cat or no cat? pros and cons

Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: cat or no cat? pros and cons

Originally Posted by poor_Type_caR
Cat helps out ur muffler, no cat equals misfires...sometimes
Lol

If youre a DD all motor i would use a Cat, its not worth the 3-5whp gains and additional noise. Turbo Application i would advise otherwise
Old 03-28-2024, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: cat or no cat? pros and cons

Okay, I just want to say something from a purely logical point of view.

Observation one: People generally have their own interests at heart, and business owners(particularly large businesses) want to make money, and are willing to do whatever it takes to increase their profit margins.

Observation two: A clogged catalytic converter will destroy your engine, or at the very lease increase the rate of wear, eventually causing costly repairs.

Observation three: You can smell unburned hydrocarbons in your exhaust with your car running at the tailpipe.

Observation four: I cant tell the difference between the way my 2003 civic exhaust smells with or without a cat.

Observation five: A cat will not burn 100% of leftover unburned fuel...evident by the smell of exhaust in a car with bad plugs or a car during warm up by the unburned hydrocarbon smell.

Conclusion(and maybe I am incorrect): A properly running engine should already be burning virtually all fuel in the combustion chamber, so with no cat if you cant smell unburned hydrocarbons the ecological footprint you are leaving is very minimal and bypassing a cat will not harm the environment very much at all, espescially compared to diesel rigs or any vehicle that is burning oil.

Now if I am incorrect please don't belittle me, but I would like to hear any observations that contradict my conclusion. Keep in mind it is based purely on my observations, but I welcome any insight which could lead me to reconcile my conclusion. Thanks!