Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16z6 Timing issues

Old 06-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16z6 Timing issues

Just checked out my timing and it seemed to be off. Cranked the pulley to the TDC mark and pulled out cylinder number 1 plug and it wasnt even at TDC. Cranked the pulley until Cylinder 1 was at TDC and none of the pulley marks line up. Car starts up fine and drives good. It's got lower compression pistons but I wouldnt see why it's like this. When TDC marks line up on the pulley, seems like cylinder 2-3 is at TDC instead. Any ideas on why it's like this?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: d16z6 Timing issues (dturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just checked out my timing and it seemed to be off. Cranked the pulley to the TDC mark and pulled out cylinder number 1 plug and it wasnt even at TDC. Cranked the pulley until Cylinder 1 was at TDC and none of the pulley marks line up. Car starts up fine and drives good. It's got lower compression pistons but I wouldnt see why it's like this. When TDC marks line up on the pulley, seems like cylinder 2-3 is at TDC instead. Any ideas on why it's like this? </TD></TR></TABLE>

So what you're saying is: "I can tell my timing is off because the lines aren't lining up...Any idea why?"

Is it possible the timing lines aren't lining up because the timing isn't set right? I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16z6 Timing issues (Syndacate)

I took a timing light to check for timing. Timing marks did not line up.

I then turned the crank pulley manually to align the pulley TDC marks with the arrow. When aligned it seems like 2-3 cylinder is at TDC rather then cylinder 1.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Weird, I would say to set it back to the timing marks, but if you checked it out right w/ a timing light then I'd trust that more.

Are you sure you put the gear on right?

EDIT:
Not that there's multiple ways to put it on or nething

Only thing I can suggest is timing it up in accordance with the timing marks and see what happens, though that might be pulling a bit of a gamble with ur valves, but if everything's installed properly it should work fine...
Old 06-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there's not many ways to put it on. I swear it was put on right. I figure I'd ask around since I cant get the damn pulley bolt off to check. I would set it back to the timing marks but if I do that cylinder 1 isnt at TDC so I figure it wouldnt run so great.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's not many ways to put it on. I swear it was put on right. I figure I'd ask around since I cant get the damn pulley bolt off to check. I would set it back to the timing marks but if I do that cylinder 1 isnt at TDC so I figure it wouldnt run so great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And you'd rape your valves if it was a 90º offset like you suggest.

Bump for you man, I'm **** out of ideas, definitely bump for you.

The only thing I can think of is you assembled something (either cam gear or crank gear) 90º in the wrong direction.

Because you're saying it's lined up when cylinder 2 is up which would suggest a 90º offset either way depending on which one you turned. Though i really have no idea how it would run with a 90º offset (it wouldn't run, it would rape your valves then stall out), so assuming that one of the gears was just puton wrong (I don't know how you pulled that one off) just time it by the timing light, or so that the head alignment lines are up and down (LOL!).

Personally, I'd pull the whole motor out and start taking it apart, something is definitely off someplace.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found the problem. timing must of not been off too much. crank pulley key was ground down to almost nothing so the crank pulley had room to turn. i have no idea on how that happened.