Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Carpet Dye (RIT) Review/Tips

Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Carpet Dye (RIT) Review/Tips

I don't stay near a supplier, but I would like to see the product in use. I have used RIT dye before and it sure as hell stained everything it touched...
Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adnoH671
I don't stay near a supplier, but I would like to see the product in use. I have used RIT dye before and it sure as hell stained everything it touched...
Did it come off after install???? Like when you stepped on it etc.

Or it stained everything as you used it.

I'm on the verge of using RIT, but I am just weary of the long term color longevity. ( I wanna do black as well )
Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done this to 4 different cars of mine and all have been successful..The only difference I see with this write-up is that he didn't use Salt. I normally buy..
4-5 bottles of RIT
2 Cheap brands of Iodized Salt
a big garbage container
and Boiling Water

And everyone of them came out great..one of the civics I owned for about a year and a half showed no fading..granted i clean my car every weekend..heres the link for the writeup i used
http://floridahondacrew.com/diy-do-y...lot-black.html
Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is next do do on my nasty gray carpet, I hope mine comes out as clean as that
Old 02-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djcam954
I've done this to 4 different cars of mine and all have been successful..The only difference I see with this write-up is that he didn't use Salt. I normally buy..
4-5 bottles of RIT
2 Cheap brands of Iodized Salt
a big garbage container
and Boiling Water

And everyone of them came out great..one of the civics I owned for about a year and a half showed no fading..granted i clean my car every weekend..heres the link for the writeup i used
http://floridahondacrew.com/diy-do-y...lot-black.html

Heyyour link you posted is dead haah, can you do another write up or pm me? I just got a pretty decent carpet for my ef at the junkyard and some of it is purple due to the sun hitting the vintage purple tint on the back windows.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First let me say sorry for responding so late, I sort of forgot about Honda-tech.

Summary:
-No noticeable fading
-Does not rub off on any clothing or shoes, WHATSOEVER
-Temperature, water, setting time, staining, clean-up -> all followed RIT's instructions.
-This was pretty damn easy to do and I highly recommend it to people with ugly carpets.
-WOW the heavy duty dye you are using stained the things it got on!? If thats a surprise to you, just stop now because I don't think you can handle the rest of the procedure. Yes, the dye will stain clothes, certain plastics, skin (for a short time), or many other things exposed to it. (Interestingly enough it won't set in some threading on clothing.)

My responses are mainly for people reading this later on, because I'm guessing the people who asked questions 3-4 months ago are over it, but I want this post to remain informative.

I don't know how to multi-quote so..

FPR is just wrong. The color has faded approximately... 0%. And has not ever once rubbed off on any of my shoes, rubber sole or sides and I rock white converse occasionally so I think I would have noticed. Personally I would listen to my advice, the person who actually did this.

I don't really know or care what Grumblmarc is talking about, but I have had zero issues with my RIT dyed carpets, just do it carefully and correctly and it will work excellent.

And unfortunately I disposed of my dying mixture by pouring it into the grass because I didn't know what else to do with gallons of black dye water. But I believe at the time I researched RIT products before doing so because I'm very environmentally conscious.

What should be considered is that I did buy floor matts immediately after as I wanted to protect my newly renovated carpet from day to day wear like dirt and water. So I do have matts which are certainly helping to preserve my carpets color, but there is certainly no difference in color between areas protected covered by mats and not.

I've used RIT dye for this carpet and for numerous pieces of clothing. If its rubbing off on you, or fading shortly after application, you did something wrong! Period. Don't blame RIT.

As for the topic of fading, even if my carpet faded noticeably after a year I would still consider this well worth a day or two of dying and waiting. And I would definitely repeat it in the next few years if I felt it necessary, which I'm positive it will not.

Between myself and djcam954 there should be plenty of legitimate information and advice.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm saying that if anyone thinks RIT does a good job then they'll lose it when they use this stuff. It makes RIT look like finger painting. If RIT works for you then more power to you but this stuff is 100x superior.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, grumblemarc, what type of dye should be used on floor mats ? I have no idea what material mine are, there are only 2 words of english on them so I dont know which dye I should be using.. Also, they are a black & white zebra print & I want to dye the white to pink, will it ruin the black area of the mat ?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks great man hope it holds up..keep us posted.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Meoow
Hey, grumblemarc, what type of dye should be used on floor mats ? I have no idea what material mine are, there are only 2 words of english on them so I dont know which dye I should be using.. Also, they are a black & white zebra print & I want to dye the white to pink, will it ruin the black area of the mat ?
I posted a link a while ago. Go and educate yourself. Don't turn this into an arts and crafts thread with these questions.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ this will really get under grumpys skin...

HELP I need to know what is the BEST carper dye out there...
Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 AM
The Grumpiest

The one that changes the color. It's obvious that poster was a troll. Sad that you have to go through all the trouble just to do something like that. Also sad that I'm on your mind so much that you felt the need to.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I posted a link a while ago. Go and educate yourself. Don't turn this into an arts and crafts thread with these questions.

