Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crank Pulley Bolt not coming out with Impact Gun

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Bolt not coming out with Impact Gun

Ok, so I'm having a water leak dripping from behind my crank pulley/bottom plastic cover, so I'm trying to take off the timing belt and take a look at the water pump. In order to take off the timing belt I have to take off that insanely torqued crank pulley bolt. My civic is a 94. I have tried using an impact gun with either a 15 or 21 gallon tank set to over 110 psi. I have also tried a breaker bar with a pipe for leverage and a screwdriver in the brake rotor with no success. I have also blasted the thing with PB Blaster. Nothing is taking it off. It doesn't have the hex pattern for the removal tool but instead has circles around the pulley for a different kind of removal tool. I'm going to try to find the removal tool. Any ideas on a way to get this beast off?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Crank Pulley Bolt not coming out with Impact Gun

What are running for a gun? Anything less than about 600ft lbs of torque in reverse probably isn't going to take that off. You might want to turn the regulator up a bit more too. I run at 120psi. If you're looking for a removal tool stick a bar on one of those holes and let it jam up against the frame rail.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

you need this tool:

There are other variations as well.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do NOT stick a bolt through the holes to jam the crank pulley. I broke mine by trying that.

You need someone to step on the brakes, get a good cheater bar, use a 6 point socket, and a 5 foot pipe from Lowes/Home Depot. Soak it with PB blast & put the pipe over the cheater bar.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
you need this tool:

X2

Look more closely and you will see where the tool goes.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just replaced mine last weekend you need the tool that holds the crank pulley in place it has a chain an looks like viscrips. Put that on it gets stuck by your axle. An air gun isn't gonna budge it. Use a 1/2 drive breaker bar and a pipe on the end. Someone hold the extensions straight and have someone put their weight on the pipe. Mine was a bi***
Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by axis11
X2

Look more closely and you will see where the tool goes.
Some D15 don't have the crank pulley to use that
Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by sde780
Do NOT stick a bolt through the holes to jam the crank pulley. I broke mine by trying that.
I've done lots like that, never broke one yet. I have heard of it happening, but it seems to be a rare occurrence.

Some D15 don't have the crank pulley to use that
Correct.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

.............You need someone to step on the brakes, get a good cheater bar, use a 6 point socket, and a 5 foot pipe from Lowes/Home Depot. Soak it with PB blast & put the pipe over the cheater bar.
???? What does pressing on the brakes have anything do with removing the crank pulley? OP wants to remove the CP, not the axles.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

???? What does pressing on the brakes have anything do with removing the crank pulley? OP wants to remove the CP, not the axles.

Car in gear, foot on brake. Motor should not be able to turn over.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took a 1500lbft gun on mine. Yeah that tight.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mjsotelo91
I have also blasted the thing with PB Blaster.
Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and power steering fluid.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://youtu.be/KtJQvZ8UcAQ?t=2m

not sure why the video isnt starting where i linked it, but basically at 1:55 he explains how using a torch can free up a bolt.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure u use a big air hose with good cfm, not a tiny one
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So far I have tried the freakin huge cheater bar trick-impact 1/2in 17mm deep socket with 1/2in extension (which broke), with a breaker bar and a 5 foot cheater pipe...that broke off my hardened steel extension. There is just too much leverage to use for an extension. I tried taking off the starter and wedge something against the flywheel...no avail. My next option is going to try to use a better air gun. I think mine goes up to 800 lb ft. rated at 90 psi, ive had the tank put up to over a 100. This is my brother's air gun and he has used it to take off his 98 Civic crank pulley before. I'm going to try going to a bigger air gun. Other than that the only thing left would be a torch, and for that I would have to either put everything back together or have it towed somewhere to torch it. I think it is pointless to try to get that pulley tool, because if I had the flywheel and brake rotors locked and the crank wasnt turning, then I don't see how a pulley tool would help....I'm hoping to try a bigger air gun tomorrow... I think I have spend 8 hours on this one bolt... Will update what happens later.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:23 AM
Seagull Management

If you're breaking extensions switch to 3/4 drive stuff.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your probably breaking extensions cause they arnt straight when your trying to break it lose make sure someone is holding them straight on the bolt. And then break thy sucker loose. This is a easy process
Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by Salami
Car in gear, foot on brake. Motor should not be able to turn over.
Removing the crank pulley DOES NOT require two people.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I've done lots like that, never broke one yet. I have heard of it happening, but it seems to be a rare occurrence.

Correct.
It may have been a combination of a 20 year old car with the original timing belt along with the elements of PA winters taking its toll, I don't know

I'd rather have someone step on the brakes for a second to crack the bolt loose than jamming a screwdriver in a brake rotor (what he said he was doing).

You don't need someone to step on the brakes to change the axle...break the axle nuts loose on the ground when car is in gear and ebrake on.

Originally Posted by mjsotelo91
So far I have tried the freakin huge cheater bar trick-impact 1/2in 17mm deep socket with 1/2in extension (which broke), with a breaker bar and a 5 foot cheater pipe...that broke off my hardened steel extension. There is just too much leverage to use for an extension. I tried taking off the starter and wedge something against the flywheel...no avail. My next option is going to try to use a better air gun. I think mine goes up to 800 lb ft. rated at 90 psi, ive had the tank put up to over a 100. This is my brother's air gun and he has used it to take off his 98 Civic crank pulley before. I'm going to try going to a bigger air gun. Other than that the only thing left would be a torch, and for that I would have to either put everything back together or have it towed somewhere to torch it. I think it is pointless to try to get that pulley tool, because if I had the flywheel and brake rotors locked and the crank wasnt turning, then I don't see how a pulley tool would help....I'm hoping to try a bigger air gun tomorrow... I think I have spend 8 hours on this one bolt... Will update what happens later.
Are you making sure the extension is straight? Use a jackstand to hold the extension so that it comes straight out of the bolt. If it's not completely straight you will round the bolt off or break a socket/extension.

I didn't say it required two people, but it's so much easier to have your kid/wife/gf/friend/neighbor/mailman step on the brakes for 10 seconds while you crank that bolt loose. If you turn the wheel all the way to the left the crank pulley bolt is also accessible, so put the car in gear and pull the ebrake. However if it's in the air already just have someone step on the brakes for a sec, unless you like doing things the long way.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel like this topic has come up 10 times in the last week. get the pulley holder (if applicable) and crack the bolt loose. end of story.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:48 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by dpetro1
i feel like this topic has come up 10 times in the last week. get the pulley holder (if applicable) and crack the bolt loose. end of story.
95% of the threads in this section were made by noobies. I'm assuming the regular members are on vacation or have moved onto other car makes/models. LOL
Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No it doesn't. I was replying to the poster on how it works, not saying that it should be done. I have the proper tools, I have NEVER had a crank pulley bolt I can not remove.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need this tool:

There are other variations as well.
Bought this tool years ago for $40 on eBay and I've used it on multiple D-Series and even a GSR. Definitely a good investment for every Honda wrencher.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it was straight, I was having someone else hold it firmly against the bolt and straight. The tool would be great, except that I would have to wait a few days for it to ship, I'm about to try a more powerful air gun and a mapp gas torch.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just tried torching it several times...and tried another air gun at 130 psi......nothing....I don't see how anything could get this off except maybe a 3/4 in air gun with a 200000 gallon air tank

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Bolt not coming out with Impact Gun