Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crankshaft pulley at tdc?

Old 11-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft pulley at tdc?

when doing the timing belt do i have to set the crankshaft pulley at tdc too? if so how do i do that? the haynes says mark by white paint but i dno't see any my car is 14 years old lol.

d
Old 11-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft pulley at tdc? (dfabulous)

you can just that the pulley off anyway, no matter where it's at. There is still a notch in the crank gear/arrow on the block to set tdc. Just reinstall the crank pulley bolt to turn the crank.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley at tdc? (dfabulous)

yeah u'll be fine
Old 11-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i have to take everything back off and rotate the crank pulley till the lil notches on the crank pulley line up and then re-install everything?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (dfabulous)

no, just reinstall the bolt. i'm assuming your doing the timing belt. tear everything down to where all you have left is the timning belt. reinstall the crank bolt so you can turn the crank over (crank pulley bolt). Align tdc and remove the timing belt.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i am doing the timing belt i never noticed the crankshaft tdc though, so i put the new belt on and have everything almost hooked back up. so i gotta tear it all down and remove the belt rotate the crank to line up the tdc marks and then re-install the belt, adjust the tension and then reinstall everything else make sure the cam pulley is at tdc and i should be good right>?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dfabulous)

so this is correct right?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley at tdc? (95dxsir2)

I have a similar problem- are the 3 little lines on the crankshaft pulley what I line up with the arrow and the notch? The picture in the manual doesn't make it look like that.

I also read (elsewhere in this forum) about a trick where you take the sparkplugs out and put a wrench on the crankshaft and turn it and turn it, feeling for valves hitting pistons. No sparkplugs means no compression, so it should turn fairly easily. I can't see any harm in trying this.

I put on a new cylinder head (old one had a broken #3 exhaust valve) and I wonder if the previous owner put the timing belt on wrong when he replaced it, not long before i bought it. I was very careful to mark everything when I changed heads, to get the timing on the new one just exactly like the old one, and it didn't look right. Thus, my question about the marks on the crankshaft pulley. What exactly does TDC look like down there?

Thanks, Joe

Old 12-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley at tdc? (joetho)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joetho &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a similar problem- are the 3 little lines on the crankshaft pulley what I line up with the arrow and the notch? The picture in the manual doesn't make it look like that.

I also read (elsewhere in this forum) about a trick where you take the sparkplugs out and put a wrench on the crankshaft and turn it and turn it, feeling for valves hitting pistons. No sparkplugs means no compression, so it should turn fairly easily. I can't see any harm in trying this.

I put on a new cylinder head (old one had a broken #3 exhaust valve) and I wonder if the previous owner put the timing belt on wrong when he replaced it, not long before i bought it. I was very careful to mark everything when I changed heads, to get the timing on the new one just exactly like the old one, and it didn't look right. Thus, my question about the marks on the crankshaft pulley. What exactly does TDC look like down there?

Thanks, Joe

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just so you know, it is bad news if your valves EVER hit the piston. This is how your valves get bent.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joetho &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I put on a new cylinder head (old one had a broken #3 exhaust valve) and I wonder if the previous owner put the timing belt on wrong when he replaced it, not long before i bought it. I was very careful to mark everything when I changed heads, to get the timing on the new one just exactly like the old one, and it didn't look right. Thus, my question about the marks on the crankshaft pulley. What exactly does TDC look like down there? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If the timing is off on one cylinder then it's off on all cylinders. Did you check for damage to the other exhaust valves?

There is a groove (in the form of a long straight line) on the crankshaft timing gear. That needs to be line up with the arrow on the block. It can be hard to tell sometimes because the gear is far out from the block. It might help to bend a piece of wire like this:

|_
. |

That way you can be sure of perfect alignment.

As for the pulley, it has a key so it only goes on in one position so don't worry about it.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: (Hardedge)

try for TDC