Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL: P0700 & P0715. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL: P0700 & P0715. Is it worth it?

Ok so I just bought a 1997 civic dx with an auto trans a couple weeks ago. Now the CEL came on throwing the above codes for the trans problems. I know the 0700 is just for general trans problem and 0715 is for either the linear solenoid problem or malfunction or a failing transmission.

My question is, do you think its even worth it to go through and try and diagnose this, flush the trans and replace the solenoid, or should I just track down a used trans? It seems the solenoid itself costs in the $150-200 range. The car has 170k miles on it. I'm using it as my DD so I can let my 350z sit. I really didn't want to put any real money into this thing. So I'm kind of weighing my options at the moment. Should I attempt to fix it and run the risk of the trans failing anyway, should I just start hunting for a used trans, or should I just swap the entire motor for something better (probably only a y8 or an ls. Really no need for anything more than that since its my dd)?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: CEL: P0700 & P0715. Is it worth it?

Find another tranny, it's never the solenoid. Also, if you use a Y8 tranny on a Y7 or vice versa you will get those same two codes due to a different third gear ratio.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So if I find a y8 tranny, since I have a y7, it'll still throw both those codes? Well that's kind of a pain. Would a different ECU fix that? Ideally, I guess it would be better to just find a full y8 swap. Although even if I find just the y8 trans and it throws the code, its still better than the actual problem being there haha. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by SurfKid3
So if I find a y8 tranny, since I have a y7, it'll still throw both those codes?
Yes. I found out the hard way a couple of years ago replacing the tranny in my mother's civic.

Well that's kind of a pain. Would a different ECU fix that?
Sort of, it will fix the transmission code issue, but you'll throw vtec and knock sensor codes so you aren't any further ahead. In any case these aren't exactly expensive transmissions. I paid $100 for the Y8 transmission that I ended up not being able to use and $75 for the Y7+torque converter I ended up replacing it with.

Ideally, I guess it would be better to just find a full y8 swap.
You should be able to find one somewhere cheap enough, especially an automatic they're not all that desirable to most people due to the intake manifold and throttlebody being different between the automatic and manual versions.

Although even if I find just the y8 trans and it throws the code, its still better than the actual problem being there haha.
I didn't mention this earlier but it will also shift kinda funky. There tends to be a very delayed engagement, especially when shifting into reverse and it will shift hard.

Thanks for the info!
You're welcome I wish someone had of given me the same info a couple of years ago.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All that info is beyond helpful thank you so much. I'm pretty much just on the hunt for a full y8 swap. They do seem to be undesirable so hopefully I can find one cheap and relatively soon.

Just a thought....since it would throw the vtec/knock sensor code if I use another ecu, would that mean if I went with a mini me and a y8 trans, it wouldn't throw any codes? Just trying to think of everything in case that's all I find haha.

I'm still driving the car back and forth to work. It seems to be shifting pretty well still. I mean its a tad rough sometimes and will sometimes shift kind of sporadically. Otherwise its really not all that bad. Any ideas on how long before it would compeletely crap out on me?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Seagull Management

All that info is beyond helpful thank you so much.
You're most welcome

Just a thought....since it would throw the vtec/knock sensor code if I use another ecu, would that mean if I went with a mini me and a y8 trans, it wouldn't throw any codes? Just trying to think of everything in case that's all I find haha.
You could do a mini-me and it would work perfectly fine. I know the Y7 has the bung for the knock sensor, but you may have to thread it, I can't remember. If at all possible get it from a '96 - '98 EX since you can use the ECU and engine harness. You even want to look into buying a complete written off vehicle and swapping the cabin and door harness for power options. One other thing to note is that using an EX engine harness will leave you without provisions for a secondary O2 sensor, you can either use the Y7 harness and add in the vtec wiring, or use the Y8 harness and add in the secondary O2 sensor wiring, one makes as much sense as the other to me. Final note, using the EX manifold, downpip, cat and midpipe with the factor muffler will be a 100% plug and play exhaust.

I'm still driving the car back and forth to work. It seems to be shifting pretty well still. I mean its a tad rough sometimes and will sometimes shift kind of sporadically. Otherwise its really not all that bad. Any ideas on how long before it would compeletely crap out on me?
It's anyone's guess honestly. Mom drove her's for well over a year IIRC and it never did fail. It never slipped, it just shifted HARD it would spin going into second at WOT, chirp at half throttle. On one occasion I had it chirp going into third at WOT. I was more worried about blowing the diff through the side of the case than having it start slipping.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Trial User

Hi newbie here hope you can help me some got same code P0715 keeps coming back an keeps from letting me shift into overdrive. the questions I have is I just dropped 1700.00 for a motor today now there telling me the error code.....sigh what do I do any ideas? I did some looking on the web an seen different solutions some good an some bad (transmission replace) read something about electrical shifting modual?

I did not have this issue before I replaced the motor. Any good place to get transmission from seen where some said dont rebuild it and ALSO seen recall maybe on Honda transmission also? this true?

Bad this is I just bought the car and only put maybe 1,000 miles on it so far argh

thank you in advance signed empty pockets

also replaced the knock sensor to as well