Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont start sometimes.. No power (electricity) at times...

Old 09-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car wont start sometimes.. No power (electricity) at times...

I know this could be many things but just wondering what could be some things to cause this. Maybe bad relay, bad battery wire, etc. I only ask because I don't know what are symptoms of a bad relay and such, but here is what happens.

It'll be morning, I'll unlock my car via remote, I'll get in the car, put in the key, and there is always power and everything when I put it in accessory mode, but sometimes when I go to start the car, it just cuts out completely and looses ALL power. It acts as if I unplugged the battery. Sometimes when I try to start it, it will cut out when I try to start it, but when I put it back in accessory mode, power returns with all my settings reset (including clock and radio.) Sometimes power will return immediately after putting it back in accessory mode, or sometimes after I try starting it, the car remains dead (with no power in accessory mode) and I just have to wait a few seconds and power comes back on, then when I try to start it again if I'm lucky, it will crank and start right up with no problems.

This happens very randomly. Doesn't matter if it's cold and humid or hot and sunny. I haven't worried much about it since it always will start up after a few tries. But on thursday the thing I feared most happened. I was stuck in morning traffic, the traffic started to move, and I mistakingly stalled when pulling away from 1st gear. Then guess what, after I stalled the car, the car refused to start. I started to panic and kept trying to start it. Every time I tried to start it, all power was lost, then returned. Every time that happened, my alarm would go off because it keeps thinking someone is unplugging and replugging the battery back in. I jumped out of the car in the middle of the road, opened the hood, looked around, slammed the hood closed. and the car started right up again. I hate that this is very random.

I realized that even sometimes after I get the car started, it ends up running on just the pure alternator because the idle gets very choppy. I now know when to be EXTRA careful when taking off from a red light to avoid stalling because I can tell when the car will not start back up. It seems like the battery connects, disconnects on its own. The battery is new so I know it's not the battery itself. Could this possibly be a bad battery wire or something similar?

It's just strange that it's random. I could go 2 days in a row with NO problems. I sometimes try to recreate the problem by shutting off the car and restarting it over and over but it just works fine. I just don't understand how I could first put in the key, have power to all of my electronics, try to start it, then everything dies. I pull out the key and the car acts as if the batt was unplugged. Other times it will have accessory power, I try to start, kills everything, and when I put it back to accessory mode everything immediately comes back on but everything is reset.

I wish I could have made this simpler and I'm sorry, but just can't get the right words out. Has this happened to anyone before? This is VERY frustrating since I do NOT want to hold up morning traffic again Luckily that time not one single person honked at me, and I managed to get the car started back up in under a minute.

Thanks in advance!