Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car hesitates at first and 2nd, please help...Im stumped and have not clue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car hesitates at first and 2nd, please help...Im stumped and have not clue.

I cant figure this out...it has been 6 months and it bothers me. Frankly, it is quite dangerous for me to drive this. I have a 96 EX d16y8 with 88k miles, completely stock vehicle.

I have intermittent hesitation in first and second gear. It is most notable when the car starts up. I start the car, let it warm up a bit. I put the car in first gear and it gets off to a good start. Somewhere between 2k and 3k rpm while still in first, it bogs down or hesitates so I give it more gas. Nothing happens for 1 or 2 seconds then I get a sudden acceleration jerk of power while still in first. This problem occassionally happens in second gear as well. It happens with engine hot or cold, but primarily in the morning after first start. This problem does not occur in any other gear.

The car runs smooth except on occasion the idle dips very low while sitting at the light. The idle problem has gotten better since I cleaned my IACV.

I have done many things to try and resolve this issue which includes,

Recently cleaned IACV
Replaced spark plugs, rotors, cap
Cleaned head, replaced timing belt, water pump and thermostat
Both air temp control sensor and primary 02 sensors tested good
Cam timing is on the money
No FITV to clean

Could this be a result of incorrect installation of timing belt? If so, why is it not happening in other gears.

Could this be a Throttle Positioning Sensor (TPS)?

Could this be a Secondary O2 problem? I cannot take it out to test. How do you test?

Thank you for helping me. I am stumped and scared driving this car. I dont want to pay a mechanic cuz I wont learn anything.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:59 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Car hesitates at first and 2nd, please help...Im stumped and have not clue. (arielb1)

bump i have the same problem. only between 2k and 3k rpm.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:08 PM
KSE

Default Re: Car hesitates at first and 2nd, please help...Im stumped and have not clue. (ham)

same also, severe bogging below 3000 rpms, revs real slow and power seems lacking throught the whole band but only hesitation below 3k. i can floor it and for a full second it wont budge and then it starts and shoots forward after ~3000 rpms.

Occasionally it will work fine, say once a month and im shocked at how much power is lost due to this problem. but then itll go back to bogging within a few hours.

replaced: distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs & wires, fuel filter, primary O2.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car hesitates at first and 2nd, please help...Im stumped and have not clue. (KSE)

Bump....please please...anyone!

I was told to remove my fuel injectors and have them professionally cleaned. Not sure if this would be the fix since the problem is intermittent.

thanks all
Old 06-03-2005, 06:13 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car hesitates at first and 2nd, please help...Im stumped and have not clue. (arielb1)

mine did it before and after i upgraded my injectors.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your fuel system, try reseting your ECU, and also check your electrical system (Alternator, Battery, and wires that connect them).
Old 06-03-2005, 06:49 PM

make sure that timing is str8 uptop and at tha crank.. its probably too retarded.. at tha bottom..
check your grounds..
check your filters.. fuel and air..
check tha gaps on your plugs..

make sure everything is plugged basically..
is there a cel light on?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:30 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

i found out what my problem was that is similar to yours. im low on compression on #2 cylinder. only 120psi, should be 180-220. it ran totally fine at higher rpm didnt seem like there was a loss of power. the plug wasnt even discolored!!