Uhm yeah, that's why I'm asking because you have to browse through the dyes by material, like I said, no idea what type of material as it is not in english. Figured if your lady uses it a lot then you guys could help me out. Was simply asking for your advice, no need to be an ***.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The one that changes the color. It's obvious that poster was a troll. Sad that you have to go through all the trouble just to do something like that. Also sad that I'm on your mind so much that you felt the need to.
Or maybe I have never done this so I am asking your advice because you have done it before.. & I only asked you because you said that the dye you recommended was way better, so please don't flatter yourself.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rit also sells some color fasting stuff that helps the dye adhere. Probably a good idea unless you want some dye on your clothes.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:25 PM
The Grumpiest

Or maybe I have never done this so I am asking your advice because you have done it before.. & I only asked you because you said that the dye you recommended was way better, so please don't flatter yourself.
I call bullshit. Pics of your zebra striped interior.
How hard was it to go to the website and read up yourself? You didn't even try. I'm not affiliated with them. Here's a thought, if you have questions about a product, how about contact the manufacturer?

Not in English? Or maybe it is you can't read English?
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/
All English website.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I call bullshit. Pics of your zebra striped interior.
How hard was it to go to the website and read up yourself? You didn't even try. I'm not affiliated with them. Here's a thought, if you have questions about a product, how about contact the manufacturer?

Not in English? Or maybe it is you can't read English?
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/
All English website.
How about you take your head out of your *** & re-read the things I have said, instead of being an ignorant *****. Or I will just spell it out for you- I have zebra print FLOOR MATS that I want to dye. The website you recommended, you have to search the dye by the type of MATERIAL. I do not know what type of material it is because the package the floor mats came in, IS NOT IN ENGLISH. So I figured I would ask someones ADVICE sinse they had more knowledge than I did in this area. Sorry to think that I could get some positive feedback from someone who says they know what they are talking about.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:02 AM
The Grumpiest

Right. Continue with the charade. Signs up with username Meoow. My avatars have all been mad cats. Didn't read the thread at all and asks questions easily found on thread and on website link. Makes ridiculous claim that he's dyeing zebra striped floor mats pink. Fails to post pic of said mats with foreign language on tag. Sounds about right? I know troll when I smell one.
Uhm yeah, that's why I'm asking because you have to browse through the dyes by material, like I said, no idea what type of material as it is not in english. Figured if your lady uses it a lot then you guys could help me out. Was simply asking for your advice, no need to be an ***.
Did you actually proofread what you wrote here? Makes no sense. So upon re-reading, it's the MATERIAL that is not in English. Ever heard of Google translate? Bablefish? Asking for advise? Obviously you failed to read the thread because it's already been given.
If you've never done it before then how about you go to the support FORUM that they have on the site? It's their product! http://www.jacquardproducts.com/forums/
Look! I type "How to use Jaquard Dye" into a Google search and it takes me to that very forum! The first search result!
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/foru...use-dye-set/p1
Maybe even go to the fabric store and actually look at the back of the bottle for the section that says ""Directions"? People can't even do their own footwork any more.

How about you take your head out of your *** & re-read the things I have said, instead of being an ignorant *****. Or I will just spell it out for you- I have zebra print FLOOR MATS that I want to dye. The website you recommended, you have to search the dye by the type of MATERIAL. I do not know what type of material it is because the package the floor mats came in, IS NOT IN ENGLISH. So I figured I would ask someones ADVICE sinse they had more knowledge than I did in this area. Sorry to think that I could get some positive feedback from someone who says they know what they are talking about.
Bullshit on the zebra print floor mats. Still waiting on that pic. Again, take your mats to JoAnn's and have one of them tell you if it's synthetic or natural fiber. How you don't know this is beyond me.

Anybody else want to act helpless and clueless? I teach middle schoolers that take more initiative than this.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jesus christ...
Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have serious issues buddy.. I really don't understand why you feel the need to put down and humiliate someone that is asking for your help. Won't make that mistake twice. Btw, I'm a girl, thought you would have caught onto that when I said I have zebra floor mats & want to dye them pink. You should take a real good look at yourself in the mirror, people like you disgust me. You think your so much better than everybody else, that when someone actually asks for your advice.. Instead of helping them & being a genuine person, you feel the need to make yourself more superior by putting them down & belittling them. Great way to be. As for being a "troll" think what you want, really doesn't faze me lol. I don't have to prove anything to you, besides how much of an *** you are.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM
The Grumpiest

Pics of mats or move on. All the info you need is on the Jaquard website and Google translate. Same thing for people wanting to use RIT. And your gender is a non-issue here. You could be form Mars for what that's worth.

And the kicker is nothing you posted is Civic related. Nothing. It was a Jaquard dye question best posed on that website. If any of what you're saying is even remotely true then I apologize but it's doubtful.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics of mats or move on. All the info you need is on the Jaquard website and Google translate. Same thing for people wanting to use RIT. And your gender is a non-issue here. You could be form Mars for what that's worth.

And the kicker is nothing you posted is Civic related. Nothing. It was a Jaquard dye question best posed on that website. If any of what you're saying is even remotely true then I apologize but it's doubtful.
If I post a picture will you give a sincere apology ? Not some bullshit apology that you feel that you don't even need to give. No clue as how to post one though, I don't have a computer and am on my phone.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My favorite carpet die I get at dutch bros, I prefer the white mocha color. Simply spill it on the floor about once a week. It won't wash out and has a nice warm tan color.