Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start, and died on the freeway... help?

Old 10-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start, and died on the freeway... help?

For the last month or two, when accelerating, it feels a bit weak at times (kind of like a stutter here and there when I floor it).

So while driving on the freeway on Thursday, my car goes CLUNK and jerks (kinda like a when you run out of gas)... then i press on the gas pedal and all i get is stuttering, no power, PUTT PUTT PUTT... so i drift over to the side of the freeway in neutral. car shut off while pulling over btw... so i try to start it up again and it cranks, but doesn't turn. I thought hmm, maybe I ran out of gas, so i walked and got 1 gallon of gas and poured it in. when I try to start the car, it cranks, and once in a while i hear the muffler make like a PUTT PUTT or some kind of sound like it's clogged... but motor won't turn over even when i pump the gas or whatevers... one time, i got the motor to start for like 2 seconds, and it died again...

Got it towed home and today I looked at it a little closer. I changed the spark plugs (my old ones were all black on top because I run rich) and poured another 2 gallons of gas in there. That means I should have a good 3 gallons at least in there. There is a pin size hole on the fuel hose from the fuel filter to the fuel rail. Fuel doesn't constantly spray out or anything, but once in a while I see a small spray come out. I'll replace the hose asap. But I don't think that's the problem.

Basically when I crank it, the car just cranks and cranks and once in a while, the muffler goes PUTT PUTT. Once in a blue moon, I do hear the car wanting to turn over. Like maybe for a split second.

Anyone know where I should go from here after changing the fuel hose? I'm thinking ignitor/bad distributor? Or is it possible my fuel pump died? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

Btw, I have a B20B in a 93 Civic (EG) running a 93 Integra ECU. Car's been running great for like 2 years now. Timing belt was never changed if that matters.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Car won't start, and died on the freeway... help? (Tr0LL)

did you do anything prior to this happening to your car? replace anything?

check for fuel , compression, or spark if your getting spark its probally not your distributor right now are you getting pressure at the fuel pressure reg?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Car won't start, and died on the freeway... help? (Tr0LL)

hey did you ever find the problem with your car?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Car won't start, and died on the freeway... help? (0618turbocivic)

im having this exact same problem but its a stock d16y7 and not a swapped car....
Old 11-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start, and died on the freeway... help? (crazycaucazian86)

this could be my problem as well right now...ran into something similar today....I posted a thread called In - n - Out....trying to find some answers.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the rotor button and see if it came off, and check timing and see if it jumped.

Im thinking it sounds like there is a good chance it could be the rotor button, same thing happened in my friends gsr, just died, and would turn over and putt sometimes.

Have you checked to see if your getting spark? Have you checked and see if your getting fuel?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:20 PM

UPDATE: Car seized....i put a quart of oil in a few days before this happened to hold out till tuesday to do my oil change....turns out the engine burns the oil so fast that its no where to be found in the car??? anyways good bye engine.....currently making plans to drop my car off at a shop to put in a b18c1...not what i planned to do to be honest but whatever......

and ever since 110k miles sinc ei got the car it ate thru alot of the oil i gave it.....like around 2.5k miles i would get oil lights so id have to do the changes very often....somehow im not surprised this happened....i couldve prevented this but oh well...

Modified by crazycaucazian86 at 1:57 PM 11/5/2006