Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15b7 headgasket issue??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15b7 headgasket issue??

Hey guys

Doing a head gasket job on my d15b7 in a 93 eh2 I'm beginner-novice when it comes to mechanicing, Just have a few questions for those more experienced than me.

So my car run fines and every the only thing wrong is I loose coolant very quickly and it makes a weird revving noise when switching into third gear around the 40MPH mark on the cluster anyways the issue I've had was my temputer gauge went up too red a few times and I checked and it had little coolant left so I refill it every two days of driving moderately the whole day. So is it a headgasket issue I had no problems with overheating and it shutting off nothing like that it's just everytime I see it get up to the red I pull over right then and there shut it off and let it cool down to check the coolant and add more so

I have the new headgasket and sealing thing so do I just pull the head off and then replace it and add the sealer stuff and im okay? Or is it too late will I have to get my block resurfaced before putting the headgasket on. This problem started happing 6 days ago almost a week
Old 02-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: D15b7 headgasket issue??

Fill up the radiator and start the engine cold with the radiator cap off and rev it. If a lot of bubbles and coolant come out of the radiator, the gasket is bad.

You likely do not need to resurface anything, if there are no obvious warps (check with straight edge) or corrosion / burn tracks just new gasket. The cost in time and money of resurfacing is higher than possibly replacing the gasket twice.

Do not use "stop leak" sealant with a new gasket. For that matter, do not use it ever.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by mk378
if there are no obvious warps (check with straight edge)
Overheated to the point of hitting the red line multiple times.

Originally Posted by TetsukiMiz
was my temputer gauge went up too red a few times
Chances are pretty decent the head is warped enough to be problematic.

When you pull the head and check it with a precision straight edge, you will likely find you have to send the head in to be planed flat. With this they usually require hot tanking the head so also expect to have to replace the valve seals. You can have the machine shop do it if you don't feel comfortable with it.

You will also need to replace the two metal dowels in the head as they will have to be removed to be planed. Many people reuse them if they are pulled out properly but Honda has them as a replace/disposable item.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much will it cost to do that? I bought the car for 520$ and I barely was able to afford the headgasket I'm trying to find the cheapest possible fix I can find even if it's just a temporary fix I'm just trying to drive it to work and all that until I can sell it if I can't fix it and get something else and the line went to he red like four times to be exact will that still need a resurface if it got that hot for times? I really can't afford that
Old 02-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by TetsukiMiz
How much will it cost to do that? I bought the car for 520$ and I barely was able to afford the headgasket I'm trying to find the cheapest possible fix I can find
Follow what mk378 posted.

If you have to pull the head, then use a decent straight edge to see if the head is warped. It's not as precise as a precision straight edge (mechanics straight edge) but you should be able to get an idea if it's bad or not.

If it's not noticably warped like mk378 mentioned, then replace the headgasket and call it a day for now.

I suspect you bought the regular composite graphite head gasket which will be a shorter term fix than the leak gasket made for the D15B7.

Just replacing the head gasket is your cheapest option available. But it may very likely be a temporary fix. But should fit your bill as your described.

I would follow the torque instructions in the TSB posted below:

Name:  97-047TSB.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  279.0 KB