suspension and engine swap questions

Hello there,
after searching, buying/selling several cars i finally found a POS that i want to build(Thanks for the advices of which car i should get).
Its a abused Civic EJ6 which... was abused.

I suppose the pictures are telling more than 1000 words.

ITR Wing and SRS exhaust system

I would ve prefered the car without the wing

doesnt even look that bad...

Rusty Roof

DIY Painted

Losing coolant liquid, that sponge(oem?) is soaking wet

And the whole roof is full with that liquid

Check out the pink mugen oil cap O.O

Aftermarket remote power door locks... i would throw it away because of the mess, but the doors are damaged, so they can only be opened by remote

I already threw out all of the speakers and **** that girl had installed in the car

That shifter **** was pink. Every second bolt of the car breaks if you try to losen it

Somethings missing and everything beneath has been messed up

Pink rims anyone? It was coated with a cheap version of Plasti Dip... that **** doesnt go off.

Probably got rearended. Got to reform that Bumper somehow... rattling all day long

Looks dirty. Got to get rid of these mats.

Since im pretty much out of money at the time i just have plans what i will be doing to the car.
-Other Rims(Borbet A maybe?)
-Lower and stiffer ride
-GT Wing instead of ITR
-Complete Facelift conversion
-Red paint
-Removing remote lock
-Roll cage
-Bucket Seat
-Functional Dash(Black maybe?)
And much more...

Questions i still have:

-What suspension should i get? I want to get it as stiff as possible, but here in germany i still need to get through MOT, so it should be streetable. I dont really care if its Coilover or just Springs and Shocks, if the setup is good. Price matters.

-I want to spend 2500$ on the engine. Its actually a D16Y7 and the exhaust system is pretty good already.
If i want to go Turbo i need to invest 1800 into dynoruns and MOT.
A B16 swap costs about 2000 here in germany.
What do you guys thing?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Streetlegal Racecar

I wouldnt invest much in the y7 in my opinion. Not that great of a motor.
The exhaust looks like a cheap $100 catback on ebay. Can you explain what makes you think its good?

As far as suspension goes....read this https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/click-here-all-you-curious-about-suspension-setups-their-costs-reliability-2967499/

Good luck bringing this poor car back to life
Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
I wouldnt invest much in the y7 in my opinion. Not that great of a motor.
The exhaust looks like a cheap $100 catback on ebay. Can you explain what makes you think its good?

As far as suspension goes....read this https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2967499

Good luck bringing this poor car back to life
The fact that it has pretty much no sound dampening.
It would be actually illegal, but the previous owner used a few backdoors to get it legal.. including the silencer.
But once the silencer out the car has the dirtiest D-Engine sound ive ever heard.
It even sounds like it has VTEC, although it doesnt... is that good or bad?

Well, someone told me if id invest 400$ into an ebay turbo kit and 1800 into tuning and legalizing, id have 220hp.
I also have a complete D16Z6 laying around... in parts... i could do a head swap or something like that.
Thanks for the link... im going to do my best.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it sounds like it has vtec...in your opinion, doesnt make it good or bad. Really doesnt matter. It doesnt have it....

I would head over to the forced induction forum and do a little reading. It would be a mistake to get a ebay turbo kit. They are a hit or miss. Some get them to last, some dont. The turbo, wastegate, and bov in those kits suck and are not reliable. I would peice together my own kit if I were on a budget. There is alot to learn over the in the faq's.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put a big motor in it man... b20/h22/k20/k24

y7 sucks ***...i have 2 cars with them and both are being swapped.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it sounds like it has vtec...in your opinion, doesnt make it good or bad. Really doesnt matter. It doesnt have it....

I would head over to the forced induction forum and do a little reading. It would be a mistake to get a ebay turbo kit. They are a hit or miss. Some get them to last, some dont. The turbo, wastegate, and bov in those kits suck and are not reliable. I would peice together my own kit if I were on a budget. There is alot to learn over the in the faq's.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ag2grp&s=5
Well, i thought maybe there are some issues with the airflow in the exhaust that cause that sound... but if its just a sound and nothing else, then i like it.

Then i will evade the turbo kit, thanks for the advice.
But should i keep the Y7 stock and turbo it, or do a Z6 headswap and then turbo it? Is there any noticeable difference in any terms?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a single cam as well. I thought about building it and working on it and boosting it etc...Found that its not worth it. I ended up having the same problem you do with the coolant spewing out of the cap and soaking and spraying everything (if the cap is not defective...then the head gasket has an exhaust leak into the cooling system). Point is...if you really want to build it...be patient. It took me over a year to find a good deal on a B-swap. But i got it and now im happy as hell. I didnt do any major mods yet...But the difference is night and day. Y7's arent that great in my opinion (No v-tec) but also single cam lol. I had a y8 in mine and it did the job, but I got bored.

