Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dashboard Vin Replacement CHP Blue Tag Process?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard Vin Replacement CHP Blue Tag Process?

Before anyone criticizes this: i did search vin numbers and found nothing about the process.

So when i bought my car the dash board was changed for whatever reason and the guy just simply reglued the old vin tag back on. Now see i've had the car for over 2 years now and never had a problem with this and didn't think i would have a problem but the other day when i ran into trouble with the campus police when my car was PARKED!!! WTF! anyways so checked my chassis stamp and my door tag sticker and said that everything looked okay, but they said i had to go to the CHP and get a replacement blue tag. Im a full time student and this is just rediculous. i dont even have enough time to study as it is...

now from research, i read about going to home depot and riveting my tag back on cuase it was actually swapped and reglued pretty neatly but im just worried that the same cop might come back so i thought i should get some more information first on the "legal" way of doing things. *sigh*** paperwork

so i was just wondering if anyones gone through the blue tag process before that could answer some of my endless amount of questions...

Modified by wlee112 at 7:17 PM 10/1/2008
Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dashboard Vin Replacement CHP Blue Tag Process? (BrakeDanceJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrakeDanceJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My advice: shove papers or put stickers in the windshield over your VIN.

I have some blocking mine to prevent people from cutting keys to my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i actually have my dash swapped out too. i got the correct vin plate in my ashtray, and whenever a mechanic/body shop worker or whoever needs to look at it, i just tell them to take the one from the door or the firewall.

i just leave the old plate there. I just say to people the dash was changed, and i've never had a problem with it. but in your case i would say just cover it up...
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dashboard Vin Replacement CHP Blue Tag Process? (boosh)

yea i put my 2008 election handbook on my dash for now but im just wondering if that cop will ever roll by and check up on me again. i mean this fool was bored enough to be driving around a campus parking look doing this, and he was trying to break into my car.. COMMON!!

Modified by wlee112 at 7:03 PM 10/2/2008
Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrakeDanceJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My advice: shove papers or put stickers in the windshield over your VIN.

I have some blocking mine to prevent people from cutting keys to my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just found out that if you block your vin number its actually grounds for cops to tow your car... i dont know how often / if they even do that.. but yea... *sigh*... i think i might just do it the easy way and pull the dash out and go to home depot and re-rivet it back in.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was told before, that its smart to block VINs so thieves cant steal your car. I had business cards shoved in there, until I was leaving a mall 1 day and there was a tow truck, security officer and a cop right next to my car ready to take it away. You rather just get it done properly, then to have your ride towed. Then to realize you have an insane towing fee...
Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Dashboard Vin Replacement CHP Blue Tag Process?

By California law you cannot re-attach your own VIN plate with non factory rivets. The legal process is to take your car to a CHP Office for inspection by a VIN officer who will do a complete inspection of your car and then if all is well, will attach a Blue Tag to the door post of the car. That blue tag then becomes the "Official" VIN for the car. Unfortunately, many street cops don't even know that this is the right way to have it done!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after you re-attach your vin, Call your local PD office and let them know your car needs to be blue tagged for that reason. They will set up an appt for you and do the said inspection. Make sure all the rest of the VINs match on all the parts.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

old topic. but since ur car is now blue tagged. can you go RHD w.o any problems now?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wlee112

i just found out that if you block your vin number its actually grounds for cops to tow your car... i dont know how often / if they even do that.. but yea... *sigh*... i think i might just do it the easy way and pull the dash out and go to home depot and re-rivet it back in.
ah it most likely one of those things they say to scare people, i have my vin coverd multiple times when i was pulled over and they have only said something 1 time, and i simply said its to keep theifs form seeing it, and the cop said i totaly understand.

but ****, its almost better they tow it then a theif tows it.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i riveted my own vin back on and honestly cant tell difference in the rivets from the original its not like the engine block that has special rivets holding it on
Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info, My car already had blue tags on it when i bought it but i just got a new dash and it still has the owners vin plate but i haven't put it on yet. Should i just take the old vin plate off install it and bring it in? I just dont want to be accused of buying/stealing a dash haha
Old 12-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sii.
old topic. but since ur car is now blue tagged. can you go RHD w.o any problems now?
x2
Old 12-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it actually means that you have to take it to the chp office. set an appointment date. and they will replace your dash vin by putting a new one on the door jamb. that means no more vin on dash. it was free when i did it. not a penny!!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

old thread but oh well

Im in process of changing my dash to a black dash and just do what everyone else does. swap the vins.

would i be fine doing it? or do i "must" and have to go to the chp?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any cost of going to the chp and getting blue tagged?
Old 09-13-2021, 10:28 PM
Trial User

did you figure anything out after this? It’s been a few years since you went through the process. I’m now looking into this because I myself am going through this process. >_<

Originally Posted by wlee112
Before anyone criticizes this: i did search vin numbers and found nothing about the process.

So when i bought my car the dash board was changed for whatever reason and the guy just simply reglued the old vin tag back on. Now see i've had the car for over 2 years now and never had a problem with this and didn't think i would have a problem but the other day when i ran into trouble with the campus police when my car was PARKED!!! WTF! anyways so checked my chassis stamp and my door tag sticker and said that everything looked okay, but they said i had to go to the CHP and get a replacement blue tag. Im a full time student and this is just rediculous. i dont even have enough time to study as it is...

now from research, i read about going to home depot and riveting my tag back on cuase it was actually swapped and reglued pretty neatly but im just worried that the same cop might come back so i thought i should get some more information first on the "legal" way of doing things. *sigh*** paperwork

so i was just wondering if anyones gone through the blue tag process before that could answer some of my endless amount of questions...

Modified by wlee112 at 7:17 PM 10/1/2008