Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cold start problem 98 hatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold start problem 98 hatch

sure could use some help if anyone has any experience with this. Have a 98 hatch with a y7 block and a y8 head. engine harness is 99 obd2b, interior dash harness and dash is 99 civic ob2b, ecu is 99 civic ex manual ob2b. car has knock sensor installed on y7 block and connected to harness. Car currently does not have the charcoal cannister installed. the lines on the firewall are just open. I have purchased the cannister to install but havent found the connector on the engine harness that goes to it yet. both o2 sensors are new, car is not really throwing any codes. It is a 5 spd manual hatchback. I have a scan guage connected to the Obd2 test port and it gives me engine temps rpm ignition load etc.
Here is what it is doing:

When you start it in the morning (cold start) it starts up just fine and idles at 1000 rpm you can take off in it immediately and drive along just fine. about 15-20 seconds later it begins to buck and it will alternate between almost dying and then suddenly revving up and tends to do better if you hold your foot on it and keep it revved over 4k. i notice that because i have a gate leaving my house and it does fine till i have to stop for the gate and then is hell leaving out after that trying to accelerate till it warms up. when the engine temp is 155 or thereabouts and car goes into switches closed/open loop it runs fine from then on. it runs great with slightly lower mpg than it ought to get but not bad. 28-31 which may or may not be a symptom as i am not used to ex gearing. it will run fine from a warm start then on but if it cools all the way down it does it again.

again, no check engine codes consistently, it does occasionally throw P0505 and P1457 but never when running badly only out of the blue like once a week when it is running just fine down the highway. it runs fine when warm, is missing the charcoal cannister ( as mentioned i have it but i havent found the plug to switch it yet.

any help or insight on this problem would be appreciated. TPS sensor is reading correctly 0.5- 4.5v or whatever the book says it hink that is it, i know i had it out when i readi it out and it was right, distibutor is new, plugs look ok. timed to 12 degrees at idle warm no load.