Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

From CRX to Civic Coupe....Suspension knick knacks and clunks

Old 09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From CRX to Civic Coupe....Suspension knick knacks and clunks

Hey what's up guys? I just got a used 1995 Civic Coupe. Its a bit bigger then my old CRX from last year.

Anywho I have a question reguarding suspension. The car came with neuspeed springs with a good drop (finger gap between top of rubber and fender) w/ some tokico blues. However, everytime I turn the wheel to go up the curb or go over a bump, the car makes a clunking noise as if something is grinding or its rolling oblong. The noise can be described as a kind of clunk that just I can hear when rolling around in the parking lot. You can be standing next to the car and hear it rattling at lower Rpm's. However at higher RPM's it seems to disappear but the fact is that there is something wrong with the suspension.

Also, the chassis has about 166,xxx miles on it with the stock bushings. I figured if I replace the ball joints on the upper arms and get some new trailer arm bushines and tie rod ends it might disappear.

The tires on the car are 205/45/16 w/ Rota C-8's.

Let me know guys! TIA!

Jon

Old 09-07-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re: From CRX to Civic Coupe....Suspension knick knacks and clunks (CRX-Fluffy)

Well im not sure why it would be making that noise at idle, but i know if its a bangin/popping sound when u turn its most likely a bad ball joint. The noise is only on one side right?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:14 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From CRX to Civic Coupe....Suspension knick knacks and clunks (XLR8 GS-R)

check to make sure everything is bolted down tight...
Old 09-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hrm...

From the way you're describing it I've come to the conclusion that this is a weird problem or you suck at describing noises.

A video of the car making the noise would be nice...
Old 09-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From CRX to Civic Coupe....Suspension knick knacks and clunks (POE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hrm...

From the way you're describing it I've come to the conclusion that this is a weird problem or you suck at describing noises.

A video of the car making the noise would be nice...</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL

Im assuming its a ball joint and it is on one side. It does it when rolling in very low rpms. I am way too lazy to make a video of it though seeing that I cant drive and do it at the same time.

Everytime I roll up the driveway it clunksonly on the left hand side and those are the original ball joints on the car (166,xxx) miles.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From CRX to Civic Coupe....Suspension knick knacks and clunks (CRX-Fluffy)

hmm new note...

My driver's side is droopy. When the headlights are turned on at night it seems to slouch on the driver's side.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:51 PM

maybe you just need a re-alignment haha... Dude fix the ball joint already. Jack up the car and Check the drivers side strut for oil on the case
Old 09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From CRX to Civic Coupe....Suspension knick knacks and clunks (XLR8 GS-R)

Hmm its already been realigned. Seems the ball joints need to be replaced. However, man when I turn I hear a knocking like when moving left and right.

Ahhh this is annoying. And it rattles only when in gear and revving up. It does not rattle when out of gear and revving up.

Jon
Old 09-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX-Fluffy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm its already been realigned. Seems the ball joints need to be replaced. However, man when I turn I hear a knocking like when moving left and right.

Ahhh this is annoying. And it rattles only when in gear and revving up. It does not rattle when out of gear and revving up.

Jon</TD></TR></TABLE>

What about moving at like 1000 RPM's in 4th gear? (you said slow at low RPM's, what about quicker at low RPM's?)
Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From CRX to Civic Coupe....Suspension knick knacks and clunks (Syndacate)

It rattles either way. At 1000 rpm it still makes this annoying rattle noise. I think its coming either down to the steering parts or either to the axles.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Blah, I was thinking it sounds like something in the running gear. I'm thinking like a tie rod end or a wheel bearing ("rolling noise" as you described it), or a broken axle boot (something to that effect). Lemme PM Archidictus..he's a god when it comes to suspension and running gear.

EDIT:
Oh, I thought u said you changed the ball joint, but you said you were thinking about changing. In that case - I don't think that's it, but add it to my "possibilities" list.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

Now you're describing this noise as both a "clunk" and a "grinding". Is it one or the other or is it both? You also say there's something rattling around at low RPM. Does it sound like a thin piece of metal or two thick pieces rattling against each other? Are you sure the rattling has something to do with the clunking or grinding?

I had a friend earlier this week whose car would make a horrible clunk/grind whenever he hit the brakes or did anything that compressed the suspension. After replacing the upper A-arms (the balljoints were bad and he needed a camber kit) the problem persisted so we continued looking. Turns out the front LCA bushing was utterly destroyed on the passenger side of the car and the rubber isolator part was almost completely gone. Under braking and elevation change, the two metal parts were grinding on each other and clunking around.

That would be a good place to start. If you can give us a better description, it would help narrow down the possibilities immensely.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

A video would OWN, or a sound clip.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol im checking it out when I have time. Just wanted to know some input from different people on the board.

Oh yeah plus it only does it going in first gear, reverse gear doesnt make a sound.