All in all...be patient and keep searching/buying/selling and the right deals will come slowly but surely. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
put a big motor in it man... b20/h22/k20/k24

y7 sucks ***...i have 2 cars with them and both are being swapped.
A B20 Frankenstein would be interesting, but i ve never build an engine, so it would be risky...
Like i said, i only have a budget of 2500$ and if something goes wrong, then im stuck with a stock Y7. H22 is IMO too heavy for a Track car and the K20 is too expensive because of custom mounts and axles etc.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is the h22 too heavy? Is that something some naive person told you and you believed it? Read....https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/settle-h22-vs-b-series-weight-arguement-i-bring-you-pics-684550/
Old 07-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is the h22 too heavy? Is that something some naive person told you and you believed it? Read....https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684550
Thanks, you are really helping me with my plans.
Also thanks to mikeneamtu for his reply.

I need to do some research about how much a H22 swap would cost me, then i will tell you if its an option.
I always thought it was like 100kg of difference, but its 15kg instead.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Waiting for a tech question.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Waiting for a tech question.
Is there a better place in this forum for this thread? I dont really have a technical issue, but want to hear opinions and share my progress of the car.
And i really prefer the HT-Community.

B2T:
K20/H22Swaps arent affordable for me. K20 would cost ~5000$ and H22 ~3000$ because of the axles and mounts and everything else i would need to buy.
So im doing a little bit of research on B-Series N/A builds and D-Series Turbo builds. I suppose 250-300whp with a responsive setup would be realistic with my budget.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Build the z6 with listings and rods and up b good for 400hp. Get a decent turbo, manifold, and Watergate, I'd cheap out on the rest of the kit. Then 1200 n electronics and up b good
Old 07-13-2013, 12:10 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Erdinc Akay
I dont really have a technical issue, but want to hear opinions
What progress? This is an opinion poll. You want to just shoot the breeze there are other places to do it.

And you might want to look at some real build threads since it's all been done before. There is nothing new that you're suggesting that you can't already read about.
#pipedream.com
Old 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

get rid of those seat belts before you kill yourself.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EJ6 Streetlegal Racecar - suspension and engine swap questions

You seem to be a non-American.

Why are you asking an American forum for advice* on what is street legal in your country?

*no such word as "advices"
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 PM
The Grumpiest

^^^Damn good point!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why should i get rid of the seatbelts?
I actually had to remove the driver-seatbelt, because one bolt was broken, so I installed those seatbelts.

Sorry for the typo.
Im not asking for whats streetlegal, but for the engine choice, or suspension. I already got a few words of advice, so i achieved 50% of what i wanted.

PS: Isnt Honda Tech international?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should trash those seat belts because I GUARANTEE you aren't wearing them properly, nor do you have the proper seats for them, nor do you have them installed correctly, nor do you have the other proper hardware to properly use them. If you're in a front end collision, those seat belts will snap your collar bones. Do you know how long and painful recovery for snapped collar bones is? I do. If you roll, your skull and neck will be crushed.

Safety equipment is an "all or nothing" kind of deal. Either you have full OEM, or full race. You don't get to pick some from column A and some from column B.

If all you want to know is what engine and suspension to use, check the FAQ's sticky. Both of your questions are answered in extreme depth there. Short answers: The biggest engine you can afford to put in, with as much air as you can afford to force feed into it, and whatever suspension has a good, reliable warranty, from a good, reputable company.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
You should trash those seat belts because I GUARANTEE you aren't wearing them properly, nor do you have the proper seats for them, nor do you have them installed correctly, nor do you have the other proper hardware to properly use them. If you're in a front end collision, those seat belts will snap your collar bones. Do you know how long and painful recovery for snapped collar bones is? I do. If you roll, your skull and neck will be crushed.

Safety equipment is an "all or nothing" kind of deal. Either you have full OEM, or full race. You don't get to pick some from column A and some from column B.

If all you want to know is what engine and suspension to use, check the FAQ's sticky. Both of your questions are answered in extreme depth there. Short answers: The biggest engine you can afford to put in, with as much air as you can afford to force feed into it, and whatever suspension has a good, reliable warranty, from a good, reputable company.
I see. I'm going to buy myself some sparco-speed2 seats, but like stated im pretty much out of money at the very time.
Now, that you say it... while wearing them with those oem seats there is a bit of tension already pushing against my collar bone, indeed.
Thanks for the warning, you maybe saved my collar bone...