Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car randomly dies while driving/idling

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car randomly dies while driving/idling

Originally Posted by demo_dc2
i just bought a ef with the same prob,,, randomly dies while driving,, or starts n dies,,,then within a few min well start up when it please's :/
i replaced fuel filter,spark plugs,spark plug wires,ran better,,but same prob kept poping up
so ima shoot with dizzy prob. after reading this post,,
and if its not im just goin too crash it into a wall lol
I just went through the same thing, bought a $46 Main Relay which turned out to be the problem. Main Relay was cutting out the fuel pump when it was warm, and would start back up after I sat on the side of the road for about 10 minutes. It would then be good for a little longer and then die again at regular speeds (didn't seem to be selective to stop signs). I have a 2000 Civic w/163K on it, and had also recently replaced plugs, wires, dist cap and entire distributor. To test, I bought the new relay, let the car sit idling in my yard for about 15 minutes until it died. After it died, I tried to start again, it turned fine but was getting no fuel and wouldn't start. I plugged in the new relay and it started right up. It hasn't stalled out since. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Trial User

Have you checked your ECU to c if it is messed up???
Old 07-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I currently just had the same problem with my 92 dx hatch with stock motor. was driving then it backfired, but then it was fine till i got to make a right turn and it just died. i tried restarting it as soon as it died, but didnt want to start, i sat on the side of the road for bout 5 min, with key off. then tried to start it back up again. it started so i started driving, had small backfire(pop) then ran fine. got to another turn then died again. but this time it started right back up. oh and when i started it back up the idle is above 1000 for about a min then goes back down to normal as if it was the fast idle valve. i dont know what the problem could be. any help guys
Old 07-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this problem... grounds and terminals were loose/ rusty

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Trial User

hey guys. my 1990 civic just completely died while i was driving. everything shut off. my car wont even turn over or anything. nothing in the car turns on. but the head lights and break lights still works so its not the battery. any suggestions? im thinking its my ignition switch? or starter? i have no idea. new to the honda scene.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you should create a new thread. But I don't think you can do that until you make so many posts or whatever (I think). But still.... this thread is like, 3 years old.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked your call for the infamous ignition switch recall? If you bring it to the Honda Dealer, they should, by law, replace it for free.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/Ho...20RECALL%20IDS
Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 PM
das
Honda-Tech Member

Check the cheap stuff first --- 1 ) grounds ( price free ) 2 ) main relay ( price free for me because these relays almost never go bad --- the solder joints on the circuit board do -saved 40 -50 bucks by resoldering ). 3 ) plug wires ( check at night if you can while running - look for arching... cost 19.99 to 60$ depending on how often you want to replace them again) 4) Then the distributer / coil / igniter / alternator .
Old 03-03-2013, 04:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bump
Old 09-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vanisher
So some friends and I were testing electrical stuff last night. We tested the main relay bla bla bla.

Somehow one of my friends managed to trip the issue while the car was running. Complete lack of spark and voltage.

We tested the ignition control module and it looked like the culprit. I swapped it and the car is running much smoother now with more power.

It looks like the issue is solved.

Thanks for everyone's help.
1992 Honda VX - 5spd h/b - Canadian model. 301K miles. timing belt looks ok, and am going to have it changed IF we can figure out the issue outlined below.

...SAME ProBLEM HERE, sputtered, loss of power and then died while driving, (engine warm had been on road about 40 miles at interstate speeds, then parked only long enough for a dental appt) When I left the dentist, i drove about 5 miles, and it died, and I coasted to the side of the road. i had dash lights, so i don't think its the ignition switch/wiring. not weather/heat related, (very mild temps when it occurred, both times) i had the main relay done a couple years ago due to heat no start issue. After stalling, it would crank but not turn over. Had it towed to mech, he couldn't get it to start either...it was several hours from initial stall, to tow to his shop. He couldn't get it to start either...he guessed weak spark. he happened to have another civic in his shop with known good dizzy, so he swapped for testing and that fixed my car, so he replaced my dizzy at that time..(reman, lifetime warranty) May 2013...

and it happened again 2 days ago. same issue. driving, stalled, had all dash lights upon stall, cranked, wouldn't turn over. This time i had just started it in parking lot and only driven about 3 miles. had it towed to mech, thankfully i have roadside assistance, & was only 4 miles from his shop this time. This time he was really busy, and the car sat for 2 days. When he tried to start it, it started fine. what do we try now? isn't the ICM and coil INSIDE the dizzy? do those parts come in a reman dizzy? or were my old 'guts' used in the reman one?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I use this as my daily 100 mile r/t commuter, and i can't afford to be stranded in the middle of nowhere the next time it decides to rear it's ugly head again.

