Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Complete Walk-Through for B18C(R) Swap Into EK? Actually Searched...Nothing Amazing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Complete Walk-Through for B18C(R) Swap Into EK? Actually Searched...Nothing Amazing

I know, I know an annoying "been answered a million times before" topic from none other than a seasoned H-Ter and even moderator in this here fine forum. I did a search, looked through the FAQs, and either i just missed it, or we actually don't have a documented topic/link to a thorough ITR swap into EK chsssis topic.

At least I'm not asking this for myself, but on behalf of someone else who is in need of some assistance. A fellow H-Ter from the country of Georgia has been asking me for some guidance on his 1997 Civic EX auto and how he can install a JDM ITR engine. Specific 96-98 Civic EX info as it pertains to a B18C(R) swap would be greatly appreciated.

I know a good bit about it, but via AIM it's hard to convey every little detail. It's probably been 4 years since I've done one in an EK, and honestly my forte' is he EG chassis.

Does anyone here have a nice link or links to detailed, picture-intense swap guide including wiring?

I have gathered the wiring info from Katman's FF-Tech site to be pretty damn inclusive, but any little details you guys can add would be great.

Mounts, linkages, etc. - any parts lists you guys have would be awesome.

So far I've got...

Mounts:

Timing side bracket - 99-00 Si
Timing side mount - stock 96-00 civic
Rear T-bracket - 99-00 Si
Rear mount - stock civic 5-speed, 96-00
Topside tranny mount/bracket - 96-00 Civic 5-speed
Front tranny steel bracket with three bolts - 99-00 Civic Si or 94-01 Integra 5-speed
A/C bracket - depends on a/c or not (Del Sol VTEC if keeping a/c?)
Front anti-roll horseshoe mounts - Stock Civic 5-speed

Shift linkage:

99-00 Civic Si or 94-01 Integra (and use Integra or afternarket short skifter)

Axles and intermediate shaft:

94-01 Integra, 94-97 Del Sol VTEC, or 99-00 Civic Si

Also misc. parts from 99-00 Si:

Upper and lower radiaor hoses
Throttle cable/bracket
Heater hoses (if replacing)

Anything else you all can think of?

I told him wiring will depend on which ECU he runs, whether it's a chipped and jumper harnessed P28 or JDM P73, etc.

Thanks for any input!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Complete Walk-Through for B18C(R) Swap Into EK? Actually Searched...Nothing Amazing (B18C5-EH2)

Wow.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Complete Walk-Through for B18C(R) Swap Into EK? Actually Searched...Nothing Amazing (B18C5-EH2)

bump for a nice guy

we need more people as helpful as you around.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Complete Walk-Through for B18C(R) Swap Into EK? Actually Searched...Nothing Amazing (JdelMsolG)

the whole power steering deal but (i dont know it i dont have power steering lol) other than that i think you pretty much got it.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Former Moderator

Any first-person, specific info is welcome.

I'm starting to wonder why all you guys with EKs that have done this swap aren't willing to help.

I rarely ever ask for help around here, and I'm always willing to help on any topic I've got info for, so when I finally post a request it's frustrating to see lots of views, and no replies.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i i think it shows how much actually experience is lacked by the majority of users on the board.

seriously, most peoples comfort ends with bolt on's

either that or you have the parts all listed.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (instrument)

Well my parts list is from memory, and it might not be 100% accurate. I was really hoping that some of the hundreds of first-hand experinced swappers would take a moment from their day and post good links, or even *gasp* write the info out.

Oh well I guess. I can't expect to be treated the same way I treat others on a message board.

My topic in the Hybrid forum is even more pathetic.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

yeah thats H-T for ya. nobody helps but everybody is willing and ready to FLAME!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I wish I could help, but I really don't know much about swaps. I'll see if I can come up with anything helpful though.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 PM

Default Re:

Hmm... I've only HELPED with one of these swap before. Pretty much need everything of a EM1 for this swap. Seems to me like you've got everything covered. Sorry I couldnt be any help.

