Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coolant Leak and Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak and Overheating

My car loses coolant and I think it's due to the fact that it keeps boiling over. It will only lose a certain amount then it stops. There are no leaks in any hoses, radiator, or any other part of the cooling system. I'm using the correct antifreeze/water mixture. As long as I keep my heat going, my car wont overheat. Thermostat was recently changed with a Stant brand of the same temperature (made for my car). What do you think the problem is?
Old 11-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are really lucky, the problem is you are not using an OEM thermostat. An OEM thermostat only runs a few bucks more than an aftermarket one, so use OEM. Also, make sure your radiator cap is fairly new and OEM.

Unfortunately it is at least as likely that the coolant is boiling over because of a blown head gasket, permitting combustion gases to blow into the cooling system and out the reservoir tank. If you see bubbling in the reservoir tank with the cap partly removed, it is a blown head gasket.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:36 PM

Okay, I got a new rad cap. It's autozone 'OEM' but not legit OEM. We'll see how that works. When my car would lose antifreeze I would pull my car over and fill it up. The wierd thing is that when I took the cap off it wouldn't sound like pressure was built up. I don't know if this is a symptom of losing coolant or if it was due to a bad rad cap.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tzarinque
Okay, I got a new rad cap. It's autozone 'OEM' but not legit OEM. We'll see how that works. When my car would lose antifreeze I would pull my car over and fill it up. The wierd thing is that when I took the cap off it wouldn't sound like pressure was built up. I don't know if this is a symptom of losing coolant or if it was due to a bad rad cap.
without a good radiator cap, the cooling system is not pressurized--therefore lowering the boiling temperature of the 50/50 mixture. that allows the mixture to boil easier, which in turn can be the reason for the disappearing coolant (evaporation) or it just boils over the overfill tank. other then that, coolant can escape into the combustion chamber as stated previously due to a blown head gasket.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could also have a resticted radiator too!!!!!! especially if you have to have the heat on to keep it cool.. you should bring it by a shop and have them flow test it...
Old 11-29-2008, 11:21 PM

due to the fact that this problem didn't start until I chnaged my thermostat, I believe it was due to a faulty radiator cap. I put a new one on but hadn't driven it yet. If the problem persists I will do a leak down test.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had sim prob using a Autozone cap, replaced with OEM Honda and never had issues again. Just remember just because says for your car that it also works for prob dozen others.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD_H2b_EG6_Coupe
I had sim prob using a Autozone cap, replaced with OEM Honda and never had issues again. Just remember just because says for your car that it also works for prob dozen others.
x2. I bought almost all aftermarket parts for the first eight years of my 91 Civic's life. I learned the hard way this was a mistake. Now all my ignition parts (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, igniter, and coil) are always OEM (or per the owner's manual, in the case of the plugs). The OEM thermostat and OEM rad cap are cheap enough that when I finally needed them around year 10, I did not bat an eyelash at paying a few dollars more. OEM for these areas pays for itself in longer life and less wear and tear on other engine parts. Ya sleep better, too. The only exception I might make is if the car only has a year or so of life in it, for whatever reason. Then I can see buying, say, a whole distributor from the aftermarket maker Distributor King.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:12 PM

Would losing coolant (about a pint) cause my car to overheat? The level only drops a little and takes about a pint to a quart to fill back up. But it doesn' make sense that this would make my coolant temp rise.