Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16 del sol - turbo setup question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16 del sol - turbo setup question

hey,

my buddy has a d16 swapped del sol that he's looking to turbo. I'm trying to help him source parts to make a kit, but I know nearly nothing about the D motor since I'm fairly new to Hondas, and my only experience falls with the K.

I recently met a guy with a d16 civic that he had turbo'd, and when I inquired about it, he said he just used the manifold, turbo and intercooler off of a mitsubishi eclipse. Seems strange to me that a turbo mani from a different car like an eclipse would even fit, let alone all the piping to line up as well (to be fair, most of it was ziptied to his car and not very well put together...). I'm just wondering, was this guy actually correct in that you can use the manifold, turbo and intercooler from an eclipse?

I've been googling this regligous with no results, so I'm inclined to think he was wrong. Right now we're just trying to put together a kit that is fairly solid without spending $2000 or whatnot on it. Thanks for any info
Old 05-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16 del sol - turbo setup question

Look around on the marketplace here. I actually got almost my whole turbo kit put together with used parts from members here. I'm not sure exactly what your buddy did with the mitsu parts, but I know a 4g63 mani will not fit up to a d16. I'm using a mitsu turbo, but my manifold is just a stainless steel mani for the d16 and I welded the appropriate flange on the bottom. Otherwise rcautoworks or goautoworks make excellent manifolds.

As far as the intercooler...I know dsm's have stock sidemount intercoolers, and I would strongly suggest getting a front mount. I got mine for like $60 on the marketplace here, and you can either find intercooler piping that someone else has already cut to fit your setup, or you can just get a universal piping kit and cut it yourself, it's not that hard to do.

SO. Not sure about what your friend did with the mitsu manifold, but a mitsubishi turbo is a good start. The 14b or t25 are both good starting turbo's and you can get them for fairly cheap. Once you get to the 16g and bigger, those are for making serious power, but they're definitely good upgrades. And buy a front mount intercooler. It'll be better than the sidemount. If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me, I spent about 3 months looking around for my parts, so I've got a good idea of what it takes to turbo a d16 for cheap but with pretty good quality parts. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:58 AM
Trial User

i actually have the d series apexi kit which runs the t25 flange same turbo setup as most dsm but utalizes a ihi vf series turbo
Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

only thing id use from an eclispe is the turbo; the rest of it is junk. i walk dsms all day in my turbo d. as he stated get a front mount intercooler they are much better, you can get a adapter plate to use the 14b turbo using a hf civic manifold not a eclipse. buy a intercooler piping kit and fit it the way you need to. you can run dsm injectors just remember you need a resisstor box and a chipped ecu i would highly recomend NOT using a FMU unit.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, thanks for the info fellas. I figured it was too good to be true. Looks like no turbo for him as he has no idea how to piece together a kit, and I have no time to figure out what I'd need for his car. would've been nice if it had worked out like that though!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your friend should be doing some research himself. You are a good buddy for coming here on your own time and asking for him.

He may be taken back by everything at first, but just re-assure him it is not that bad/complicated. He just needs to research, read, read, read, and oh yeah... read some more on the topic.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Your friend should be doing some research himself. You are a good buddy for coming here on your own time and asking for him.

He may be taken back by everything at first, but just re-assure him it is not that bad/complicated. He just needs to research, read, read, read, and oh yeah... read some more on the topic.
I know he should be, but he has no idea what to look for, or where to even begin. That's why he came to me for advice, but sadly I'm barely less of a noob than he is at this.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fohdohfasho
I know he should be, but he has no idea what to look for, or where to even begin. That's why he came to me for advice, but sadly I'm barely less of a noob than he is at this.
You should tell him that google.com is a powerful tool.... if you use it. haha