Did he figure out what ECU he wants to run yet?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. There really isn't much to doing a b swap into an EK

In the words of a local guy "Putting a b series in an EK is as easy as passing out drunk"
Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (drtysohc)

Here's the problem:

The info I've listed is a great START to doing this swap, but i'm sure there are things like certain plugs/wiring to extend/relocate, the whole Power Steering issue(s), etc. etc.

I could literally recite an EG swap from start to finish, and there are a few step by step 100% perfect walk-throughs for EGs on the net, but I've yet to see one that is a start-to-finish guide for an EK.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

This may sound kind of dumb, but can be overlooked by some because their focused solely on whats going on inside the engine bay......but brakes! I'm not sure if its already been taken into consideration, but im sure the motor is heavier than the stock EX motor, and your friend will most likely have a heavy foot for a bit because it will be a thrill to drive.

Going faster + more weight = brake upgrade! (4-wheel disc?)

thats my 0.02, hope it helps...
Old 07-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mcki0068)

what year motor is he getting. alot of the wiring will depend on that and also what obd he is gonna run. if he is gonna go obd 1 then you got the whole o2 sensor deal and the iat sensor deal. i think obd1 has the iat in the manifold (i know my ls does) so you gotta extend that wire. its basically like doin a swap in a eg wireing wise ( i think, i dont have 1 or ever done 1 but it would make sense) it all would depend on what obd he is gonna go with
Old 07-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the most ridiculous things in the Honda community. Other than wiring info, I've seen very little about 6th gen Civic B-series swaps.

Here's a mount and bracket parts list, and a little bit more info:
http://kosmo.homedns.org/trey/6gen/

Here's some powersteering info:
http://hondaswap.com/swap-arti...29117/

At the bottom, there's another parts list (including the same info about the powersteering). But it's about an OBD1 B16A into a '96 Civic:
http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/scottdr.html

The only wiring I can think of is going to be the ECU plugs (being an automatic as well), and the distributor plug. For the distributor plug, these was done by comparing service manuals:
http://img.photobucket.com/alb...s.jpg

^Simply matching pin by pin, and moving the wire from the #5 pin of the small plug to the #10 pin of the larger plug (or reverse depending on the harness). Then dealing with the solid Blue wire (#9 on big plug) that isn't on the smaller plug.

Wish I could help some more, but I've personally never done a B-series swap on a '96+ Civic before.

I'd also like to say that it's an absolute DISGRACE that people who have done this swap aren't in here helping out.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Complete Walk-Through for B18C(R) Swap Into EK? Actually Searched...Nothing Amazing (ltrkstr2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ltrkstr2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the whole power steering deal but (i dont know it i dont have power steering lol) other than that i think you pretty much got it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know I have posted this a few times before but here goes. If you want to retain power steering on your EK with a B series swap you have to have the correct powersteering pump and brackets. Basically there are two different high pressure fittings the power steering pump can have(pics below). You need the one with the larger fitting which is what EK uses from the factory. Also you have to make sure you get brackets that fit your motor. I think gsr/itr/b20 use a different bracket vs. b16 because the deck height is different(though im not 100% on this). once you get the right power steering pump and brackets, it will bolt right up and the line will attach no problem, just use your stock line and reservoir.

This is the larger one that you want for an EK.

This is the one you don't want.

Modified by JeffBro at 6:01 PM 7/30/2008
Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also the there are a few things with the wiring that need to be covered.

First off as long as the swap motor is the same obd as your car the computer will plug n play with your stock harness except for a few small things.

Secondary butterflies must be wired up on gsr swaps only.

There is a fuel tank pressure sensor that some EK's dont have that might throw a code on some computers(I think only USDM computers will do this). I believe only the EX coupes came with the sensor from 96-98 and then some additional models did have it in the later years such as Si EX coupe and sedan. Not sure if there are other models that had it.

