Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car will not shift out of park.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car will not shift out of park.

WOOOO Haven't been here in forever! Hey all, this is actually for a 96 Accord but it's pretty much the same on how these solenoids/switches work. My girlfriend's car lately randomly won't shift out of park. I've read plenty about the issue and the problem could either be a brake switch (by the pedal) or the actual Gear Shift Selector safety switch (the one that won't let you shift out of park unless you press on the brakes.) I am going to wait till she comes back and see if the brake lights work. The horn does work, and the fuse is fine.

My main question is, am I able to just remove the safety switch from the gear shift selector untill we can get another? Will it allow me to shift without the switch/solenoid in place?

Tonight I'm going to rule out what the problem is exactly. If it's the brake switch, I'll replace it asap (since brake lights are important.) If the brake switch is fine, I'm going to assume it's the Gear Select Safety Switch (mounted on the shift lever) and remove it for now if I could.

I'm not exactly sure how the switch/solenoid works. I'm not sure if it works by pushing out a pin of the solenoid, or pulling a pin into the solenoid. If it works by pushing out a pin to release something, then removing the switch won't solve anything. She's sick of having to stick a key in the hole to shift most of time. We'll replace it when she gets her next check next week.

Thanks all!

Edit : That safety switch is around $100-$140 from the dealer!!!

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's part #5 on the diagram.

Modified by sageuvagony at 5:06 PM 8/4/2008
Old 08-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car will not shift out of park. (sageuvagony)

dont quote me but i believe those swithes r just like the airbag. just run a jump wire so the comp. thinks its there but will allow you to move the shifter without any problem. (you "saftey" features will be gone)

like i said im not sure. this is just an educated guess
Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car will not shift out of park. (sageuvagony)

just remove the center console and watch how it works, see if you have to have it in or not.
Diagnosing is alittle more complicated than you think it is. do you know how to read a wiring diagram?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Car will not shift out of park.

Be careful with bypassing!

I have this problem in a 1990 Honda Accord, and bypassing the green and white striped wire facing the driver's side on the white switch plastic housing to ground (cigarette lighter socket) will bring on the Park indicator light on the dash, and release the key and allow shifting out of Park, but ....

...if the bypass is left in place while driving, the gear indicator lights (R,N,D4,D3, etc.) will not light up and the xmission booster light will flash on and off until the ignition is shut off. Restarting resets it. I didn't wait to see what other problems might unfold.

So I simply clip the alligator I use to a vent until I notice the Park light will not light in Park, usually in cold weather.

Then I clip it to the lighter socket to bring the P light on, and the key and shifter are released. Then I clip it back on the vent.

Switch replacement doesn't look like a job for the inexperienced. And since this problem is apparently common, it may reoccur with another switch.

I've posted this in more detail in other areas on this site, but I'm new to the site and am having difficulty navigating around the various forums. Like Columbo, I can't even find my own posts! I'll figure it out.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

step on the brake and have someone look, if your brake lights don't illuminate then it's your brake pedal switch that is faulty. Replace it and you'll be fine. What you can do is disconnect the connector on the switch n jump it and see if the lights lit up, if they do you have a bad switch.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it really run off of the break light switch? Or is it a different switch. Because If its a different one for automatics, then I know someone who has one who can sell it to you. He just converted his 99CL to manual. But your saying that it physically wont let you shift out of park? And do you know if the lock solenoid in the shifter is the same part as a 97 Civic? Because I have an auto shifter Assembly which I would let go for about $20-25.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

mine was removed and i could shift with the car even being off =D
Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The shifter interlock switch does work along with the brake switch. I'm not sure if the civic one is compatible but I can check.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check then.