Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic involved in a crash on drivers side - cant open hood - cable appears broke

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic involved in a crash on drivers side - cant open hood - cable appears broke

The hood release inside is just free, no latch release pressure. I think the cable broke in the wreck. Is there a shortcut way to get the hood open? I think the powersteering resevior is broke or damaged... ps fluid on grown.

thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic involved in a crash on drivers side - cant open hood - cable appears broke (friendhashonda

...You could always just use a crowbar?

How bad is the car.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: civic involved in a crash on drivers side - cant open hood - cable appears broke (friendhashonda

Take it to Honda and have it opened.

I hope no ones tells this guy how to pop hoods.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: civic involved in a crash on drivers side-cant open hood-cable appears broke

Its really just the drivers headlight/turn-indicator thats visible. I would just as-soon not toast it any more.. if there is any possiblity of keeping the hood where it could latch.

Ah, and for those who might be concerned, if I was interested in entering a car illegally, I would not setup an account to do it.. there are much easier ways than to wait on e-mail.. and I would not likely pick honda to circumvent the inside latch for.. I would likely pick something a little higher end... but have it your way.. friend

Some user support forum you got here..
Old 12-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic involved in a crash on drivers side-cant open hood-cable appears broke (friendhashonda)

when i wreked my EJ8 i had the same problem (cable got bent) so i just got to the cable from inside the fender and yanked on the cable while my buddy pulled on the hood tilll it came loose. you might have to cut it to get the cable out of the sheath.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: civic involved in a crash on drivers side-cant open hood-cable appears broke (MikeD718)

Thanks - I manged to find the cable through the gap in the headlight and even after cutting it and pulling it with Vicegrips, I cant get it to release. The hood was wedged under the fender at first but it still wont release even after getting that out. This is an undergraduate student worker from my office and in addition to the wreck, she had her apt broken into about 3 weeks ago.. so im just trying to help her out.

Her dad lives about 200+ miles away and I wanted to try to give him an idea what the car would need before he loaded up to head this way.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:53 PM

Yea like that was going to happen,

Even if this is legit, it gives thieves more information on how to do it.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea like that was going to happen,

Even if this is legit, it gives thieves more information on how to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, with the number of "My car was stolen" threads around here no one needs to help the theives out any. This is not directed to the original poster but this is a public forum and this information might be seen by the wrong people. We are not trying to be dicks, but once you see how often these cars get stolen it makes subjects like this very sensitive.

Also, honestly I do not know how to open it, so do not think I am withholding any info from you that I know. I am just trying to explain a little.