Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Checking CEL's on a 95 EJ coupe, experianced people only please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking CEL's on a 95 EJ coupe, experianced people only please...

Just before I even begin, I've done multiple swaps, and have 2 of my write-ups on these boards, so please don't post stupid/wise-***/worthless answers.

I'm well aware of the FAQ's section, 2 of my articles are IN this section, and I'm aware of this thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-ecu-codes-everyone-682412/

and this: "if you go to passanger side kick panel and raise up the carpet u sould see your ecu. and above your ECU there will be a lil plug. i believe its green. I take a spare piece of thin speaker wire and cut off both ends so that the actual copper of the wire is showion on both ends. i twist up both ends so that they are in a nice point. stick one end of the wire into the fist socket on the plug. The other end of the wire into the other socket. Turn your key to the ON position.. dont start your car. just to the ON position. Watch your check engine light on your cluster. it will flash.. 1 long flash is 10. the quick flashes are one. so if ur CEL goes !.....!!! that is a code 13. !....!....!!!!! code 25. then take the code #'s and hop on this thread and see what it is. i hope i could help you all."

The problem I'm having is that the only 2 plugs I have found in that area of my car are 2 blue plugs, one with 2 wires (Black and Brown) and one with 3.

My 92 hatch had a grey plug with black and brown wires which when jumped read my codes, when I jump the blue connector in my 95 EJ my SRS light flashes and the CEL VERY DIMLY flickers.

Car starts/runs/pulls strong and is a B18B1 swapped car with the ECU Prior to the P75 (the OBD1 ECU from the 92-93 integras, I cannot remeber what the code for it is off the top of my head, but it is the same EXACT KIND of ECU I used previously (but not the SAME ecu)

Only problems my coupe has is it has is a slight miss at idle when cold, occasionally while warm, and a CEL.

Thank you in advance for any help from the community, I feel like I'm missing something, or maybe 95 EJ's are different in some way? I've dug and dug and dug for a grey connector plug for 'service' use in the area around/above/behind the ECU to no avail aside from these 2 blue plugged ones.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Checking CEL's on a 95 EJ coupe, experianced people only please...

It has to be there somewhere, maybe tucked up behind the glovebox or something?

I believe on my EJ the plug was blue. Mine was a 94 EX Coupe.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dE.fUsEd
It has to be there somewhere, maybe tucked up behind the glovebox or something?

I believe on my EJ the plug was blue. Mine was a 94 EX Coupe.
This is what I'm concerned about, I know typically 'freaking out' lights when a CEL jumper is put in can often mean "Bad" or "Flaky" ECU, but my car runs fine, all gauges/features work as they should...?

Car was a ONE OWNER car, elderly couple, and was serviced ONLY by the dealer, so I can't imagine the jumper is 'hidden' past the normal locations.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you post a picture of the plug and it's location?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dE.fUsEd
Can you post a picture of the plug and it's location?
Looks identical to the grey service plug on my old hatch, and IIRC the same color wires too (Black and Brown, or green and brown... or something of that nature)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:14 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

From the last fifth gen I messed with (about two weeks ago) I remember it being a bright green rubber piece which a blue plug and a brown plug were both "plugged into". The bright green rubber was just a cap.

Honestly the color of the cap (bright green) stands out in my mind more then the color of the plugs.

The two pin plug should be it.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
From the last fifth gen I messed with (about two weeks ago) I remember it being a bright green rubber piece which a blue plug and a brown plug were both "plugged into". The bright green rubber was just a cap.

Honestly the color of the cap (bright green) stands out in my mind more then the color of the plugs.

The two pin plug should be it.
This is who I was looking for to reply to my thread

If that's the case, what does a flashing SRS light and a dimly flickering CEL mean? (Only things I can think of are stuff like bad ECU/Relay? these 2 plugs came out of that bright green cap.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

somehow it seems as if the lights are wired incorrectly. because the SRS Light doesnt flash. Its either on or off. So mayb its throwing the codes through the SRS light when jumped. I know it sounds very weird but see if its flashing means anything (matches a code).
Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunatly the SRS is just flashing constant (On/Off, no pattern)

The ECU is a PR4 powering a 95 B18B1 (Done the same thing in the past, no problems)

Thank you for the input though, I'm sure someone/somewhere has to know what is going on, Lol.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you are jumping the correct 2P service connector.

For 5th generation Civics, CEL and ABS codes but not SRS codes are retrieved by jumping the service connector and reading the blinking light pattern of the respective indicator light.

For 6th generation Civics, CEL, ABS, and SRS codes are retrieved by jumping the service connector.

Are you sure the SRS light rather than ABS light is blinking with the service connector jumped?

On the other hand, the dim flickering of the CEL with the service connector jumped suggests to me a loose or bad wire in either the service connector or the CEL circuit.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The car HAS been a bit notorious for flaky wiring (Had to replace a headlight harness, and several other lighting elements are 'shaky')

I'm going to test the car with a P75 just for ***** and grins.