Wires that need to be extended.

EVAP must be installed and working to pass smog which requires some extending of wires for that.

O2 sensor wires must be extended from the front of the motor to the back.

The Air Intake Temp sensor wires must be extended from the intake boot to the intake manifold.

VTEC wire must be added if the car is not an EX or didn't come with VTEC already. Also you must have the VTEC pressure switch for USDM computer.

Only important if you using USDM computer on JDM swap

Most JDM swaps dont come with the VTEC pressure switch so this wire must be either added or extended(if you have EX). You need a VTEC solenoid assembly that comes with the sensor if you use a USDM computer with a JDM swap.

Secondary O2 senor must be installed and wired.

This list should give you an idea. Also there are more things you have to do to make the swap smog legal especially if the motor is JDM. Maybe I will cover this sometime.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So that covers power steering and wiring, hows that for some specifics?

Oh and heres an inspirational photo

Modified by JeffBro at 6:35 PM 7/30/2008
Old 11-10-2009, 12:12 PM
New User

Default ek idle trouble

anyone have an idle problem when swapping the b18c into an ek chassis?

cant seem to adjust the idle to 850 rpm, best i can do is 1060rpm-ish
runnimng the p73 ecu, 97 spec ej sir loom
Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Complete Walk-Through for B18C(R) Swap Into EK? Actually Searched...Nothing Amaz

Here is a little insight on the Front sway bar but not 100% pertaining to the B18C(R) Swap

If you are going to put a sway bar on the EK chassis then there are several ways of doing so and I will run it down 1 by 1.

1. If your car has the sway bar connects on the FLCA then you are set, if not then you will only need to get the rear section of the 2 piece FLCA's from any EX Civic or DC. If you want to make it simple on yourself you can get the complete EX Civic LCA(96-99) and swap it in. If you cannot locate an EX Civic one you can jack one from the DC, all you need is the rear section of the FLCA and mount it onto your stock FLCA on your EK Chassis. Note you will need the stock civic bushings, that big rubber thing that faces the bad of the car...lol.

2. You can get the EX sway bar and use EX sway bar end links which is a good handling mod.

3. For those that want to go Si crazy you can swap the entire FLCA and Front sway bar for a killer set-up.

4. For those that want to retain traction bars you will have to do step 1 and use the Si Sway bar then get youself a set of the S13 front sway bar end links which resemble ITR front sway bar end links but a bit longer.
why you ask use the S13 end links, well I use the ITR ones and the Sway bar sits ontop of the LCA which is not good and tried the S13 one which are perfect.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Re: ek idle trouble

Originally Posted by paulr5
anyone have an idle problem when swapping the b18c into an ek chassis?

cant seem to adjust the idle to 850 rpm, best i can do is 1060rpm-ish
runnimng the p73 ecu, 97 spec ej sir loom
Sounds to me like you have an air leak.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Complete Walk-Through for B18C(R) Swap Into EK? Actually Searched...Nothing Amaz

I have an Eg with a jdm b18c type r and the mounts that came with the engine do not fit into the mounting points correctly.

Which brackets would i need to look for?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

EG's use just normal integra mounts from a 5 speed model
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just did a b18c1 swap, but i guess i cheated on the wiring part. my swap came with a harness already, but it was the same harness that i had, just modified of course...i jusk kinda dove in since i didnt have to wire anything, plug and play. pretty strait foward swap i think. it was my first.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LS-turboner
i just did a b18c1 swap, but i guess i cheated on the wiring part. my swap came with a harness already, but it was the same harness that i had, just modified of course...i jusk kinda dove in since i didnt have to wire anything, plug and play. pretty strait foward swap i think. it was my first.
Itsmy first swap and its been 4 days for me and it still aint running right!!

Quick Reply: Complete Walk-Through for B18C(R) Swap Into EK? Actually Searched...Nothing Amazing