I LOVE THIS car and it gets 45 mph if i keep my foot out of the floor. winter gets about 37

Last edited by wehrd1; 09-21-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having similar problems. Much like many of these posts my car will randomly die at any point, except if it dies while driving on the freeway I can give the key a quick turn and all the electrical resets and I can keep going down the road without ever pulling over. It seems that as long as there's still fuel in the system I can do this over and over again, but if I come to a complete stop I have to put it in park and turn the engine over again. I had this issue all last winter, not once during the summer, and now I'm having the problem again with temps in 30s and 40s, so I'm correlating it to the temp outside. I had a mechanic insist it was the distributor, despite me telling him it was only 6 months old and I installed it myself. He still insisted that it was the distributor and I must've put it in wrong. He replaced it and guess what, not the distributor. I had a friend suggest to check the sauder points on the main relay, which I have yet to do. Does anyone have any definitive suggestions before I pull apart my steering column?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by squintsdd
I'm having similar problems. Much like many of these posts my car will randomly die at any point, except if it dies while driving on the freeway I can give the key a quick turn and all the electrical resets and I can keep going down the road without ever pulling over. It seems that as long as there's still fuel in the system I can do this over and over again, but if I come to a complete stop I have to put it in park and turn the engine over again. I had this issue all last winter, not once during the summer, and now I'm having the problem again with temps in 30s and 40s, so I'm correlating it to the temp outside. I had a mechanic insist it was the distributor, despite me telling him it was only 6 months old and I installed it myself. He still insisted that it was the distributor and I must've put it in wrong. He replaced it and guess what, not the distributor. I had a friend suggest to check the sauder points on the main relay, which I have yet to do. Does anyone have any definitive suggestions before I pull apart my steering column?
Some Hondas have issues with the ignition switch. There was a recall on these. Bring your car into the dealer, have them check your vin number and see if your car needs a new ignition switch. If it does, they will replace it for free, parts and labor. Don't worry-- you'll keep the same key. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x02-031e.pdf
Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by seantobin5
Some Hondas have issues with the ignition switch. There was a recall on these. Bring your car into the dealer, have them check your vin number and see if your car needs a new ignition switch. If it does, they will replace it for free, parts and labor. Don't worry-- you'll keep the same key. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x02-031e.pdf
It's a '92, so it doesn't fall under those years, although the ignition switch was my other thought.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Trial User

Icon3 Re: Car randomly dies while driving/idling

Same problem for about a year now. Driving along, just stops. Only did it two or three times and then nothing for months. Also found that after (it cools down, about 10 minutes) it will start right up again, as in previous posts here. This to me has to have some significance. Happened a few times randomly over the year, and recently doing it much more often, very disconcerting. Had it checked for codes, and nothing came up. ????????????????????/
Old 12-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ScoBar
I just went through the same thing, bought a $46 Main Relay which turned out to be the problem. Main Relay was cutting out the fuel pump when it was warm, and would start back up after I sat on the side of the road for about 10 minutes. It would then be good for a little longer and then die again at regular speeds (didn't seem to be selective to stop signs). I have a 2000 Civic w/163K on it, and had also recently replaced plugs, wires, dist cap and entire distributor. To test, I bought the new relay, let the car sit idling in my yard for about 15 minutes until it died. After it died, I tried to start again, it turned fine but was getting no fuel and wouldn't start. I plugged in the new relay and it started right up. It hasn't stalled out since. Good luck!
I had the exact same problem and changing the main relay also worked for me
Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My issue is with the ignition switch. If it takes ten minutes to get the car started it'll most likely be your main relay. My mechanic suggested I use the spare key and it may give me more time before I have to replace the ignition switch. Low and behold he was right. It's only a temporary solution, but it'll give me a little longer before putting any money into the car.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:36 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE=egsix408;38560256]i had a similiar problem. it was the switch on the steering wheel column when you turn the key. my mechanic told me the electronics contact was loose or something like that and if it short while your driving the engine will cut off. Ended up costing me about 80 bucks to repair the thing and now my car runs great.

when it was the key switch on the column did the car start after it sat before you changed the key switch on the column?
Old 04-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Trial User

I too am having the same issue,i drive a 2003 em2 civic and i was driving when all of a sudden my car cut off as if the battery was disconnected but i checked and the battery was securely connected and its only a year old,attempted to turn her back on when i pulled over but no sign of life at all not even a crank,so im thinking maybe the main relay or alternator ?
Old 04-11-2023, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Xev35
I too am having the same issue,i drive a 2003 em2 civic and i was driving when all of a sudden my car cut off as if the battery was disconnected but i checked and the battery was securely connected and its only a year old,attempted to turn her back on when i pulled over but no sign of life at all not even a crank,so im thinking maybe the main relay or alternator ?
Neither of those will be your issue... you should be looking at your main fuse under the hood and the key switch/ignition pigtail for power distribution. This is found on the back side of the key slot of the ignition switch.