But yes, the car is a 1995 5th gen, so I have NOOOOO idea why the SRS light is flashing...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When the engine was swapped to a B18B1, is it possible that the original OBDI wire harnesses were replaced with OBDII wire harnesses?

By the way, the service connector of 6th generation Civics is blue.

Last edited by Former User; 06-11-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
When the engine was swapped to a B18B1, is it possible that the original OBDI wire harnesses were replaced with OBDII wire harnesses?
Engine bay side harness is still original (out of the 95 civic DX pulled from its origional D15B7)

Not just that, but just so you know, but 1996+ Engine harnesses from INTEGRA'S plug right into 92-95 civic motor bays, I infact used a 1996 B18B1 AND its engine harness for my last swap, no problems

By the way, the service connector of 6th generation Civics is blue.
That's why I'm a bit puzzled, my 92 was grey, why would my 95's be blue?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dasfinc
That's why I'm a bit puzzled, my 92 was grey, why would my 95's be blue?
But was the main wire harness that has the C441 service connector possibly swapped from an OBDII car?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But was the main wire harness that has the C441 service connector possibly swapped from an OBDII car?

this SPECIFIC car was 1 owner, Elderly couple. I bought it bone-stock, and did all the work myself. The ONLY way it could have been swapped was if the dealership did it (Whatever the local Honda dealer in Morriss IL is), so I can't even imagine that being the case? Thank you for the diagram though, I'll poke around some more once the rain lets up.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this SPECIFIC car was 1 owner, Elderly couple. I bought it bone-stock, and did all the work myself. The ONLY way it could have been swapped was if the dealership did it (Whatever the local Honda dealer in Morriss IL is), so I can't even imagine that being the case? Thank you for the diagram though, I'll poke around some more once the rain lets up.
Yeah, I was just throwing an idea out there. Another possibility is that some stock 95 Civics have a factory-installed main wire harness with a blue service connector. Nonetheless, tracing wires in the CEL and SRS warning light circuits and testing them for shorts and continuity should reveal the source of your unusual problems.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM

I don't want to be the dumbass here but if your car is a 1995 year model it should be OBD2. Doesn't that mean you can hook it up to a scanning computer and retrieve the code that way?

I am not the most knowledgeable on this forum but maybe my perspective will offer a different possibilibty.

I am not being a smartass either. I really, honestly, truly think you should be able to use a CEL scanner tool.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the help, and the diagram is a resource I did not have before.

I guess I'm hoping for someone to step-in and say "Yea, flashing SRS with it jumped means Dead ECU, or popped fuse" or something easy like that, I h8 hunting down shorts

I apologize for the capslock, like 96% of the audience on this website would see the thread title and simply post "Its in the FAQs" or "put a paperclip in the jumper" is what I'm afraid of, its hard to find KNOWLEDGABLE people like you lol.

Thank you again for the input, Guess I better start cleaning up my garage so I can tear into it a bit while its raining
Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shailoche
I don't want to be the dumbass here but if your car is a 1995 year model it should be OBD2. Doesn't that mean you can hook it up to a scanning computer and retrieve the code that way?

I am not the most knowledgeable on this forum but maybe my perspective will offer a different possibilibty.

I am not being a smartass either. I really, honestly, truly think you should be able to use a CEL scanner tool.
OBDII started in 1996 for Civics.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shailoche

Yea, I'm afraid that is the wrong answer (no offense)

OBD1 is 1992-1995, OBD2 is 1996+.

the only cars that I'm aware of that had a few 'odd-*****' are J-body chevrolets (Sunfires/Cavaliers had a 1995.5 model that was OBD2)
Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 AM

OBDII started in 1996 for Civics.
For some reason I was thinking that his car should have the OBDII because of the type of engine swapped and the ECU. Also, I thought that the 1996 Civics were actually produced in late 1995 which would mean some manufactured in "1995" would have ODBII.

I was totally wrong. Sorry for the wasted post.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Naw, its OK man, you learn something new every day

The 1996 'model year' is the first OBD2 civics.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Naw, its OK man, you learn something new every day
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, so I guess I may have spoke too soon?

the SRS light DOES flash a code, but its not a CEL code, it flashes 92 (9 long, 2 short)

while the DIM AS HELL CEL appears to be flashing a 6 or a 7 (TPS, or ECT, both of which have already been replaced, the CEL has been on since I finished the swap and I had no temp gauge, I replaced the ECT and got my temp gauge back.

My TPS is off of my D15B7 motor, but I've read/found it is the EXACT same part as for B18B1's, so the 92 code with the SRS light is my only new clue right now.

Code 92 appears to be Evap (I know the little black do-jigger on the back of my intake manifold with the 'black cap' has its cap broken off of it, has that ever been known to cause a miss at idle and CEL?).

I pulled my cluster out of my car and cleaned/checked all connections to see why the SRS light is flashing, and everything looks fine...? I do not have the GREEN plug inside of my dashboard on this car, I cannot recall what system that one would be for anyways? so I have an empty green 'slot' in the back of my cluster, also just for reference.

Quick Reply: Checking CEL's on a 95 EJ coupe, experianced people only please...